Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF over ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had PPF installed on a new model s . The installer said he now does the PPF over the bumper sensors. They seem to work fine however I’d like feedback from others .

Wondering if anyone has had experience good or bad with this . Thank you
Force

Attachments

• AA629B1F-5C69-4A01-B34D-EE5AD4DFBBDD.jpeg
    AA629B1F-5C69-4A01-B34D-EE5AD4DFBBDD.jpeg
    636.7 KB · Views: 762
Back to the original question - After having the same concerns, my PPF installer informed me that they make cut-outs for the sensors to avoid any issues. But he thought it’s still the customers decision and will do whatever they request.
If you google it, you hear answers for and against. I left mine not covered.

I just had full PPF installed by OCDetailing which IMO is arguably one of the best shops in the country for PPF(certainly the bay area). They covered the sensors with PPF. The reasoning behind this is that cutting them out will likely leave exposed edges that creates a potential entry point for dirt to get in over time.So the main goal is eliminating exposed edges.

So I went in a week after the install for follow up and got an error saying "parking sensors may be obstructed". This went on for about 30 minutes and then went away. Oddly enough, this happened on the highway and my FSD lane changing wouldn't work at all while the message was present on the dashboard. FSD lane change BTW is a feature for the FSD package not covered by the standard autopilot. It allows you to use your turn signal and the car will change lanes for you.

I wouldn't expect FSD lane change to be affected by the ultrasonic sensors but it appeared to be the case. I'm going to leave it alone and give it a few more weeks of sunshine and warm weather and hope the moisture dries out and the issue self resolves.

IMG_1885.jpeg

Reactions: Aldony
I just had full PPF installed by OCDetailing which IMO is arguably one of the best shops in the country for PPF(certainly the bay area). They covered the sensors with PPF. The reasoning behind this is that cutting them out will likely leave exposed edges that creates a potential entry point for dirt to get in over time.So the main goal is eliminating exposed edges.

So I went in a week after the install for follow up and got an error saying "parking sensors may be obstructed". This went on for about 30 minutes and then went away. Oddly enough, this happened on the highway and my FSD lane changing wouldn't work at all while the message was present on the dashboard. FSD lane change BTW is a feature for the FSD package not covered by the standard autopilot. It allows you to use your turn signal and the car will change lanes for you.

I wouldn't expect FSD lane change to be affected by the ultrasonic sensors but it appeared to be the case. I'm going to leave it alone and give it a few more weeks of sunshine and warm weather and hope the moisture dries out and the issue self resolves.

View attachment 778618
possible answer??

"This feature can also detect objects in blind spots and assist the car when automatically switching lanes".

So it looks like the Ultrasonic sensors are a functional requirement to allow FSD lane changing along with the cameras. and the radar being phased out and replaced by tesla vision and cameras do the following:

Forward-looking radar: The radar used by Autopilot can see up to 160m ahead of the car, through “sand, snow, fog–almost anything,” according to Musk. Radar is the primary sensor used to detect the vehicle’s surroundings, along with the front-facing cameras

Image 3-8-22 at 10.51 PM.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: leonwu
possible answer??

"This feature can also detect objects in blind spots and assist the car when automatically switching lanes".

So it looks like the Ultrasonic sensors are a functional requirement to allow FSD lane changing along with the cameras. and the radar being phased out and replaced by tesla vision and cameras do the following:

Forward-looking radar: The radar used by Autopilot can see up to 160m ahead of the car, through “sand, snow, fog–almost anything,” according to Musk. Radar is the primary sensor used to detect the vehicle’s surroundings, along with the front-facing cameras

View attachment 778621
All that coverage and we can’t get a birds eye view camera :(

If you leave the sensors fully covered with the PPF stretched across the bumper and sensors, as the PPF heats in the sun it will shrink and lift off the sensor leading to errors with summon etc.

highly recommend cutting around each sensor and leaving the thin PPF film on just the circular sensor face (not connected to the bumper). That way the gloss will be the same and no risk of the PPF lifting off causing errors.

Installers don't like doing it b/c it's a lot of extra detail work (many sensors around the car) but you should insist otherwise you'll waste time going back later to get it carved out

my installer said it's hit/miss... sometimes he has clients that it doesnt work well with the ppf, and some work fine.

mine didnt work fine... so they cut it out around my sensors.

They all say that so they don't have to put in the extra time. If you don't do it, you'll likely be coming back. If you live close to the shop, then feel free to give it a try. If it's a hassle to get over there, just let them cut it out from the beginning.

They all say that so they don't have to put in the extra time. If you don't do it, you'll likely be coming back. If you live close to the shop, then feel free to give it a try. If it's a hassle to get over there, just let them cut it out from the beginning.
oh, what i meant was, they installed over my sensors anyway. they typically install, and have clients come back 2 weeks later to fix any bubbling, lifting, etc.
when i went back after 2 weeks i told them my parking sensors basically tripped out the entire 2 weeks, so they cut out around the sensors... no more errors!

either way, any good shop should put it on first and remove if it's causing issues.

Reactions: oktane
Agreed. My shop said they would be happy to cut around the sensors if this is what I want. I told them to hold off a few weeks and I'll monitor the situation. So far, no warning messages except for that single event. They don't seem to impact accuracy measuring distance between car and wall when entering into the garage.

Agreed. My shop said they would be happy to cut around the sensors if this is what I want. I told them to hold off a few weeks and I'll monitor the situation. So far, no warning messages except for that single event. They don't seem to impact accuracy measuring distance between car and wall when entering into the garage.
I didn't get errors until I parked out in direct sunlight. Then the film shrinks and lifts off the recessed sensors. You can use your finger to push it back down, but it's hard to figure out which sensor (if not more than one) and inevitably will happen when you're trying to show off summon mode to someone.

Any updates on this? If it cleared, how long did it take? I’m going on 10 days post install and it’s still erroring out… not a big deal around town, but won’t auto lane change on the freeway.