Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

i am planning to get XPEL paint protection film for my Blue Tesla Model 3. i am planning only for full frontal hood and bumper.
if i do only the frontal part, will i be seeing any significant difference between front of the car and my doors and back side ?

You should seriously look at getting the rocker panels also done. The rock chips are terrible on most Model 3's that I have seen including mine. I have mine going in for this reason in a couple weeks.

Good decision to get the front fully wrapped. I also had mine fully wrapped and mirrors since owning past white cars without getting PPF, the front is just riddled with rock chips and I know my Tesla will be a long term investment it's worth keeping the paint nice and clean.

As for wrapping the doors/rear bumper - You may want to consider to weight the pros/cons it's worth wrapping to protect from door dings but if you get rear ended, your insurance will most likely not cover the PPF and you'll be at a net loss imo.

Wrapping the doors would give you a peace of mind of not getting door dinged tho.

Reactions: X-pilot
If you are EVER going to be in an area that uses rocks on the roads (mostly for ice), I would strongly recommend you get at least the majority of the body done. Here is a pic of the rock chips at the rear door of my M3 (with 11,600 miles) after just one winter of rocks on the road.

IMG_1944.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: M3totms and KenC
Hello,

i am planning to get XPEL paint protection film for my Blue Tesla Model 3. i am planning only for full frontal hood and bumper.
if i do only the frontal part, will i be seeing any significant difference between front of the car and my doors and back side ?

That's a common question - that's where the clarity of the film is important (any film with a textured appearance you may see a noticeable difference from covered to uncovered areas). In general it's very hard to distinguish the covered area from uncovered, you are adding a thick glossy piece of material so you are effectively adding a bit of depth to the covered panels but if properly maintained you will be just fine.

To everyone elses point - I would strongly consider covering the rocker panels as well, they take a beating!

I've had my Model 3 Performance for about 6 months. I did the full car wrap in Xpel PPF and it looks awesome. A few weeks ago, it was hit while parked. The left fender had to be replaced and the front bumper repaired. But the cool thin is that even though the metal was bent out of shape, the paint itself was not scratched. The ppf absorbed nearly all of the damage. Yes, the ppf had to be replaced. But I'd rather replace the ppf than repaint those parts. I was amazed at how much protection the ppf provided to the paint.

• Informative
Reactions: AlasCon and M3totms
If you are EVER going to be in an area that uses rocks on the roads (mostly for ice), I would strongly recommend you get at least the majority of the body done. Here is a pic of the rock chips at the rear door of my M3 (with 11,600 miles) after just one winter of rocks on the road.

View attachment 405466
Now that's an interesting picture! You expect the dirt to come up immediately after the wheel, but that dirt from the front wheel, has travelled all the way back to just in front of the rear wheel, just where it flares out! I just installed carbon fiber mudguards this past week, since they put tons of sand on my roads in Maine. Hadn't even thought of the dirt going that far back. Here's a few pics of my mudguard install, pre-and post first rainy day. Now you're making me think I have to put PPF on the rocker panels. Dirt still gets past the mudguards, but alot less.

Attachments

• IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Reactions: SoccerMan94043
the guy quoted me $1800 for xpel sheet. Full front hood, front bumper, side fenders, side mirrors. door edges and back only near bumper area
If you're a DIYer or brave, you can install your own precut PPF, Suntek or 3M. I ordered a 30" piece partial hood from invisiblemask.com. Includes the matching pieces of front quarter panels, and the mirrors, and door edge guards for $200. Install wasn't too hard. The mirrors are the hardest cause you have to do a bit of stretching. Doors are $400. Front bumper is $180. Now that I've done the partial hood, quarter panels and mirrors, I've ordered the door pieces. After those, I may order the front bumper and the rockers. Here's a pic of the partial hood and quarter panels I did last week. You can see a hint of where the 30" comes up to, right where the carport shadow crossed the hood. The shiny spots are just reflections.

Attachments

• IMG_1862.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 160
Now that's an interesting picture! You expect the dirt to come up immediately after the wheel, but that dirt from the front wheel, has travelled all the way back to just in front of the rear wheel, just where it flares out! I just installed carbon fiber mudguards this past week, since they put tons of sand on my roads in Maine. Hadn't even thought of the dirt going that far back. Here's a few pics of my mudguard install, pre-and post first rainy day. Now you're making me think I have to put PPF on the rocker panels. Dirt still gets past the mudguards, but alot less.

Yes, all of that damage is just rocks from this winter when the county was putting out rocks for ice. I called the Portland Oregon Tesla service center and was basically told that it is an environmental condition and therefore it has nothing to do with Tesla. How are you feeling about your carbon fiber guards? I just ordered some from protectmytesla.com and will put them on as soon as I can.

Reactions: KenC