Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF vs Ceramic Pro vs Nothing

What level of PPF protection would you undertake?

• Front Xpel clear PPF + Full Ceramic Pro => $3,500

• Full Xpel clear PPF + Full Ceramic Pro => $6,500

• Dorp Ceramic Pro => -$1,500

• Nothing

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's a question. Suppose you have a good professional ceramic job put on that's supposed to last X years. Can you go back every six months or so and put one of those quickie spray on coatings like hydrosilex or whatever on top to protect the 'true' ceramic coating? Or do they not play well together or something?

What is the best Chemical Guy product to maintain an already ceramic coated car?

So here's a question. Suppose you have a good professional ceramic job put on that's supposed to last X years. Can you go back every six months or so and put one of those quickie spray on coatings like hydrosilex or whatever on top to protect the 'true' ceramic coating? Or do they not play well together or something?
You can use a SiO2 spray. The formulations differ so get one as close to the product you had applied to the car.

From ceramic pro.
Do not wax the coating. It is unnecessary and the wax will not bond to the coating. Ceramic Pro Care is the recommended maintenance and aftercare product. Ask your local installer about purchasing Ceramic Pro Care during your visit.
Consistency is critical with any car care product. While many car enthusiasts like to try different products to use on their car, this isn’t a smart idea with ceramic boost or maintenance sprays. Before you buy, contact the manufacturers of the ceramic coating you had applied or did yourself, and ask them which product they recommend. Using multiple spray coatings can cause compatibility issues, leading to damaging the coating and possibly leading to paint correction.

Reactions: Wigan
I did just the rockers with PPF. I lost all paint on the lower sections of the car not covered in PPF (up to about the door handles) in 2,800 miles.

After lots of fighting, and ~$6,000 out of my pocket. I have the car repainted and completely PPF wrapped.
The paint they use or how they use it is a joke. I'd recommend anyone purchasing one new, add the price of a full PPF wrap to the purchase price.

Ceramic coating is really more for dirt collection, not protection. It's sweet. Get it if you can. Don't believe it's going to actually protect your car from rock chips and what not.

Just sold my 2020 model 3 performance and it had full PPF with ceramic. Doesn’t add to resale value in my opinion but it will help retain overall value on the car. Depends how long you plan to keep the car and how you plan to get rid of it in the future.

IMO full ppf is worth looking into with how thin the paint is applied to the cars (Tesla)

I have it and it protects the car but I would pass. You can have an installer like mine that was highly recommended by the Tesla Club of NY and all that who does a horrible job and doesn’t stand behind their work. Xpel stepped in and sent me to another installer who corrected (which is awesome) but I come to see that the original installer sliced my mirror caps with a cut, took out my tail light upon installation and screwed that up, etc. With that said if you choose to go with someone ensure you are comfortable with their work and you know what they will do. The whole take the car apart and tuck in the corners is BS. With a good installer you can hardly see edges and your car does not need to be taken apart.

I learned my lesson. Also it is just a car and will get beat up if driven. Xpel gets white marks from big rock hits which will go away when removed. STEK is a bit thicker. Enjoy your ride man.

what does an average $1500 ceramic coat usually include?
A.Just the paint
B.paint+All windows+All black trims and plastic
C.Paint+wheels+calipers+Windows+all black trims and plastic+headlights and taillights
Paint.
In my humble opinion, don't waste money on ceramic only. PPF on front is a far better protector.

I got STEK DYNOshield which is PPF with ceramic on top. Front, hood, pillars and mirrors all for $1700.

Attachments

• 20210531_192708.jpg
    20210531_192708.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210531_192731.jpg
    20210531_192731.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210606_122920.jpg
    20210606_122920.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Darmie
Good stuff. I voted for the full PPF and the coating. If anything I would recommend a full PPF, you can use a good detail spray and get the shine where you want it. Buy a good electric pressure washer with a foam cannon and start using that. Knock off the big stuff and use a wash mitt after the foam spray sits for a sec. Pressure rinse the soap. Use squeegee for window surfaces. Follow that with your favorite detail spray on the rest of the car Quick tire shine spray, your choice. If you want to be really wowed, spray pledge on all your black surfaces followed by a wiping rag. I even use pledge on the rims. Gives them that nice deep shine. Pledge the inside door well and inside foot rest areas. Done!
Way back before this PPF and coating, the do it yourself detailers were all into the Zaino. Yep. I still use their Z-6. Here's a picture of my Alero in Puerto Rico in the mid to late 90's. Pure zaino waxes always followed up by the Z-6.

1627062944783.png

Reactions: ucsdsig
Good stuff. I voted for the full PPF and the coating. If anything I would recommend a full PPF, you can use a good detail spray and get the shine where you want it. Buy a good electric pressure washer with a foam cannon and start using that. Knock off the big stuff and use a wash mitt after the foam spray sits for a sec. Pressure rinse the soap. Use squeegee for window surfaces. Follow that with your favorite detail spray on the rest of the car Quick tire shine spray, your choice. If you want to be really wowed, spray pledge on all your black surfaces followed by a wiping rag. I even use pledge on the rims. Gives them that nice deep shine. Pledge the inside door well and inside foot rest areas. Done!
Way back before this PPF and coating, the do it yourself detailers were all into the Zaino. Yep. I still use their Z-6. Here's a picture of my Alero in Puerto Rico in the mid to late 90's. Pure zaino waxes always followed up by the Z-6.

View attachment 687332
Chemical Guys make a great sealer as well and it is called WET for obvious reasons.

I have a black Y, took in the first week for full PPF and ceramic coating.

I would only do front + rockers ppf + ceramic coating on the rest of the car if I purchased any other color.
The goal was for no swirls, scratches, etched water spots in the paint... Washing this car is so easy, less than 20m.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 2.44.57 PM.png

Reactions: Fairchild
My blue MY is 3 months old with 13K miles. No treatments yet.

I’m amazed how “soft & thin” the paint job is. Much more fragile than my Honda. Every time I wash the MY (2 bucket method with No Rinse) I find new marks in the top coat and a dozen or so pinprick-sized white holes in the hood and fenders. Plus bug streaks embedded in the top coat from driving 90mph through Kansas!

Detailer is offering to do paint correction (clay bar & polish) for $300 plus Silver package of 1 layer 9H for $800 (body, wheels, glass). They said if I provided touch-up paint they’d fix the white holes.

Is this worth it? My main goal is erase the damage that has occurred, and have a more streak/scratch resistant surface than I have now. I totally don’t mind doing my own bar & spray on a quarterly basis instead, but I don’t want to get into the business of polishing.

I waited 5 months to do my M S and had to pay for the paint correction too. I got the M Y done immediately the following week after delivery and didn't need that expense.

I would recommend getting the paint correction done and ordering a paint kit from Tesla to do it right. But be advised the ceramic will not satisfy you, especially in the front, unless you have Xpel film applied. I only did the front half on both cars and then they added 4 layers of Ceramic on the whole car. It took 5 days and total cost was approx.$4000 for each car.

The problem with Tesla paint is that it is softer than other cars and easily scratched. The reason why Tesla paint is like that is because Tesla bows to the angry environmentalists who would slam Tesla for not using environmentally friendly paint. Consequently, if you want your Tesla to look good in 3 years, protect the Paint with PPF film and Ceramic. Both are required. Aside from protecting the paint, washing the car is faster and easier. It's the price we pay to please the environmentalists. ( Same for the fake leather seats. )

Personally, if I were only planning to keep the cars for 3-4 years I probably wouldn't have done this, but I want them staying nice for a good 10 years.