Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Prep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new white 2021 LR. I have an appointment to get a full front PPF in about a week. The installer I chose is also going to tint my windows. He came recommended by a friend for tinting and has hundreds of glowing reviews so I have no reason not to trust him.

When I spoke with him I asked him if he did any paint correction or ceramic coating. He said no...he's just a film guy.

When I picked up my car a couple weeks ago, there was rail dust on the hood that Tesla took care of on delivery day. After thinking (possibly over-thinking) about it more, I am concerned that there may be other imperfections that I haven't noticed that would get entombed by the PPF if not addressed prior to applying the PPF.

What questions should I ask the installer about his prep process prior to applying the PPF? Is there a miminum set of steps for an acceptable job?

I plan to wash the car and look more closely for imperfections myself, but I am no professional in these matters.

I have a new white 2021 LR. I have an appointment to get a full front PPF in about a week. The installer I chose is also going to tint my windows. He came recommended by a friend for tinting and has hundreds of glowing reviews so I have no reason not to trust him.

When I spoke with him I asked him if he did any paint correction or ceramic coating. He said no...he's just a film guy.

When I picked up my car a couple weeks ago, there was rail dust on the hood that Tesla took care of on delivery day. After thinking (possibly over-thinking) about it more, I am concerned that there may be other imperfections that I haven't noticed that would get entombed by the PPF if not addressed prior to applying the PPF.

What questions should I ask the installer about his prep process prior to applying the PPF? Is there a miminum set of steps for an acceptable job?

I plan to wash the car and look more closely for imperfections myself, but I am no professional in these matters.

You need to get the car very clean and then claybar (or clay mitt) the paint at a minimum. Then, under VERY good lighting (sunlight, gas station lights, etc.) look the paint closely for imperfections, swirls, scratches, marring, etc. It is there. If it is enough to bother you before PPF, you need to have someone do a polish on it first. Chances are you only need a 1-step polish. Find a reputable detailer in your area and they can help guide you.

Also, keep in mind that to keep cost down (if that is a consideration), you can worry about clay and polish on just the parts that will get PPF. Of course, I'd recommend getting the whole car and after front PPF, ceramic coat the entire car.

The PPF installer, if he is any good, will review the panels and either decline to cover them or offer to perform whatever paint correction/prep he normally does or can do extra ahead of applying the film.

If he cant do that, he should recommend what needs to be done and where to take the car to.

Its probably too late to worry about either minor damage that has occured since delivery and or factory imperfection at this point.

PPF makes most sense when done directly after delivery (coupled with paint prep, correction). See OCD examples below. Don'tover think it at this point.

Dents, dings, chips, pits are just a question of time, even with PPF.

Attachments

• 2014_BMW_Dealership_Swirls_002.jpg
    2014_BMW_Dealership_Swirls_002.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG-1103.jpg
    IMG-1103.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 92
It's ok if the detailer says no because it's not needed. But for him to say no he just does the film sounds like he didn't even inspect the body to see if it's necessary.

Try spraying the rail dust with Ironx.

It's ok if the detailer says no because it's not needed. But for him to say no he just does the film sounds like he didn't even inspect the body to see if it's necessary.

Try spraying the rail dust with Ironx.

That is my thinking as well. I washed the car yesterday and I did not notice any problems. I plan to go talk to the installer in person to understand what he thinks is needed or if he just doesn't want to get involved in it at all. I can understand people wanting to specialize, but I don't want to pay $1200 to have work done if sensible prerequisite steps are not taken. I guess opinions on what is "sensible" may vary.

The PPF protects the paint whatever the conditions they are in. If you are happy with with the current conditions, IMHO, then it's good enough to do PPF to avoid chips and scratches.

But most shops, if not all, wold recommend paint correction to make sure the paint is perfect before PPF is done. But is it necessary to make sure PPF bond perfectly with the paint? No.

Reactions: NorthStar7