Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still quite new to this group so please be gentle :) I’ve been reading all these threads about PPF etc. This is my first Tesla picking up Friday. Of all the cars I’ve ever owned I’ve never seen recommendations for added paint protection. Is this because Tesla paint layers not as thick as “normal” car? PPF all looks really expensive but from reading all these posts it sounds like if I want lasting paint that won’t fade/chip/scratch easily I don’t have a choice. Just wondering why this is specific to Tesla and if there is any way to save money for paint protection??

Still quite new to this group so please be gentle :) I’ve been reading all these threads about PPF etc. This is my first Tesla picking up Friday. Of all the cars I’ve ever owned I’ve never seen recommendations for added paint protection. Is this because Tesla paint layers not as thick as “normal” car? PPF all looks really expensive but from reading all these posts it sounds like if I want lasting paint that won’t fade/chip/scratch easily I don’t have a choice. Just wondering why this is specific to Tesla and if there is any way to save money for paint protection??

Couple things.
Same discussion is on many other car forums, not just Tesla. So no, its not Tesla specific. (ive driven many tesla loaners over the past year, all of them at least 4-5 yrs old, and all had high miles and their hoods/bumpers/etc, looked no different from any other car). If you dont believe me, go look at some used teslas on local lots. Tell us if the front ends are badly messed up (they wont be)

Tesla has same amount of paint/layers as any other car.

PPF is relatively new, so its a a popular discussion item.

PPF will not add any value to your car.

PPF is effective at preventing tiny rock chips from front bumper/hood (common areas for those types of nicks).

Doing a flat hood yourself is doable, but anything with curves is likely to end up in disaster for a do it yourselfer with zero experience

Reactions: jerry33
Guy has it about right, it's not Tesla specific. However, it does keep the car looking nice if you keep it for a long time. In particular, if a car does a poor job of parking and leaves a bit of paint on your car, a bit of bug and tar remover makes it good as new. Here are a few pictures of PPF on the early 2013 S with 130K miles before I traded it in for an X last year.
IMG_1758.jpg IMG_1760.jpg IMG_1754.jpg IMG_1728.jpg IMG_1722.jpg IMG_1716.jpg IMG_1751.jpg IMG_1745.jpg

I have not seen any recent credible evidence of Tesla paint being inferior to other manufacturers' paint. Paint protection film is pushed on this website because it's a car enthusiast forum. Another reason film is pushed is because of mimicry. You can save money on paint protection film by simply opting out.

After 200 miles my 2021 M3 had 15-20 rock chips on both rockers/sills, roughly below the door mirrors. I’d had the whole of the front up to the windshield done with PPF but hadn’t done this area, had to touch it up and get it covered. Only my individual experience but I’ve done 20+ cars with PPF and never had to do the rockers/sills, on my M3, I don’t think there would have been any paint left after 1000 miles. Also worth mentioning, the car had rock guards/mud flaps from day one and no, I don’t live fifty miles down a gravel road.