Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Seamline Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my 2022 Model 3 Performance on 1/13 and took it straight to PPF. I am now noticing a quarter inch seamline on the right headlight. The left one is fine. Is this normal? Do you think it’s worth having another shop redo? The installer told me it’s pre-cut so it will always have lines.

He did a bulk ppf wrap the first time but there was a massive stretch mark so I had him redo with seam lines. Now I am stuck with this.

Is this normal or should I have it done correctly?

Attachments

• 64B92006-C121-4D67-AEF8-4C9FBE5A7942.jpeg
    64B92006-C121-4D67-AEF8-4C9FBE5A7942.jpeg
    599.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 119F0F01-4D67-4895-85C8-6C3717F73B16.jpeg
    119F0F01-4D67-4895-85C8-6C3717F73B16.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 257
I’d say it’s normal. The hood should definitely be bulk and for bumper should be precut because of risk of using razor to cut into paint more likely with bulk. If the seams underneath the headlights go any higher it will actually peel due to the curve near the headlight seam. Over time it will collect dust and lose its adhesive. I would be happy with the result and not ask for a refund.

Reactions: MrAwd7
Even though the left side there is no visible seam? I value your opinion so thank you for your time.
If it bothers you, you can ask them to redo. It’s the only solution but I will say it’s normal. They use a cutter to precut the film and stretch it best as possible. I just know my 2019 model 3 had film up to the seam and after several washes it would peel and collect dirt. On a white car like mines it stuck out like a sore thumb. Even using rubbing alcohol to tack the ppf in place didn’t help. I sold the car got 21 performance M3 and went to another installer and it pretty much looks like yours. After few months no dirt lines appearing underneath headlights. If I was you even if you redo it there’s no guarantee it will be perfect since it’s precut.

I found another installer who can do it for $200 more than my refund. He uses XPEL rather than 3M. He doesn’t do pre-cut and ticks all the seams. Do you think it’ll be noticeable to use XPEL on bumper when rest of car is 3M? It is clear finish.

I picked up my 2022 Model 3 Performance on 1/13 and took it straight to PPF. I am now noticing a quarter inch seamline on the right headlight. The left one is fine. Is this normal? Do you think it’s worth having another shop redo? The installer told me it’s pre-cut so it will always have lines.

He did a bulk ppf wrap the first time but there was a massive stretch mark so I had him redo with seam lines. Now I am stuck with this.

Is this normal or should I have it done correctly?
It seems the installer was not paying attention to detail. Yeah it's a precut pattern but they are designed so edges are uniform and closer than what I see in pic. I've never installed PPF but have been studying youtube for 2.5 months now. I will do my own MSLR when it comes in. If he offered refund take it somewhere else for a professional opinion. If they can do better give them the refund money.