Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or no PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was going to go with the full stealth treatment but decided to keep it glossy.
Full PPF and ceramic coat… picking her up in a couple hours. Most money I’ve ever spent on something invisible… lol
You will be glad you did. And it never made any sense to me to dull a nice shiny new car. That's like taking your new running shoes through the mud just because they look "too new." To each their own, but while they are at it, why don't they dent it with a hammer too? Just for effect.

You will be glad you did. And it never made any sense to me to dull a nice shiny new car. That's like taking your new running shoes through the mud just because they look "too new." To each their own, but while they are at it, why don't they dent it with a hammer too? Just for effect.
Lol. The shop did a really good job. The part I’m surprised about is how it’s unfortunately amplified the teslas orange peel paint. It’s just so glossy now! And hopefully it’ll stay glossy and not all swirl marked and rock chipped… otherwise what’s the point.

Reactions: Fairchild
Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with applying a PPF on their own. I watched a video of (Bearded Tesla Guy) who bought a pre-cut PPF and while not perfect, was able to do the front of his car for around $300. If it worked out, where did you get the pre-cut PPF from (for a Model Y)? One I saw only covered half the hood for some odd reason....
Bad juju. Would you install your own pacemaker?
The hours and headaches you spend, you can just work a few hours overtime and pay for it and not end up with a job where you always focus on the mistakes you made. Not worth it.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Bad juju. Would you install your own pacemaker?
The hours and headaches you spend, you can just work a few hours overtime and pay for it and not end up with a job where you always focus on the mistakes you made. Not worth it.

Likening installing PPF to implanting a pacemaker is non-sensical. One requires years of competitive training and licensure, the other, minimal training and no certifications.

How about ceramic coating? The going rate to do that is $800-$1000, but it's easy to do oneself in a few hours.

I agree a bit of hyperbole to compare PPF installation to implanting a pacemaker. At the same time, I got the point of leaving it to the experts. I don't have the time or patience to try and learn it. I did car window tinting while in college and probably would do ok at doing my own PPF.

When I looked at a complete kit for the full car, I was looking at about $2700 from a reputable company.

I'd be looking at at least that amount assuming I got it right the first time which is unlikely. The complete install options in my area where overprices. I was being quoted about 7k w/tax or to PPF the car.

That was a hard pass as it wasn't worth it to me. By shopping around a bit I found a company, negotiated a group buy and they did a great job and saved me enough money to make the cost:benefit ratio worth it. A 10 year warranty is a big plus for me. Sadly doing it has paid off far more than I thought it would already. I would have already had to deal with a lot of impacts/damage to the paint that the PPF just pretty much shrugged off.

Best save was when the garage door came down when somehow my child was playing with my phone and triggered the rear hatch to go up. They met somewhere in the middle. The PPF just shrugged the impact with the metal door off and I couldn't even tell. It likely would have taken off a good 12" section of paint on the hatch.

Likening installing PPF to implanting a pacemaker is non-sensical. One requires years of competitive training and licensure, the other, minimal training and no certifications.

How about ceramic coating? The going rate to do that is $800-$1000, but it's easy to do oneself in a few hours.
Are you serious? You thought I was serious? I was making a point. I have several installers close by, but I go to the one about 30 miles away because he has over ten years of training and experience in prepping, paint correction, deep washing, pumicing, cutting, stretching, heating, removing lights and cameras, drying, cross-checking, applying coatings, applying carbon fiber, installing mud flaps, installing decals and satin finish. And it shows. Actually come to think he could probably teach the pacemaker dude a thing or two.

They are some folks who like to get their hair cut at the training salon (or better yet have their wife cut it) and get their health care at the county health department. There's a lot more to installing PPF correctly than meets the eye and believe me it shows. Did you read here about the guy whose PPF peeled? And be certain you get an installer who is certified! Yes, certified.

The ceramic coating on top of PPF is at the top of the heap. Otherwise, it's not much better than a good quality wax job. The paint protection film is the better choice if your main concern involves scratches, chips, and such. Ceramic coating can prevent these things to some degree, but the malleability and self-healing properties of the other make it more able to prevent damage to your car. PPF can also “self-heal.” The ceramic coating does not have this ability, therefore not eliminating the risk of scratches, chips, or water spots. PPF is the ONLY way to prevent physical damage, rock chips and scratches from happening to your car! PPF is the KING! However, the ceramic coating does have its strengths in protecting against weather, dust, grime, pollution and some bird droppings. PPF protects against the chemicals inside of bugs to include love bugs and it's almost a necessity in FL and other southern states.

After my car with PPF was keyed, I had my installer pull off the PPF and replace it with new. About $150. Ceramic can't do that, but it affords some protection. I do think one could more easily learn to put on ceramic coating by yourself.

See the T installed on the front of the car. My installer is so experienced that he set it up so that if you hit a pedestrian, it acts as a defibrillator. Please don't respond to that one. Seriously, you can genuinely tell a good install from five feet away. And Ceramic vs PPF is based on personal preference and budget.

Attachments

• PPF Front minus duck bill. jpg.jpg
    PPF Front minus duck bill. jpg.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: Destiny1701
Are you serious? You thought I was serious? I was making a point. I have several installers close by, but I go to the one about 30 miles away because he has over ten years of training and experience in prepping, paint correction, deep washing, pumicing, cutting, stretching, heating, removing lights and cameras, drying, cross-checking, applying coatings, applying carbon fiber, installing mud flaps, installing decals and satin finish. And it shows. Actually come to think he could probably teach the pacemaker dude a thing or two.

They are some folks who like to get their hair cut at the training salon (or better yet have their wife cut it) and get their health care at the county health department. There's a lot more to installing PPF correctly than meets the eye and believe me it shows. Did you read here about the guy whose PPF peeled? And be certain you get an installer who is certified! Yes, certified.

The ceramic coating on top of PPF is at the top of the heap. Otherwise, it's not much better than a good quality wax job. The paint protection film is the better choice if your main concern involves scratches, chips, and such. Ceramic coating can prevent these things to some degree, but the malleability and self-healing properties of the other make it more able to prevent damage to your car. PPF can also “self-heal.” The ceramic coating does not have this ability, therefore not eliminating the risk of scratches, chips, or water spots. PPF is the ONLY way to prevent physical damage, rock chips and scratches from happening to your car! PPF is the KING! However, the ceramic coating does have its strengths in protecting against weather, dust, grime, pollution and some bird droppings. PPF protects against the chemicals inside of bugs to include love bugs and it's almost a necessity in FL and other southern states.

After my car with PPF was keyed, I had my installer pull off the PPF and replace it with new. About $150. Ceramic can't do that, but it affords some protection. I do think one could more easily learn to put on ceramic coating by yourself.

See the T installed on the front of the car. My installer is so experienced that he set it up so that if you hit a pedestrian, it acts as a defibrillator. Please don't respond to that one. Seriously, you can genuinely tell a good install from five feet away. And Ceramic vs PPF is based on personal preference and budget.

I'm just saying it's not crazy to try to install PPF yourself. I've even painted portions of my cars myself (with zero experience) and it turned out nice. Your PPF guy sounds good though. My PPF installer was also very good, but the film itself seems lacking.

I installed PPF on my wifes Y hood and my S hood. Ended up great, but also taught me that I would NOT attempt the front bumpers. Too many curves to experiment on which raises risk of destroying the expensive piece of PPF. I outsourced the bumper PPF work. I dont need PPF on any other part of the cars. (based on my many years of history with many many vehicles that Ive bought/sold over the years)

Last edited:
Was going to go with the full stealth treatment but decided to keep it glossy.
Full PPF and ceramic coat… picking her up in a couple hours. Most money I’ve ever spent on something invisible… lol
I was also thinking stealth but went gloss instead. Every time I see a matte Tesla I'm glad I went gloss. Did whole Tesla and topped it with Halo, see it here DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

I picked up my 2022 Model 3 Performance and took it straight to a PPF shop. Now I am seeing this seam-line now that it’s collecting some dirt on the right side. The left side is perfect. The person who did the job told me it’s normal but I don’t know. Regretting spending the cash on the job as it look better without the ppf at this rate.
I did my own PPF so I know that edge collecting dust is not layed down. The last thing during installation is using a heat gun and a ghost glove on all edges . DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

I'm a PPF proponent on cars bought new including the front windshield with an optically clear film designed for auto glass.

Even in the first week enjoying my '23 MSP, I can see first hand that the paint's susceptible to chipping not helped by the super sticky PS4S tires.

I'm parking the e-beast until my PPF appointment. Front bumper, hood, front quarters, windshield, front doors, rear doors, rear quarters + 20% tint.

Can't wait!

I picked up my 2023 MSLR 6/27, and it is scheduled for PPF “Competition Package,” tint, and full ceramic day after tomorrow.

Here is installers PPF pricing:

“$2100 Full Front
$3300 Competition Package
$6800 Full Car

Competition package adds a pillars, headlights, side rockers , rock guards and a section in front and behind the rear tires and bumper. You could then step up the coating to a higher silica dioxide content for the unwrapped areas. Full cars are so expensive due to the time/labor hours to do them.”

Three Questions:

Any opinions on value of competition package over front only (I see MS comes with some thick/ugly PPF on rear fenders);

Any opinions on PPF on windsheild … or Glass Protector Film, as suggested above by bkcyk; and,

Does anyone remove the OEM PPF in the rear fenders prior to applying aftermarket PPF?

Here is photo of OEM PPF on fender:

1688569191741.jpeg

I am also doing a competitive package equivalent. The factory-installed ppf is removed by the detailer prior to her prep. The only thing I am on the fence about is ceramic coating. I do love how the water beads off, and it makes cleaning the car off with one of those special waterless wash concoctions. However, I am curious if I can just take my car home after the ppf install, and add the ceramic myself?

Reactions: Mayer