Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or no PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a very good price though I don't know how Suntek compares to Xpel. Almost anything would be better than the Tesla paint though. I think the Tesla that needs it the most is the Y with that big fat slab of a nose. I am glad I did my S but likely won't do my 3 unless just the nose.
I watched a fair number of videos of wrap shops comparing 4-5 brands of wrap and XPel was never in the top two of any of their tests.

I’ve used PPF in the past but I’m not sure that it actually helps with the value of the vehicle after several years. I typically get my car prepped before selling and if it’s several years old paint chips are expected when I trade it. It ‘may’ make the car stand out when it comes time to sell privately but I doubt a dealer will take much notice.

I was quoted £5k for my Y for PPF. I could get the front painted for far less than that if I had to and that would depend on how much they wanted to knock me down on price. Most times it has been far cheaper to take a hit then get it done and some people/dealers wanted to spray it themselves anyway.

Just my two cents

Reactions: 2101Guy
I’ve used PPF in the past but I’m not sure that it actually helps with the value of the vehicle after several years. I typically get my car prepped before selling and if it’s several years old paint chips are expected when I trade it. It ‘may’ make the car stand out when it comes time to sell privately but I doubt a dealer will take much notice.

I was quoted £5k for my Y for PPF. I could get the front painted for far less than that if I had to and that would depend on how much they wanted to knock me down on price. Most times it has been far cheaper to take a hit then get it done and some people/dealers wanted to spray it themselves anyway.

Just my two cents
I don't do it for resale value. I do it because it makes the car look freshly washed even after a couple of weeks and because I like to park without stressing about minor door scratches.

That's a very good price though I don't know how Suntek compares to Xpel. Almost anything would be better than the Tesla paint though. I think the Tesla that needs it the most is the Y with that big fat slab of a nose. I am glad I did my S but likely won't do my 3 unless just the nose.

I’ve had both and I personally prefer Suntek over Xpel. Both are good products though. Pricing is the very similar.

This is what my rear rocker panels look like only a month after PPF… I hope the paint underneath is still OK, but what to do about the PPF? Looks awful, and I’m sure this is beyond the ability to self heal (I have Suntek). This is not dirt or anything else on the PPF, it’s damage to the PPF itself, I just washed it thoroughly (by hand).

Thoughts? Know I need mudflaps, I’ll get them as soon as they’re back in stock…

Attachments

• 00F0E93E-93D6-49A7-AA75-7623163C8FAC.jpeg
    00F0E93E-93D6-49A7-AA75-7623163C8FAC.jpeg
    514.3 KB · Views: 176
  • E6FF0C89-8E4A-4CB6-89D8-6BDFB9FE0B2C.jpeg
    E6FF0C89-8E4A-4CB6-89D8-6BDFB9FE0B2C.jpeg
    709.8 KB · Views: 145
This is what my rear rocker panels look like only a month after PPF… I hope the paint underneath is still OK, but what to do about the PPF? Looks awful, and I’m sure this is beyond the ability to self heal (I have Suntek). This is not dirt or anything else on the PPF, it’s damage to the PPF itself, I just washed it thoroughly (by hand).

Thoughts? Know I need mudflaps, I’ll get them as soon as they’re back in stock…
WOW. And that’s with stock 19” wheels. I have aftermarket 21’s with a low offset (the tires protrude out more than stock) and don’t have any of that rash. If that is truly all impact marks I suspect it didn’t make it through the PPF. That said, only way to fix that is have those portions of PPF replaced.

Curious: you drive on dirt roads often? Heavily salted roads?

WOW. And that’s with stock 19” wheels. I have aftermarket 21’s with a low offset (the tires protrude out more than stock) and don’t have any of that rash. If that is truly all impact marks I suspect it didn’t make it through the PPF. That said, only way to fix that is have those portions of PPF replaced.

Curious: you drive on dirt roads often? Heavily salted roads?

No dirt or gravel roads, but our roads are heavily salted and gravelled in winter. They haven’t swept yet so all that gravel always builds up and by this time of year we may as well be on gravel roads. When I get winters next year, I think I’ll explore an offset that pulls the wheels into the wells a bit more… That’s after only about 2000 miles, most of it highway.

I’m off to the detail shop today to see if they offer something more durable for that area.

That’s fair and I appreciate people that look after their cars and keep them nice. I typically park next to them in parking lots as I trust them to not ding mine!
I always park far away and 95% of the time, in an End spot, AND close to the curb. That reduces chance of a door ding by well over 50%.
My last S had zero door dings, car before that zero, as was the car before that.

I always park far away and 95% of the time, in an End spot, AND close to the curb. That reduces chance of a door ding by well over 50%.
My last S had zero door dings, car before that zero, as was the car before that.
I use that tactic. I have a favourite spot right next to a massive support pillar which is a longer walk (30 seconds) to the store and it’s always empty, and even though the bay is marked for three cars physically, only two can actually fit. Every time I park in the slot someone parks next to the other pillar and no one takes the middle.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
I picked up my 2022 Model 3 Performance and took it straight to a PPF shop. Now I am seeing this seam-line now that it’s collecting some dirt on the right side. The left side is perfect. The person who did the job told me it’s normal but I don’t know. Regretting spending the cash on the job as it look better without the ppf at this rate.

Looks like a bad wrap job - the ppf is supposed to be tucked under the headlight there.

A full wrap in CA is typically $5k plus, so you got it at a good rate at least.

Yup - don't forget the ceramic coating on top of the PPF, an extra $2-3K...

I did full frontal PPF + full Ceramic Pro Gold (lifetime) on my '21 MS LR. Don't regret it one bit. Car looks brand new every time it gets washed. Wanted to do full PPF in satin but didn't want to pony up the extra $$$. Maybe next time...

For the price of PPF you can just repaint any damage 😂
Depends on how much you paid for the wrap and I considered that when I was near a painter who did great work. The challenge is if you are trading in to a wholesaler, many of them are checking with a paint gauge for any paintwork. On an expensive car, it can be a big hit against your resale value PLUS whatever you spent to have it painted.

I wished I had saved the thread from a forum member here who had a greatly diminished offer on his Tesla on trade in just due to the painting Tesla did upfront to make it acceptable for him to even take delivery of the car. No other paintwork than Tesla fixing the eff ups in the sometimes crappy QC process. YMMV of course but I can say when I was shopping my Y for sale I know for certain one of the dealers I took it to did measure the paint depth.

I picked up my 2022 Model 3 Performance and took it straight to a PPF shop. Now I am seeing this seam-line now that it’s collecting some dirt on the right side. The left side is perfect. The person who did the job told me it’s normal but I don’t know. Regretting spending the cash on the job as it look better without the ppf at this rate.
How can that be “normal” if the other side is perfect?

Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with applying a PPF on their own. I watched a video of (Bearded Tesla Guy) who bought a pre-cut PPF and while not perfect, was able to do the front of his car for around $300. If it worked out, where did you get the pre-cut PPF from (for a Model Y)? One I saw only covered half the hood for some odd reason....