Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF saved my car from a nick but now a tear...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so driving on the freeway going 75. Heard a large loud thunk. I thought we’ll nothing you can do about it know!

Didn’t bother to even look at it since I was heading to work. I just noticed the nick to the front bumper. Two 1.5mm tear on the ppf. But looks like the paint was spared.

Now what? Question would be what to do now? Is there a way I can pour a clear coating? Or a hole punch ppf lol but that would look ugly. Anyway, thoughts appreciated. With the amount of highway I drive the ppf was worth it.

I think you just replace that section of PPF. That is what the PPF is for: it’s cheaper to replace than your paint.

I have a tear in mine from a door ding, so I need to eventually get down to my PPF guy and get him to replace that piece. Should be cheaper than when you did it the first time since you are just replacing that one piece.

You could trim it if the tear bothers you, but I wouldn’t try any glue or clear coat - that might adhere the PPF too well to your paint and cause damage when you remove the piece later.

I think you just replace that section of PPF. That is what the PPF is for: it’s cheaper to replace than your paint.

I have a tear in mine from a door ding, so I need to eventually get down to my PPF guy and get him to replace that piece. Should be cheaper than when you did it the first time since you are just replacing that one piece.

You could trim it if the tear bothers you, but I wouldn’t try any glue or clear coat - that might adhere the PPF too well to your paint and cause damage when you remove the piece later.

I had to replace a section of ppf after my M3 was hit in a parking lot. I took it back to the original installer. He quoted me an initial price. I told him that it would not be covered by insurance and I would have to pay out of pocket. I then asked, if I paid in cash, could he knock $50 off the cost and he did. My point being, you may be able to negotiate a lower price, esp if it is with the same installer who did the original installation.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
The PPF served its purpose! Have a pic? 1.5mm doesn’t seem to bad. If it’s not too bad you could just leave it...or if an edge of it is lifting you can cut that small piece off. Basically the decision is do you replace the the ppf on the whole bumper for this one nick? Or wait until the whole ppf is more worn down before replacing. I’ve got a couple nicks in mine that you can hardly tell..def not worth replacing the whole ppf on the bumper yet.

Yes it did! This is why I preach PPF so much. Protect that investment!

When I get to 100k I am getting my front bumper and hood done again. Rest of the car looks just awesome. Couple carts and bumpers have grazed the car. Even a lacrosse ball coming in hot. Bird poop that would have etched.

I have a few cuts. I could only imagine what they would have been. The fine rock dust from freeways just has peppered the bumper. Looks just fine. I just want it looking new for the next 100k. My PPF installer said come back for the nicks, and they trim them. Then I have half off the install labor for the pieces needed to be replaced. Was told that going in. I wouldn't replace after each nick, as I would be in a perpetual re PPF with the miles I drive. Don't want to get too crazy about it.

Still a car in my book, and I have never cared for a cars looks prior to owning Tesla's. As in chips or scratches. It was a purpose to provide transportation. Now. I look at the cars as art. The designs are beautiful, and I appreciate them immensely. Good thing for PPF now that I care. Yet don't have to because of the PPF.