Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Yes or No?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting my Tesla Model Y in Dec. I have been quoted $8.6k for a full car coverage in the Bay Area.

I am inclined towards it but the steep price is making me re-consider especially with the current economic climate.

Looking for advice from this community if ppf is really useful especially at that price?

Thanks!

Jeez, that seems high! You would think intense competition in your area wouldn't drive a price like that ever downwards. I'm considering clear PPF on the bumper, hood, front of mirrors and front fenders only, to keep the price lower. But over $8K? Wow.

Have had my white Y for 2 years. $28k miles. PPF'ed the hood only myself for less than $200. Just fully waxed/polished the car for the winter this past weekend.
I counted 3 TINY stone chips on the front bumper cover. None anywhere else. I purchased Duplicolor Toyota 070 touch up. I LIGHTLY sanded the edges of the 3 chips down a bit with sandpaper, then dabbed in 4 light layers of touchup into the chips. You literally cant see where they are unless you knew where they were and only if you were like, 2 feet from the former chips.

Planning to sell next year to go to Model Y Performance now that the suspension is less harsh.

DEFINTELY glad I didnt waste thousands needlessly on PPF

Reactions: GoodKarma
My 2 cents - PPF is mostly a waste of good money.
Especially at the price you were quoted. You will never get that money back
when selling. If you get a few chips on your car during your ownership it may cause
you to receive less when you sell, but certainly only a few $$. Rock chips are basically
expected when you buy a used car, so why bother?
Also - I've never heard of such a high estimate for PPF. Shop around if you do decide to get it,
but consider what I've said and save your $$.

Will chips bother you to the point that it seems better to spend the money to avoid the frustration? If so, get it. If you’re mostly thinking about getting PPF as an investment, don’t. It’s money that you will never see again.

I have the front mud flaps and rear door PPF that is sold in Tesla’s store and don’t regret skipping the professional PPF install. Unless you are really looking close, you won’t notice any chips.

Everyone is going to have a different answer....But to me..
You look at the expected lifetime of the PPF which is probably anywhere from 5-10 years (You can make your own judgement call on that).
You then compare whether the cost is worth some paint chips or not.
Resale wise, the additional money you get from having saved yourself paint chips is minimal and you get very little back (if anything) for having PPF although if you sell direct to someone they might value it more and it might make it more attractive. You're still taking a bath on it though...The point of me mentioning that is because the real value needs to be you wanting to keep your car free of little imperfections and chips..and is the money worth it to you for that.
I think most people agree that the biggest value tends to be from having front PPF.....
My personal decision was I was ok with a few normal paint chips that happens through normal driving. But I also used a worst case of having to replace it in 5-6 years...although realistically since I'm not leaving it outside, I probably would've gotten more time out of it..

This is just my philosophy but it's a car, it gets me to point A to point B, I just like no longer having to stop for gas anymore. I don't feel the need to pay 5-10% of the car's total cost to prevent natural wear and tear but to each their own. It's not worth it to me and most people aren't going to be looking too closely at your car to notice them anyways.