Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF with Automatic Car Wash

tmunns

Sep 7, 2021
California
Just had my Model Y wrapped with Xpel Stealth and am curious to see if anyone else uses automatic car washes regularly with PPF installed?

Thanks

acarney

Jul 9, 2019
Richland, WA
Just had my Model Y wrapped with Xpel Stealth and am curious to see if anyone else uses automatic car washes regularly with PPF installed?

Thanks
You'll likely destroy the black trim (~$1700 to replace) so I would avoid it unless you also had a "chrome delete" done on the black trim around the windows...

diddy

Jun 15, 2021
Southern California

Thanks
I would not go through any automatic carwash, especially those with brushes. If you are in a pinch, go touchless however they use harsh chemicals to strip the surface grime.

tmunns

Sep 7, 2021
California
You'll likely destroy the black trim (~$1700 to replace) so I would avoid it unless you also had a "chrome delete" done on the black trim around the windows...
I did not have a chrome delete done. Just took delivery of my Model Y last week so it came from the factory with the black trim.

acarney

Jul 9, 2019
Richland, WA
I did not have a chrome delete done. Just took delivery of my Model Y last week so it came from the factory with the black trim.
That black trim will be chemically stained rainbow colors that you'll forever be covering up with product if you hit most touchless automatic washes.... ask me how I know and how I know how expensive the trim is to replace...

One thought is if you did a chrome delete (black vinyl wrap) on the black trim then you would have a physical separation between the metal and the chemicals and you could use auto washes...

Ceramic coating will not protect it though and I doubt wax would either...

Grovester

Jul 16, 2021
Irvine, CA
Can you share the link to those products please?
I don’t have any interest in the products but for the cost of $30 I can keep my car clean in my garage. I also bought the chemical guys microfiber detergent to clean the micro fibers but jury’s out on that for me.

Wet or Waterless Car Wash Wax 16 oz. Aircraft Quality Wash Wax for your Car RV & Boat. Guaranteed Best Waterless Wash on the Market https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TH3FXK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6BR6AFYJAD6HV079KRTK

50 Pack - SimpleHouseware... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAAJLVG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

mrwug

Jul 30, 2021
Colorado
Every car I've owned over the past 18 years has had PPF on the front. Virtually every car wash I've gotten in that period has been an automatic one. No issues with the film.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC