Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF proper installation question - not wrapped around edges is normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine was complaining about getting the white car PPF wrapped because the wrap doesn't wrap around body panels but is cut just before the end of the panels. This causes black lines after a while from dirt and sucks out like a sore thumb on a white car. I didn't think this is how it's supposed to be applied but should be fully wrapped like when you do vinyl wrap to change colors, am I mistakenly here?

This was done at one of the well praised and reliable shops here in San Diego.

Attachments

• 1B3DB38B-DFB0-4303-B22C-6EF938D416A9.jpeg
    1B3DB38B-DFB0-4303-B22C-6EF938D416A9.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 2,313
To wrap all the edges you'd have to disassemble significant portions of the car... I don't really trust detailers to put it all back together perfectly, sorry

I settled for wrapped edges where that makes sense (hood, trunk, door edges) and cut edges where disassembly would be required (bumpers, A pillar to front seam, etc). hopefully it doesn't end up looking like that photo! So far it looks perfect after a wash.

To wrap all the edges you'd have to disassemble significant portions of the car... I don't really trust detailers to put it all back together perfectly, sorry

I settled for wrapped edges where that makes sense (hood, trunk, door edges) and cut edges where disassembly would be required (bumpers, A pillar to front seam, etc). hopefully it doesn't end up looking like that photo! So far it looks perfect after a wash.

This is what my XPEL installer did. The body panels they could wrap, they did and the ones that required disassembly, they didn't. My istaller did take off the bumper cover but the A pillar and the quarter panel have some visible edges (its not overwrapped).

The only line that shows is the one on the side mirror housing. They said there is nothing they can do about that particular line. Luckily I have a blue car and the line is only visible in direct sunlight when you actually look for it. Needless to say, unlike the photo in OP, I am the only one who ever noticed it...

Reactions: brkaus
This is what my XPEL installer did. The body panels they could wrap, they did and the ones that required disassembly, they didn't. My istaller did take off the bumper cover but the A pillar and the quarter panel have some visible edges (its not overwrapped).

The only line that shows is the one on the side mirror housing. They said there is nothing they can do about that particular line. Luckily I have a blue car and the line is only visible in direct sunlight when you actually look for it. Needless to say, unlike the photo in OP, I am the only one who ever noticed it...

Yeah my XPEL stealth is the same (wrapped around the main panels but visible edges on the a pillar/quarter). Right after my install I had a bubble under the driver's side mirror that one person noticed... but after I got that fixed I'm the only one who's ever noticed the couple visible edges that are still there.

I got the same warning up front about the seam in the mirrors. I might have noticed it if they hadn't warned/told me... but possibly not. It's really subtle except in super bright direct light.

Reactions: croman
I have mostly the pre-cut SunTech, with the hood edge wrapped. Clearly the edge wrap it the best, and far more expensive way to go. I opted for best protection for the price, but didn't want to drop $4K or more in a wrap. The white car is showing the edges far more than my red.

Thanks, I like that video. So shops who care enough to do a better job, and wrapping all surfaces, CAN do it, but takes more time/effort to do it right. I don't see them taking any panels off to do that, or do they just not show it?

Joe is a perfectionist (Obsessive Compulsive Detailing.....). He generally does not need to pull panels, but will pull components as needed (mirror housings, trim pieces and the like). You can see where they make cuts between panel gaps (never on a panel) and then tuck it in.

A friend of mine was complaining about getting the white car PPF wrapped because the wrap doesn't wrap around body panels but is cut just before the end of the panels. This causes black lines after a while from dirt and sucks out like a sore thumb on a white car. I didn't think this is how it's supposed to be applied but should be fully wrapped like when you do vinyl wrap to change colors, am I mistakenly here?

This was done at one of the well praised and reliable shops here in San Diego.

PPF wrap is 4 times the thickness of vinyl thus making it impossible to contour to all edges like a vinyl wrap would. Some shops remove large components like bumpers to wrap between these areas, but over time the movement of the body panels will cause them to lift up anyways. Edges are unavoidable and any shop that says there will not be one exposed edge is not telling the truth.

Tell your friend to get in contact with us regarding that wrap, whether we did it or not. Those edges are a very easy and simple fix.

Horrible. Even if they don't do a custom cut install (where they trim the edges by hand), they should still at least do an extended cut from their vinyl machine that leaves enough space for them to wrap the edges.

Kits can be modified to wrap where you can physically wrap. Adjoining edges such as the bumper to fender here cannot physically be wrapped into without it lifting like the above picture. Edges around the hood, inner or outside edges of fenders etc. regardless of custom or plotter cut can easily be wrapped around without lifting issues long term.

Last edited:
Not sure this helps, but go look at the web site (and linked You Tube videos) of my local preferred expert Joe at OCDetailing:

www.bayareadetails.com

and see how you do wraps right. No visible edges or seams.

For example, see:

Joe and his team do very good work, but there is never an install with no visible edges or seams. Some areas cannot simply be wrapped cleanly or reliably around

PPF wrap is 4 times the thickness of vinyl thus making it impossible to contour to all edges like a vinyl wrap would. Some shops remove large components like bumpers to wrap between these areas, but over time the movement of the body panels will cause them to lift up anyways. Edges are unavoidable and any shop that says there will not be one exposed edge is not telling the truth.

Tell your friend to get in contact with us regarding that wrap, whether we did it or not. Those edges are a very easy and simple fix.

Kits can be modified to wrap where you can physically wrap. Adjoining edges such as the bumper to fender here cannot physically be wrapped into without it lifting like the above picture. Edges around the hood, inner or outside edges of fenders etc. regardless of custom or plotter cut can easily be wrapped around without lifting issues long term.

Thanks, I read the same thing when I did more research on my own. This was not done by your shop but thanks for the message and she is also reading this thread so she may contact you guys. The shop that did this, I found out, uses a pre-cut template. The only areas that will wrap over corners is a few areas along the hood line on the bumper. I think I would be ok with this since my car is the dark metalic silver color.

Thanks, I read the same thing when I did more research on my own. This was not done by your shop but thanks for the message and she is also reading this thread so she may contact you guys. The shop that did this, I found out, uses a pre-cut template. The only areas that will wrap over corners is a few areas along the hood line on the bumper. I think I would be ok with this since my car is the dark metalic silver color.

Not a problem, happy to help out!

If you are looking for your own Model 3, do consider full custom over precut. The main reason (aside form wrapped edges) is the fact that the front bumper is possible in one seamless piece. Although this is very difficult and most installers cannot accomplish this reliably.

Here is an example:

Excellent Video Tim! If anyone is interested in watching a few more with some slight variations. Here you go!
What is so amazing and unique to the Tesla Community of car enthusiasts is their insatiable appetite for knowledge. What is important in this situation is understanding what you want and making sure that the installer can provide it. I personally don't think that modified plotter installs are bad. We do a lot of them. But if you want that extra bit of perfection please ask!

This video shows two white model 3's. One received a fully custom install. The other received a modified plotter install.

This video shows a modified plotter install or what we call the "Plotter Plus"

The fix is trimming it back more and leaving more of the paint exposed, correct?

Excellent Video Tim! If anyone is interested in watching a few more with some slight variations. Here you go!
What is so amazing and unique to the Tesla Community of car enthusiasts is their insatiable appetite for knowledge. What is important in this situation is understanding what you want and making sure that the installer can provide it. I personally don't think that modified plotter installs are bad. We do a lot of them. But if you want that extra bit of perfection please ask!

This video shows two white model 3's. One received a fully custom install. The other received a modified plotter install.

This video shows a modified plotter install or what we call the "Plotter Plus"

*raises So talking with a local installer, he said they use a template, can that template be modified to wrap edges? Is that software you are using available to most installers? I just got my car back from a full PPF and not pleased with the exposed edges. (Posted in diff thread)

Pics here if your curious
Model3 PPF

There are a few decent softwares out there. XPEL’s software is still king, but SunTek and 3M are also excellent. There are a few other players now too with decent software. The good softwares now can be manipulated to make even plotter cut patterns produce totally custom installs.
The thing with PPF is there is a really big learning curve and if you’re not pushed to be great you won’t be great. Another thing we sometimes see is installers who should be using the plotter but not using it because the have to pay per cut. Sometimes the plotter is what should be used based on skill level or the vehicle is better plotted than hand cut. Choosing to save money on the plotting fees can be a big error as well.
The competition in San Diego is fierce as we have probably 4 of the top 25 best shops in the country.
I used to hear a slogan, “it’s paint protection film not paint perfection film.” But honestly now you can get pretty damn close to perfect with the right installer.