Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF recommendations in Portland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how much did it cost you?
ALSET is one of the few that post prices on their site, or at least pretty dang accurate estimates for most work. I think I paid $7,200 back in Nov of 2020. I'm sure prices have increased since then due to labor and inflation and demand, etc.

For $7,200 I had the following done;
Paint Correction
Full Body Paint Protection Film
Ceramic Coating on exterior, wheels, and interior
Front windshield, front side windows and rear side windows tinted (windshield and rear sides with the lightest film, essentially clear, front sides with the darkest legal film to match the rear windows)

I also was going to have the console wrapped in a brushed metal finish but to be honest, they completely forgot to do that. I'm still very happy with the work and they were working on a tight schedule. We didn't have a firm delivery date until a few days before and my car was being shipped out as soon as they were done with the work, so while I gave them 7 or 8 days, it was kind of last minute confirmed notice (I had booked out a couple months in advance, just didn't know exact days). They did a great job almost everywhere. PPF was fantastic, literally didn't notice it was applied unless I got on my hands and knees and looked under the car or in door jams. They claimed there was a slight stretch mark on the rear hatch since they wrapped it in a single sheet and apologized to me saying they tried two or three times but couldn't get it any better (I opted they do their best to use a single sheet vs two sheets). When I got the car I couldn't see anything... so they certainly have an eye for issues way better than mine. There also was a little overspray of the soap solution when apply the windshield tint. This was under the plastic housing for the front AP cameras. I just noticed a few water spots in bright sun. Didn't seem to affect AP at all, but it bugged me a little. I happened to have mobile service done months later on something else and asked them if they could remove the plastic cover on the AP housing so I could clean under it. Took about 20 minutes and had no issues cleaning it... also didn't notice any difference in AP performance.

The owners of Alset communicate pretty close with a couple of the guys at the Portland service center, so if you talk to Alset and mention that concern, they might be able to reach out to the service center and figure out if it's safe to remove that and use the car's recalibration for the cameras. That's really the only concern, it's only like one screw to remove the plastic bits. Mobile service was able to do it without unclipping the cameras so I didn't need recalibration, but I was hesitant to do it on my own. Again, this did not affect performance, I'm just a crazy person when it comes to little things like that.

I might suggest getting a "chrome delete" on the anodized black trim. It's probably $500 to $800, but I think it would allow you to use touchless automatic car washes or maybe even a brush style automatic wash (if you do full body PPF). I didn't and normally hand wash, but ONCE in the winter I went to a touchless automatic and it discolored my trim pretty bad. Tesla quoted about $800 to replace it and I likely would have the same issue again if I used a touchless, the pH of the chemicals is just too aggressive with the black trim. BUT, if there is a physical black film over them, then nothing touches that metal. I'll probably have mine wrapped rather then replaced since the cost is about the same.

I did ask Alset about using clear PPF on the trim and they recommended against it since they were worried the PPF wouldn't stick long term. It's way different than the vinyl wrap that's used on trim black outs or "chrome deletes."

Any suggestion for PPF for Model Y in Portland / Hillsboro area?
Good afternoon my name is Eric Moore. I’m the owner of Highline Customs we have been in business for going on 18 years. We do all the paint protection for most the Dealerships in the area. Including Kuni BMW, lexus of portland, sunset Audi & Porsche and so on. We would be more than happy to help you out. we have an untouchable reputation for not only are quality of work but are honesty. We also offer a Tesla discount.. due to the angle of all Tess la models the standard kit is not sufficient enough so you’re kind of forced to do the full front. Retail depending on who you call is 1695.00 - 2500, Tesla customers get a discount at our shop on the full front 1395.00. If you choose to do the complete vehicle we would charge 4200.00 or 5200 with are REACTION Ceramic coated film. The majority of the cost is materials. Teslas are so extremely easy to do. The film Comes with a 10 or 12 year warranty, all the edges that can be wrapped are wrapped and it’s a same day service.

My brothers and I are extremely knowledgeable with regards to paint protection. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Www.highlinecustoms.com

Last edited:
^^^^ I had Highline do the tint on my car. They've done my business partners Hellcat, his wife's C63S, and a couple of our work trucks. Would definitely recommend them to anyone.
The tint, wrap or PPF is all pretty much the same, your really looking for who does a good job installing it. There's alot of installers in the PDX area, there's only a couple good ones.

Highline does an amazing job. They've done 5 of our cars including my Model 3. I made the mistake of taken my car to Crew Customs in Hillsboro the day after I picked up my car, since Highline was booked out for 3+ weeks and I wanted it tinted ASAP. They messed up so bad and would not honor their work. I went to Highline and explained my situation, and I them removed the film and tint it again. Eric and his crew took the time to make sure I was happy, they even told me to come back after the film cured so they can take care of any imperfections that wasn't caught during the install.

My brothers and I sure do appreciate the support and repeat business. It important to us every customer gets a quality install and product. A lot of people don’t understand Window tint and paint protection is an extremely hard skill to master and if the shop you normally use is booked out it’s worth the wait especially when it comes to a Tesla, the glass can be easily broken if not done correctly. And minimizing the amount of heat to the glass needs to be a priority for EVERY Tesla owner.
I remember this car wasn’t the windshield pattern installed upside down? Oh boy! If we are booked out I’ll always be willing to stay late if you are willing to pick up next day.
Once again thank you for posting your experience on the Tesla forum.

One last note Please be careful for fake reviews when making your decision on what shop to take your Tesla to.

ALSET is one of the few that post prices on their site, or at least pretty dang accurate estimates for most work. I think I paid $7,200 back in Nov of 2020. I'm sure prices have increased since then due to labor and inflation and demand, etc.

For $7,200 I had the following done;
Paint Correction
Full Body Paint Protection Film
Ceramic Coating on exterior, wheels, and interior
Front windshield, front side windows and rear side windows tinted (windshield and rear sides with the lightest film, essentially clear, front sides with the darkest legal film to match the rear windows)

I also was going to have the console wrapped in a brushed metal finish but to be honest, they completely forgot to do that. I'm still very happy with the work and they were working on a tight schedule. We didn't have a firm delivery date until a few days before and my car was being shipped out as soon as they were done with the work, so while I gave them 7 or 8 days, it was kind of last minute confirmed notice (I had booked out a couple months in advance, just didn't know exact days). They did a great job almost everywhere. PPF was fantastic, literally didn't notice it was applied unless I got on my hands and knees and looked under the car or in door jams. They claimed there was a slight stretch mark on the rear hatch since they wrapped it in a single sheet and apologized to me saying they tried two or three times but couldn't get it any better (I opted they do their best to use a single sheet vs two sheets). When I got the car I couldn't see anything... so they certainly have an eye for issues way better than mine. There also was a little overspray of the soap solution when apply the windshield tint. This was under the plastic housing for the front AP cameras. I just noticed a few water spots in bright sun. Didn't seem to affect AP at all, but it bugged me a little. I happened to have mobile service done months later on something else and asked them if they could remove the plastic cover on the AP housing so I could clean under it. Took about 20 minutes and had no issues cleaning it... also didn't notice any difference in AP performance.

The owners of Alset communicate pretty close with a couple of the guys at the Portland service center, so if you talk to Alset and mention that concern, they might be able to reach out to the service center and figure out if it's safe to remove that and use the car's recalibration for the cameras. That's really the only concern, it's only like one screw to remove the plastic bits. Mobile service was able to do it without unclipping the cameras so I didn't need recalibration, but I was hesitant to do it on my own. Again, this did not affect performance, I'm just a crazy person when it comes to little things like that.

I might suggest getting a "chrome delete" on the anodized black trim. It's probably $500 to $800, but I think it would allow you to use touchless automatic car washes or maybe even a brush style automatic wash (if you do full body PPF). I didn't and normally hand wash, but ONCE in the winter I went to a touchless automatic and it discolored my trim pretty bad. Tesla quoted about $800 to replace it and I likely would have the same issue again if I used a touchless, the pH of the chemicals is just too aggressive with the black trim. BUT, if there is a physical black film over them, then nothing touches that metal. I'll probably have mine wrapped rather then replaced since the cost is about the same.

I did ask Alset about using clear PPF on the trim and they recommended against it since they were worried the PPF wouldn't stick long term. It's way different than the vinyl wrap that's used on trim black outs or "chrome deletes."
ZOINKS! As long as you love it.