Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF over PPF for Front Plate and Carpool Stickers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model3 is afflicted with the California virus, symptoms include a front license plate and lavender carpool lane stickers.

I found an interesting post about applying PPF to the paint then sticking the license plate to that. I was also thinking about buying the Bandit license plate holder but I actually prefer the way the stock one looks.

I have been told that PPF over PPF probably won't work properly, so the PPF I have had applied would need to be redone if I applied the factory license plate holder?. This correct? So basically I now I kind of have to buy the Bandit to install the front plate?

Also, I'm not sure what to do for the carpool lane stickers. I was going to apply them to a PPF backing then apply the PPF to the car, but it sounds like that won't be a viable way to apply them now. I'm thinking to do the PPF trick but only install the rear stickers since the front sticker would destroy my PPF?

People in the forum had mentioned that they applied the factory plate holder on top of PPF without issue. There are also other non-permanent cheaper solutions such as suction cups, and lag bolts.

For HOV sticker, you could still do the PPF cut out option for the rear unless you had already PPFed your whole car. There's also another solution CA HOV sticker reapplication and paint protection solution

I need something more semi permanent than those^ as I will be using the carpool lane daily until they take it away form me. PPF should work for the rear, but I will not be able to put a sticker on the front :( Or are you suggesting I get that material for just the front sticker?

The license plate mount should stick to the PPF, but if I ever need to replace it (breaks, and screw strips etc) it will pull the PPF off. I might have to order the Bandit :(

The CHP probably will not hassle you if you don't have the front sticker but have the rear stickers, just keep the front one in the glove box.
I plan to run no front plate until I get a fix it ticket, I carry the front plate with suction cup in my frunk in case I need to use it.

I have been told that PPF over PPF probably won't work properly, so the PPF I have had applied would need to be redone if I applied the factory license plate holder?. This correct? So basically I now I kind of have to buy the Bandit to install the front plate?
I have my front carpool sticker on PPF on PPF. It seems to be sticking fine so far. I'm not going to run a front plate until I get a fix it ticket. I went ten years without one before.

I have my stickers on film, rear bumper only - front one is in the glove box. I did go with the front plate, black legacy Ca plate which seems to go better (for me) with the red car. Red car, in carpool lane, driving 'quickly' - I wanted to minimize the reasons to be stopped but since I have film on the front bumper I wasn't willing to risk damaging that film with film on top...

My Model3 is afflicted with the California virus, symptoms include a front license plate and lavender carpool lane stickers.

I found an interesting post about applying PPF to the paint then sticking the license plate to that. I was also thinking about buying the Bandit license plate holder but I actually prefer the way the stock one looks.

Also, I'm not sure what to do for the carpool lane stickers. I was going to apply them to a PPF backing then apply the PPF to the car, but it sounds like that won't be a viable way to apply them now. I'm thinking to do the PPF trick but only install the rear stickers since the front sticker would destroy my PPF?
You got your lavender stickers already?

I have my stickers on film, rear bumper only - front one is in the glove box. I did go with the front plate, black legacy Ca plate which seems to go better (for me) with the red car. Red car, in carpool lane, driving 'quickly' - I wanted to minimize the reasons to be stopped but since I have film on the front bumper I wasn't willing to risk damaging that film with film on top...

You just stuck the factory front plate holder on over the PPF then?

You got your lavender stickers already?
No but January is just around the corner. I plan to apply on Jan 2nd.

@Glamisduner

I went the ppf sticker method. I tried manually cutting the stickers but didn't work out too well so I used a vinyl cutter and made a template. I got a full clear brah installed and was able to apply PPF HOV sticker on top - holds well and looks good.

From 3M PPF guidance doc: if film is difficult to remove due to age or cold temp, clothes steamer, heat gun or hair dryer can be used to soften the adhesive.

Best take away is the peace of mind when I eventually take them off.

If you or anyone else here interested in a PPF template hit me up!

Reactions: Glamisduner
You just stuck the factory front plate holder on over the PPF then?
I did. I have XPEL Stealth with a Ceramic Pro coating and I just applied the factory front plate holder over that. It seems quite secure.

And I like the look of the plate in front as it breaks up the Model 3’s flat nose:

I’m planning to apply the HOV stickers using that CA HOV sticker reapplication and paint protection solution. Just waiting for the stickers to arrive.

Reactions: Glamisduner
@Glamisduner

I went the ppf sticker method. I tried manually cutting the stickers but didn't work out too well so I used a vinyl cutter and made a template. I got a full clear brah installed and was able to apply PPF HOV sticker on top - holds well and looks good.

From 3M PPF guidance doc: if film is difficult to remove due to age or cold temp, clothes steamer, heat gun or hair dryer can be used to soften the adhesive.

Best take away is the peace of mind when I eventually take them off.

If you or anyone else here interested in a PPF template hit me up!
I don't have a vinyl cutter but I should be getting my stickers soon. It's already been a month, how long does it take! How would I use this template? My Plan was to stick them onto the PPF and cut them with a Razor?

I did. I have XPEL Stealth with a Ceramic Pro coating and I just applied the factory front plate holder over that. It seems quite secure.

And I like the look of the plate in front as it breaks up the Model 3’s flat nose:

I’m planning to apply the HOV stickers using that CA HOV sticker reapplication and paint protection solution. Just waiting for the stickers to arrive.
Yes that's not terrible. I guess I should put mine on.. Ugggh. I like that matte white thoughw!

I mounted my red HOV decals to PPF and hand cut them with scissors. Was simple enough to do. Then mounted them over my XPEL-protected bumpers. They've held up so far.

For front plate I opted for The Bandit. The replacement cost of XPEL on the bumper is something like $400+, so in my analysis the cost of The Bandit is well within reason. I have the black legacy CA plates which look great on my Silver Metallic bumper.

Hand cut razor was my first attempt as well, until I screwed up one of my stickers. Let me save you the time :) StickerKnight
Dang I already purchased PPF to put them on though.

As for the Bandit, it's not the price but the way it mounts and the way it looks that I am not a fan of. I'm still not running a front plate, but I might tack it onto the PPF once I ugly it up with lavender carpool stickers.

I'm starting to care less now that I realize that I bought a 60k car for 73k. I need to stop spending money on it.