Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or no PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I skipped PPF and decided just to do 5yr ceramic coating to help with hydrophobic properties making it easier to keep clean, wash every few weeks, and keep it's showroom shine. The primary reason I didn't go with PPF is because I felt the cost was a bit too high fo the amt of rock chips I'd see on the vehicle.

Reactions: rmeliot
Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with applying a PPF on their own. I watched a video of (Bearded Tesla Guy) who bought a pre-cut PPF and while not perfect, was able to do the front of his car for around $300. If it worked out, where did you get the pre-cut PPF from (for a Model Y)? One I saw only covered half the hood for some odd reason....
Ive done my wifes Y and my S hood with great success. Precut sheets from North Tint. Hoods are on the easier scale as there are no curves. I found a local detailer guy who does PPF here in VA who did my front bumper for my for $300 total. I watched youtube vids for my hood. I also got a quality squeegee for the job, did it inside my garage, and set aside several hours to take my time. Came out really well, but I'd not try a bumper just yet for me

Reactions: rmeliot
Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with applying a PPF on their own. I watched a video of (Bearded Tesla Guy) who bought a pre-cut PPF and while not perfect, was able to do the front of his car for around $300. If it worked out, where did you get the pre-cut PPF from (for a Model Y)? One I saw only covered half the hood for some odd reason....
You get what you pay for. Anyone can perform brain surgery. The issue is the outcome. 😎

You get what you pay for. Anyone can perform brain surgery. The issue is the outcome. 😎
I just spoke with the owner who bought my first 2014 Model S (107K miles). He told me that after 8 years in the FL sun, he had just had the PPF removed, as it was weakening on the hood. He said it came off of the fenders and mirrors like peeling a banana. The hood was a little tougher, but underneath he found a new car with a brand new paint job. The PPF had worked diligently for all of its life protecting Tessie1 from the sun, nicks, stones, and the elements of Florida. It has gone above and beyond through hot, hot sun and multiple hurricanes and still held up. The PPF deserves to spend the rest of its life in a cool, cool garbage can in retirement. Job well done. A nice coat of Chemical Guys WET will leave Tessie1 shining more than she did on the first day I saw her.

I have to say I am more torn on this than I was before. I wrapped my refreshed S and glad I did it. It was at a price that was a no brainer. On the flip side, my '22 M3 I wasn't able to get in to do the front as originally intended as there were delivery issues with my S and if I drove it, would make them worse. So when I had planned to get the 3 into to PPF I ended up driving it. Then we sold our backup car and 3k miles later still haven't put PPF on the 3 yet.

So what have I learned? The Model 3 paint has held up better than I thought it would. At the same time, I haven't driven as much long distances as I thought or in areas with as many trucks as I mightt usually drive.

Would I pay 6-7k to PPF the car knowing what I know now, unlikely. In the 4-5k range, it is worth for me. Especially on the S. We moved to a new place with a smaller garage. Entering the garage from the house you have to enter right along the S and not a lot of room. My wife is always carrying something in her hands like a handbag, briefcase, etc. She goes right along the S to her car which has more room. Invariably she bounces, scrapes, hits and generally touches the S at some point along her path.

Even though she is generally careful doo doo happens. The PPF on the side of the car has already saved a lot of headaches She never hits the car hard enough to dent but likely would have took a toll on the paint. So very glad I did it on the S.

Since the paint has held up pretty well on the front of the 3, I am a bit torn. I am reconsidering going full PPF on it and just doing the front. I'll probably PPF the front where most of the hits willl be an ceramic coat the rest. I feel ceramic coat is a must if you PPF a white car. Where you can't wrap the edges of the PPF results in a line of dirt and it is VERY obvious on a white car if in a conspicuous place.

So that will be a good compromise on the 3 and make it easy to clean. Every day I am glad though I did full PPF on the S. I also did ceramic coating on it as well and makes it super easy to clean. Considering the cost of the S, it was a price I was willing to pay (for both) just to make it less hassle and easier to clean.

Reactions: cmarshack
Ghaaaaaaa! I’m picking up my MYP in black this week and I’m so torn. This thread hasn’t helped me decide at all! Lol. I agree with both sides. My experience with my M3 is that the paint is worst on the bumpers. I had 3 rock chips the day I drove it home. After a few more I had it repainted. Haven’t had another chip in over a year. Theres actually a paint "softener" that’s supposed to be used when painting plastics, I don’t think Tesla does this. I’m more concerned of scratches than rock chips at this point…

Reactions: DblOSmith
My experience (other cars) with black paint, is that it looks AWESOME when perfect. but can be ANNOYING to keep perfect. Swirls, smears, things that dont show up much at all on say, white. I'd almost be tempted to PPF my entire car if I had black, if just to not have microscratches/swirls at all
^^ What he said. Black is beautiful... but only what it is clean and pristine.

I'll never buy another black car, especially since I am in hot climates as well. So hard to keep the water spots off, swirl marks, dents from showing, etc. OTOH at least with PPF you can help prevent some of those things. I hate to say it I pretty much buy white all the time now as there are a lot fewer issues with it in the climate I live in and minor imperfections aren't as obvious other than with the typical Tesla mismatched bumper paint.

Teslas have this flat bumper as opposed to heavy grill cars ie. bmw, Audi, lexus etc where the grill takes the majority of the abuse .

I’d spring min for front bumper, hood and side mirrors. Keep it down to $1200 or so and achieve the safety factor plus longevity for the most heavily bombarded areas.

Peace of mind…

$8k? YIKES. Ok, I was thinking full PPF was still in the $4k range or so. I personally could not stomach $8k for PPF. But to each his own.

That said...man..when I had black? There were times when I'd have spent HOURS on the wash/clean/claybar/polish/sealant, etc. And it would look AWESOME.

Then I'd back it out of the garage and see a hologram here, some sort of smear there. and I'd almost start crying as I knew it meant more buffing, wiping, looking at it at different angles, etc.

With white? I have NONE of those issues.

$8k? YIKES. Ok, I was thinking full PPF was still in the $4k range or so. I personally could not stomach $8k for PPF. But to each his own.

That said...man..when I had black? There were times when I'd have spent HOURS on the wash/clean/claybar/polish/sealant, etc. And it would look AWESOME.

Then I'd back it out of the garage and see a hologram here, some sort of smear there. and I'd almost start crying as I knew it meant more buffing, wiping, looking at it at different angles, etc.

lmao. I feel that way right now with my MSM 3P. like its literally filthy with dirt (nothing like mud). but with a ceramic coat from far away looks super shiny and clean still. My favorite car color has always been black though. It definitely has the lowest of low but the highest high of all the colors imo.

Yeah not thrilled with 8K, maybe I'll reconsider :D

My experience (other cars) with black paint, is that it looks AWESOME when perfect. but can be ANNOYING to keep perfect. Swirls, smears, things that dont show up much at all on say, white. I'd almost be tempted to PPF my entire car if I had black, if just to not have microscratches/swirls at all
Your comment is reminding me of the two Mercedes Benzes I once owned, many years ago. I always bought used cars, and once had a 1982 MB 300D Turbodiesel sedan, black on black. It had the most impressive paint on any car I had owned. When I waxed it up, I felt as though I could look down into it for miles! But my next car was ten years newer, also black on black, 1 300D 2.5 Turbo. It just did not have the same luster or paint depth. I was never sure whether the difference was from a change in how MB painted their cars over the intervening years, or just due to the circumstances of the two cars. (I knew the 1992 car had been owned by someone who lived near the ocean, so that may well have been a factor.) I loved the shine on that '82, but I am no longer keen on doing the work to wax a car (plus it is not allowed at my condo anyway)...

I did a full xpel ultimate ppf after delivery and no regrets for me. Also DIYed Cquartz Ceramic Coating and Gliss afterwards. I knew the PPF was going to "protect" the paint and that was why i did a full wrap, what i didn't expect or realize was how much easier it was to keep the car clean with the PPF.

my washing routing is to just wipe it down with a soaked MF towel to get all the dirt and grime off, then spray/wipe with either CarPro Reload or Hydr02 for the shine gloss. With the PPF i dont worry about making paint swirls during my wash, very water effcient, dont need to drag out a hose or other equipment.

the ceramic coating may also be helping - but with the ppf i have no concerns about paint swirls, small scratches happen but self heal in the sun

You still get scratches hologram and swirl even with PPF. In my experience it's just as bad as paint. Not sure if my install is a factor or what, but it was one by a very reputable shop.

Going Black this time and considering a full ppf and ceramic. pricey but don't want to deal with the heart attacks when something bumps or scratches the side of the car. quoted price is around 8K
Oof, I think I got a quote from the same place... $8K for full ppf on a MX. It happen to be in Fremont?

FYI the cheapest place I found that has good reviews and rolls the edges/corners (many places don't) is Jeremy at Invisiguard Clear Bra. This was two years ago so the price likely went up but at the time it was $4500 for a complete PPF on a X.

Let me know what you end up choosing, I have a black MS coming soon and will be getting full PPF for it (a must IMHO if you get black)

Last edited: