Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF - Pre-Cut or Wrapped?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks

I 'was' up for getting PPF when my Model 3 Unicorn-Combo (LR/19"/Tow) decides to make an appearance.. and I 'was' going to use a well known, very reputable firm near me. They use XPel, which is pre-cut sections, aligned with admittedly meticulous care on the panels.. but - there are edges visible with this method, as in most places it's not wrapped around/tucked in. Also, badges aren't removed and replaced back on top of the film, i.e. it's cut with a badge-shaped hole (so more edges there).

Looking for views from people with experience in this.. plenty of opinions out there from folk who haven't had it done yet, but I'm looking for real-world advice.

I can imagine the edges will, over time.. attract dirt which will make them more visible.. and could potentially over time, cause them to lift. At the prices these things are, I expect it to last 5 years at least (9 or 10 year warranty on XPel I believe, but I haven't checked the small print as to what exactly it covers).

Again - looking for real-world opinions from folk who have actual, first-hand experience.. not necessarily on Teslas!

Ta muchly!

Reactions: Roy W.
I had PPF wrap on a Ford Racing Puma a few years back. Just the front end so it had edges along the wings and rear haunches. It didn't start to peel after the 2+ years it was on while I had the car but the edge lines definitely did become more noticeable as dirt and things like cleaning products built up along the edges of the film.

Honestly I wouldn't get it done again, or if I did I would want the full-monty with edges tucked etc throughout.The cost was reasonable ~£600 for the front end but between it being quite noticeable with the edges and if something does get through the film it just makes it much more expensive to sort. I got a huge stone chip on the bonnet that went through the PPF and that meant having to remove the entire bonnet film (biggest section) and get the chip repaired then get the film reapplied all over again.

The guy we are using does the "wrapped" edge thing - he showed us how he mods patterns to achieve this. It's not possible in all positions but it is in most apparently. I've also moved away from Xpel to Premiumshield. The latter is very slightly thinner and looks better in my opinion. Also slightly better self-healing. Plus ceramic going on top.

Looking for views from people with experience in this.. plenty of opinions out there from folk who haven't had it done yet, but I'm looking for real-world advice.

I've had 7 cars with PPF applied with pre-cut sections. In my personal experience, you have to be more cautious when washing or even detailing your car. For example, if you use an actual clay bar as opposed to a "mitt", you have to be careful in not getting the clay trapped in the exposed edges of the PPF. On the driver's side mirror of my NSX, one section lifted and dirt is trapped on the PPF adhesive. On my VW R32, the rocks seemed to hit only the parts not covered by PPF..

The owner of the company no longer installs PPF with exposed edges. I was told when old PPF is removed, a visible line is left where the exposed edge was. Anyone that has removed mud flaps which covered parts of the cars body, will know the line I am referring to.

For my Model 3, I went with wrapped edges and I am much happier with them.

Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback. It sounds like any XPel partners are out of the mix, as they only use pre-cut panels, so there will always be edges (bummer, as the nearest XPel partner is approx ~100 yards away from where I work).

Any recommendations on PPF installers that do in-fact wrap, in London/S.E./Kent?

20190829_140305.jpg
20190829_140254.jpg
Just ask the xpel shop if they are trained and experienced in bulk/hand cutting also. We are an Xpel dealer and we very rarely use the pre-cut patterns. When we do use the patterns, we make sure that the edges are aligned as perfect as possible.

We just completed a color change wrap for a client with a black Porsche. The car previously had a pattern cut clear bar installed to "protect the paint". Unfortunately, whoever installed the clear bra failed to join the seams of the patterns very well, leaving small gaps... Over time, this was the result...