Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF vs Ceramic Pro vs Nothing

What level of PPF protection would you undertake?

• Front Xpel clear PPF + Full Ceramic Pro => $3,500

• Full Xpel clear PPF + Full Ceramic Pro => $6,500

• Dorp Ceramic Pro => -$1,500

• Nothing

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so I've read quite a few posts here about PPF, Ceramic and other paint related stuff. Learned a lot. Also learned there's no clear answer as to what's worthwhile. So I'm going to post a straight (and real) hypothetical question in the form of a poll.

I got some quotes and the bottom line is the following:

- $3,500 Front Xpel PPF (full front bumper, front fenders, hood, mirrors & lights) + full ceramic pro,
- $6,500 for Full Xpel PPF + full ceramic pro, or
- drop the ceramic pro @ $1500 less.

Financial context: Budget is not unlimited but will spend the $$ if worth it.

Thanks Everyone!

Like other threads on this subject, answers will be all over the map. I'd say it really just comes down to comfort level of spending the money and what you hope to achieve by doing it. I put PPF on portions of the car and did ceramic coat everywhere 4 years ago. Glad I did. Some people think it isn't worth it.

I did the lazy route, since the quote I got from local detailing shop for Ceramic Pro was $1800. I am not treating my car like a show car but I do want to reduce the amount of cleaning I have to do. So I get the car hand washed today and then applied The Last Coat v2. No idea if it does what it claims but it can't be worse than nothing, right? :D

Something else. Place film on the high impact areas and skip the ceramic coating. It's overrated and a waste of money. I've had two vehicles ceramic coated in the past and I'll never do it again. I've posted about this on a couple of occasions with detailed reasoning.

Don't fall into the hype generated by the forums and these detailers re ppf and ceramic coating. These items are not must haves.

Signed,
A guy who's not trying to sell you something.

OK so I've read quite a few posts here about PPF, Ceramic and other paint related stuff. Learned a lot. Also learned there's no clear answer as to what's worthwhile. So I'm going to post a straight (and real) hypothetical question in the form of a poll.

- $3,500 Front Xpel PPF (full front bumper, front fenders, hood, mirrors & lights) + full ceramic pro,

Thanks Everyone!
I live in South Florida and recently was able to get your 1st option for $2,000.

There have been 1000 threads on this and 400,000 posts. If you’ve really read up, do you truly expect to get new, earth shattering info? If you want your car to look new in 10 years and withstand door dings and rock chips, PPF. If you want it to look freshly waxed for 3 years without waxing quarterly, ceramic. If you want both, ceramic over PPF. If you want your car to look like a POS in 3 years or less… do nothing.

There have been 1000 threads on this and 400,000 posts. If you’ve really read up, do you truly expect to get new, earth shattering info? If you want your car to look new in 10 years and withstand door dings and rock chips, PPF. If you want it to look freshly waxed for 3 years without waxing quarterly, ceramic. If you want both, ceramic over PPF. If you want your car to look like a POS in 3 years or less… do nothing.
Got it - thanks.

I've tried the DIY Ceramic amateur and it wore off in about 6 months.

I tried the professional PPF Xpel on front 1/3 of car including mirrors+ Lifetime Ceramic Pro Gold on my M S 5 layers and since this is the most expensive car I ever bought, I want it to look like new in 5- 8 years, I budgeted for "The works" I don't regret it. Tomorrow, I will take my new M Y in for the same treatment. Takes them a week to do everything. Cost $4000 with the Sales tax.

I was told doing the whole car with Xpel is not worth the cost as the purpose of the Xpel PPF is mostly to protect the paint from impact from stones and dirt. So only surfaces that are exposed to high wind at driving speed, the front 1/3 of the car is worth the cost.

CP is a good coating but they charge way too much for their coatings (material costs, which get passed onto the customer). This is coming from a CP installer and I am currently working to source something that doesn’t charge an outrageous amount for materials that has good durability. The coating market is flooded right now, and CP has been the stakeholder for awhile. There are a lot of other coatings on the market that are just as good.

Reactions: pt19713

Thanks Everyone!
Shop it around 3500 is high even for this area. Try detailers domain up in Norwood, not sure if they do ceramic pro I believe they prefer nanolex .If you do full PPF no real need for ceramic Pro. On This car I had a full front and rear bumper done for $2200. Then did a diy ceramic coating on the exposed paint an afternoon and $150 if you don't mind doing it your self. I did Gyeon Mohs on my last 2 cars and it worked like new for 3+ years.

How about $15.95 Ceramic Coating (LINK)?

1 layer lasts up to 6 months or more. It requires only 2 sprays per panel, except large surfaces like a hood requiring 4 sprays. With that this small bottle will do the whole car.

We developed this in-house with DIY users in mind without sacrificing the professional results.

Whether getting PPF, ceramic coating or both is a personal choice. But having your car ceramic coated repels dirts and grime to make it a lot easier to wash and maintain. It also gives you that shine or matte look, depending on what you have.

Ceramic coating doesn't have to be expensive, and it's easy to apply. DM is if you have any specific questions, and we'd love to help.

Who did you use? Did the $2000 include PPF and Ceramic?
Konig Detailing About Us | Konig Detailing. It included full front PPF (hood, grill, lights, grill, fenders) and ceramic. I've been happy with everything except the mirrors. They've done them twice and there are some imperfections and the PPF doesn't cover all the mirror (they use pre cut pieces on the mirror). I'll probably be returning Monday to have them do the mirrors again.

Reactions: SumaPerformance