Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or Ceramaic Coating - Choose One?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going for PPF as Well and I would hardly recommend it. I’ve spent numerous hours reaserching about it and talked to many owners who had it done. But I don’t think ceramic coating and PPF are in the same price range.

Ceramic is good for keeping your car like glossy and clean most of the time where as PPF is self healing film which protects the paint.

I’m going for PPF as Well and I would hardly recommend it. I’ve spent numerous hours reaserching about it and talked to many owners who had it done. But I don’t think ceramic coating and PPF are in the same price range.

Ceramic is good for keeping your car like glossy and clean most of the time where as PPF is self healing film which protects the paint.

Not all PPF is self healing I believe. The old good, better and best.

I’m getting the Xpel Ultimate of Stealth. Haven’t decided which one out of these two.

If you get stealth just an FYI you will need custom install not template it’s usually a lot more $ as they have cut it by hand so no edges show. If you get standard precut then you’ll see shiny paint on the edges where the ppf doesn’t cover. I’ve had ultimate on my Q7 and I don’t love the edges either but not noticeable unless close up. I’ll be getting stealth custom so there’s no exposed edges.

Any suggestions about where any of this can be done in the GTA?

I’m getting mine done with Smartdetail.ca. He’s done a few of my cars and it looks great. Here’s some of my Q7 with ultimate and opticoat pro done with smart detail;
Dropbox - IMG_0659.jpg
Dropbox - IMG_0661.jpg
Dropbox - IMG_0664.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Keep in mind that even with PPF, if you have a rock chip it may still not heal and the chip on the PPF will be visible. So if you care about the appearance of your car currently, then the PPF, usually just the front, will still need to be replaced at your discretion. The paint underneath will still be pristine.

I’m getting mine done with Smartdetail.ca. He’s done a few of my cars and it looks great.

Just an update. Just got mine back after dropping it off on Wednesday. Was originally going to do full xpel stealth but decided to do full front and doors xpel ultimate ppf along with opticoat pro plus.

Looks great and super shiny. I couldn’t even get any good pictures it was blinding in the sun lol. Anyway recommend smartdetail competitive prices and looks great

5CA3DA21-F9B9-403E-85CC-ADBD2128EB3A.jpeg
7DE081D6-996F-471C-9B72-0B03DD6F7B67.jpeg
F2E76D7C-B48D-45FE-BCBA-6B7E2429B7BE.jpeg
66A7E8F0-C1E2-4CE0-846C-9B6C270FF366.jpeg

Reactions: McCaesar and P85_DA
If you get stealth just an FYI you will need custom install not template it’s usually a lot more $ as they have cut it by hand so no edges show. If you get standard precut then you’ll see shiny paint on the edges where the ppf doesn’t cover. I’ve had ultimate on my Q7 and I don’t love the edges either but not noticeable unless close up. I’ll be getting stealth custom so there’s no exposed edges.

Pre cut does not exist for Model 3

Just an update. Just got mine back after dropping it off on Wednesday. Was originally going to do full xpel stealth but decided to do full front and doors xpel ultimate ppf along with opticoat pro plus.

Looks great and super shiny. I couldn’t even get any good pictures it was blinding in the sun lol. Anyway recommend smartdetail competitive prices and looks great

View attachment 310337 View attachment 310338 View attachment 310339 View attachment 310340

Looks great! What was the cost?

Vin

View attachment 310337 View attachment 310338 View attachment 310339 View attachment 310340

Can you take some up close pictures of the exposed edges and the underside of the frunk edges if you have a moment please?

Also, can you share the cost breakdown? Thank you.

Pre cut does not exist for Model 3

Xpel precut is available and is what most xpel installers are using for the bumpers at the very least.

Looks great! What was the cost?

Vin

- Full Front: $1650
- Opti-Coat Pro: $1000
- Opti-Coat Pro Plus: $1300

I went with opticoat pro plus and full front. Also did doors that’s around $1200 extra was well worth it since my other car first week got a mark in the door at tim hortons which disappeared shortly after in the sun.

Was tempted to do full vehicle as it was almost there but for budgeting went for almost there

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ