Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF vs Ceramic coating - help a noob out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my M3 is currently having some repainting done due to some pitting that I got from driving it over the Cascade passes this past winter. (More detail here: Model 3 paint wearing off).

I'm considering whether to have PPF or ceramic coating (as well as chrome delete) applied when it's finally done to prevent similar problems from cropping up in the future. My question: which should I get? What are the upsides/downsides of each? How will both stand up given that the car is never garaged and I live in a wet and occasionally snowy climate? Any suggestions for specific PPF or ceramic products I should consider?

Thanks in advance...

Many threads on this but in short depends what exactly you want. PPF (clearbra) is a film, comes in different thickness, that gets applied and will protect your car’s paint from rock chips, door dings, shopping carts. It can be torn by really sharp objects but usually the film will tear but protect the underlying body. Then you would just replace that film panel. Some film has a 10 year warranty but depends on your conditions. But it can be removed and redone later with your car if you keep it longer still looking good, check but also has UV protection against fading.

Ceramic is a liquid applied to your paint or on top of your PPF that will harden and add protection from bird and bee poop (acidic) and will give your car a great shine. Because of the hardness of it it will make it easier to remove dirt, bird droppings and making washing it much easier. It does have a limited life span, I think can be as little as 2 years, and then need reapplying.

Last edited:
Both of our cars are kept outside on our driveway at present. Both have PPF and ceramic. Enjoyed the benefit of PPF a few times on our MS due to impacts from rocks, wooden fence post, and last from a utility vehicle backing out but not clearing car so scraped it. We try to park away from other cars or park smartly but sure we have had plenty of doors open up into our cars. Husband watched young girl open into his car a few weeks back with her dad so apologetic. No damage to the paint. Some guy carrying a backpack yesterday swung it carrying it and it hit my car. No damage. Does save from everything but undoubtedly does keep the car from looking all dinged up.

Our car wash guys love the ceramic costing. When I see bird poop on my car I get out the waterless car wash spray and it comes right off. So happy with both. We don’t get snow but do get heat, last few days over 100F.

• Love
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Just a heads-up... your PPF installer probably won't warranty PPF over the top of repaint due to the increased likelihood of it peeling the paint off if it is ever removed. Just something to ask if they don't mention it to you.
Also, don't cheap out when it comes to PPF or ceramic coating. There are good shops in the Bellevue area near you.

PPF is superior and more important than ceramic if you want to protect your car. PPF the front to prevent rock chips. It's a thick layer of clear film. Ceramic is not absolutely necessary. The whole ceramic thing has been blown out of proportion in recent years IMO. Sure it makes cleaning easier and provides a tiny bit of protection from superficial scratches. But a properly waxed vehicle can provide just as much protection as ceramic. However, wax only last a couple of months whereas ceramic can last for a year or more. That's where ceramic stands out.

If you're choosing one of the other due to a budget, go PPF. If you have additional funds, then get ceramic. If not, skip ceramic and just regularly wax every 2-3 months.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Just a heads-up... your PPF installer probably won't warranty PPF over the top of repaint due to the increased likelihood of it peeling the paint off if it is ever removed. Just something to ask if they don't mention it to you.
Also, don't cheap out when it comes to PPF or ceramic coating. There are good shops in the Bellevue area near you.
Thanks. Got the quote from Accutint, which I think someone else here had recommended.

If you want to *protect* your paint, PPF is the only way to go.

+1 on PPF (film, from various brands and installers) for actual protection.

I was quoted $1099 or $1299 for ceramic (based on the number of coats) and $1599 for PPF.

PPF film supply and installation is significantly more than that.
I was quoted $500/panel, or $5K for the whole car.
I've heard of others paying more.

HTH,
a

Uhm, paint PROTECTION film, ie PPF. If you're just protecting your rockers and rear wheelwell flare and lower doors, you can DIY for $200 to $250, and it's a fairly easy job. Or you could buy some mudguards, for $150 to $200. Or you could make your own mudguards from a generic set for about $25.

If you want to protect your front bumper, then definitely go to a PPF shop. It's DIY-able, but extremely hard. I just did it this past weekend, and I don't recommend it, except to those who enjoy torture! My shoulder still aches, just thinking about it.
So, my M3 is currently having some repainting done due to some pitting that I got from driving it over the Cascade passes this past winter. (More detail here: Model 3 paint wearing off).

I'm considering whether to have PPF or ceramic coating (as well as chrome delete) applied when it's finally done to prevent similar problems from cropping up in the future. My question: which should I get? What are the upsides/downsides of each? How will both stand up given that the car is never garaged and I live in a wet and occasionally snowy climate? Any suggestions for specific PPF or ceramic products I should consider?

Thanks in advance...

• Funny
I went with both. My commute during the spring and summer months gets my car smothered with dead bugs and the coating has made washing them off 10x easier. My only regret is that I had it all done before seeing if Tesla would fix the D- paint job, so I have the PPF (on the front) and coating over a sub-standard paint job. Thankfully, I only notice the paint issues when I'm washing the car.