Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Your Tesla NOW - I Waited Far Too Long

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Average Tesla owner: I got a rock chip on my hood. Is it totaled?
Sadly, it *WAS* totalled from the rock chip 😟

My last car sat in the same parking spot for 8 years and the paint was fine. The Model 3 has now been in that same parking spot for 1.5 years and it's not doing well. The paint is starting to bubble off from acid bird pooh, and the rocker panels have several chips.

I just can't imagine paying $6k for plastic wrap. I'm more inclined to have the car fully repainted at a body shop in 5 years. Then I can pick any color and get a super thick clear coat.

The problem is that Tesla paint sucks. Their paint quality and clear coat is probably worst in the car industry. I’m 5 weeks into driving my MYP and did front PPF (bumper, front fenders, hood, full A pillars, headlights and fogs, along with door sills and mirrors) I also had the whole car ceramic coated. Sadly for me I got a very small rock chip my first day owning the car with 40 miles on it. I look at my wife’s Volvo XC 60 That’s a year old and 5 times the miles of my car with zero PPF and there’s no chips or any issues with paint. I just washed mine today which was awesome with ceramic as I don’t even have to scrub it. I just pressure wash, foam gun it, and spray it back off after foam sits a bit. I only had a few small bug marks on the bumper that didn’t come off without a microfiber cloth. I did notice though on my drivers side fender flare of the rear door has very small little spots where paint has a tiny little speck of a nick. I get that stuff happens but with 2000 miles on it, that area shouldn’t already see tiny specks of a pit. It’s not noticeable unless you get close to it but after a few years it’ll look horrible. I may go back and get the doors done or lowes rockers. I even have mud flaps front and back. Love the car but Tesla could do so much better with clear coat quality and paint thickness.
If I could go back I would have spent 6000 and had the whole car ppf. The important parts are safe but just keep in mind the paint scratches and chips easier than any other car I’ve ever owned and I’ve had a lot of vehicles in 30 years of driving.

I put ceramic on my wife's last car and kept it coated with a sealant. Didn't do a thing for scratches and the kids backpacks leaving micro scratches on the car. Ceramic makes the car shiny and easier to clean...pretty worthless for real protection. This time, I PPFed the whole damn car and its suddenly kid proof. I wish my Tesla had the full protection on it. I had entire front done and rocker panels and its looks better than the rear of the car with little micro scratches. Lesson learned...PPF the whole car if you want it pristine.

I have 3m PPF on my front end and it chips right through it sometimes. I've determined it only prevents that highway sandblasting effect we get in the northeast. I've even got some tears.

I do regret not putting it on my fog lights right away. They instantly get that sandblasting white speckled look. The kit I used didn't come with the fog lights.

I just can't imagine paying $6k for plastic wrap. I'm more inclined to have the car fully repainted at a body shop in 5 years. Then I can pick any color and get a super thick clear coat.
That was my exact reasoning to not get it either. If I still cared about the car that much in 5 years a repaint or vinyl wrap will be cheaper and have more fun color options.

I've had my car for almost 4 years now and there are only two chips on my hood you have to be up close to see and one on the rocker panel. All three can be very easily repaired to be virtually invisible.

The biggest benefit IMO of having full PPF is being able to go through any regular car wash tunnel but that wasn't worth the $6K+.

PPF is a personal decision. It all depends on what you would like or "expect" for a vehicle.

Here in Colorado for my wife and I, we have PPF put on as soon as possible to prevent rock chips/touchup/respray. This has worked for us. Personally, I would NEVER take any of our vehicles through a "Car Wash Tunnel" especially with rotating brushes. JUST our opinion.

Does it cost more up front...certainly. But it does a good job of not having things destroy your factory paint.

Perhaps in the Tesla community, for Model 3/Y, it won't necessarily make a difference on resale if you do a "respray" but I will tell you this...in the Porsche community.... it most certainly does (especially if it isn't done correctly).

To each his/her own. We are having our M3LR done two days after delivery (and a day of me prepping the paint). If you do not like to do that....then don't.

With things being the way they are now with all the crap going on in the used car market (whether an expensive or inexpensive car) try and schedule a quality paint shop to do a respray that makes you happy. Here in Colorado I know I can't find something that works for us.

Not to be argumentative but just wanted to put out my opinion.

Also, for folks that think that a Vinyl Wrap will give you the same protection as a PPF (read Xpel, Suntek, 3m) most vinyl wraps are very thin and do not offer the protection that a PPF provides. Several of the folks I go to the track with that have outstanding vinyl graphics also use a PPF over that at times for their Porsches.

Just a differing opinion.

PPF is a personal decision. It all depends on what you would like or "expect" for a vehicle.

Here in Colorado for my wife and I, we have PPF put on as soon as possible to prevent rock chips/touchup/respray. This has worked for us. Personally, I would NEVER take any of our vehicles through a "Car Wash Tunnel" especially with rotating brushes. JUST our opinion.

Does it cost more up front...certainly. But it does a good job of not having things destroy your factory paint.

Perhaps in the Tesla community, for Model 3/Y, it won't necessarily make a difference on resale if you do a "respray" but I will tell you this...in the Porsche community.... it most certainly does (especially if it isn't done correctly).

To each his/her own. We are having our M3LR done two days after delivery (and a day of me prepping the paint). If you do not like to do that....then don't.

With things being the way they are now with all the crap going on in the used car market (whether an expensive or inexpensive car) try and schedule a quality paint shop to do a respray that makes you happy. Here in Colorado I know I can't find something that works for us.

Not to be argumentative but just wanted to put out my opinion.

Also, for folks that think that a Vinyl Wrap will give you the same protection as a PPF (read Xpel, Suntek, 3m) most vinyl wraps are very thin and do not offer the protection that a PPF provides. Several of the folks I go to the track with that have outstanding vinyl graphics also use a PPF over that at times for their Porsches.

Just a differing opinion.

I don't like the "i could always repaint for the same price" argument. I think PPF offers far more benefit because you have a pristine car through your ownership. You can even California duster the car all over because it self heals and can go a lot longer between washes.

I don't like the "i could always repaint for the same price" argument. I think PPF offers far more benefit because you have a pristine car through your ownership. You can even California duster the car all over because it self heals and can go a lot longer between washes.
Agreed. How many folks ACTUALLY do a respray? I would venture to guess less than 1% of ALL Tesla users.

---------------------------------
PPF is more flexible with cleaning. Not a fan of the Cali Duster (I have one of the originals.....LOL) but it is used for my truck and it will not touch one of our cars (way to expensive) but I do use it on the ones that have PPF installed at times and then RARELY.

So folks know, you can also apply a Ceramic coat to your PPF if you would like.

Again, this is a personal decision for people. It simply depends on what you are willing to do.

We are keeping our M3LR (as all of our cars) till the wheels fall off. Just the way my wife and I are.

Reactions: sorphin
Agreed. How many folks ACTUALLY do a respray? I would venture to guess less than 1% of ALL Tesla users.

---------------------------------
PPF is more flexible with cleaning. Not a fan of the Cali Duster (I have one of the originals.....LOL) but it is used for my truck and it will not touch one of our cars (way to expensive) but I do use it on the ones that have PPF installed at times and then RARELY.

So folks know, you can also apply a Ceramic coat to your PPF if you would like.

Again, this is a personal decision for people. It simply depends on what you are willing to do.

We are keeping our M3LR (as all of our cars) till the wheels fall off. Just the way my wife and I are.

I got one of the new PPFs with ceramic embedded in the film. We'll see how well it does over time. Even on a dusty car with PPF, the duster won't do any damage. Its just to keep it looking cleaner for longer as California dust will cake your car in a day if left outside. I'm also not afraid to spray a PPF car with a cleaner solution to wipe up any dirty areas...that scratch protection / self heal is wonderful.

As you can tell, I'm a BIG fan of it :D

• Love
Reactions: ColoradoMike
I got one of the new PPFs with ceramic embedded in the film. We'll see how well it does over time. Even on a dusty car with PPF, the duster won't do any damage. Its just to keep it looking cleaner for longer as California dust will cake your car in a day if left outside. I'm also not afraid to spray a PPF car with a cleaner solution to wipe up any dirty areas...that scratch protection / self heal is wonderful.

As you can tell, I'm a BIG fan of it :D
Yes you are correct! Xpel and others won't even notice the duster.....just be careful with the areas that are not covered.

I TOTALLY have zero issues washing my cars but I do it at home. (Note: I am meticulous on washing/caring for our cars).

Fortunately for us we have a BIG GARAGE and now that the Tesla will take one of the 4 out, I am super cautious about what happens in the sun and stupid COLORADO HAIL! PPF does not help that when you get golf ball/baseball sized nuggets raining down here. If I have time I can manage to "snuggle them all close to being inside.

I have been detailing vehicles for the better part of 30+ years on the side (hobby not a job) so most things, unless catastrophic are pretty easy to fix.

Never seen the embedded ceramic in the film....not certain how that works but let me know please!

Yes you are correct! Xpel and others won't even notice the duster.....just be careful with the areas that are not covered.

I TOTALLY have zero issues washing my cars but I do it at home. (Note: I am meticulous on washing/caring for our cars).

Fortunately for us we have a BIG GARAGE and now that the Tesla will take one of the 4 out, I am super cautious about what happens in the sun and stupid COLORADO HAIL! PPF does not help that when you get golf ball/baseball sized nuggets raining down here. If I have time I can manage to "snuggle them all close to being inside.

I have been detailing vehicles for the better part of 30+ years on the side (hobby not a job) so most things, unless catastrophic are pretty easy to fix.

Never seen the embedded ceramic in the film....not certain how that works but let me know please!

I was in a discussion with someone once about car care, and they were surprised that, although I like nice cars, I do not like in the slightest doing any detailing on them, etc. What I said to them was this:

===========================================

"Everyone has something they sort of "Zen out" to, or enjoy doing. For some people, thats washing cars. I know people detail their cars for hours. Thats not me. That IS me for BBQ ing though / Cooking meats, though. I really enjoy BBQ ing, have 3 different types of BBQ grills / smokers, and almost enjoy the process, smells etc of cooking the meat more than I enjoy eating it... although I do enjoy eating it cause I am pretty darn good at BBQ ing lol".

I envy those of you who enjoy car detailing a little bit, because I like a clean car, but cant stand the work that goes into it (rofl).

I was in a discussion with someone once about car care, and they were surprised that, although I like nice cars, I do not like in the slightest doing any detailing on them, etc. What I said to them was this:

"Everyone has something they sort of "Zen out" to, or enjoy doing. For some people, thats washing cars. I know people detail their cars for hours. Thats not me. That IS me for BBQ ing though / Cooking meats, though. I really enjoy BBQ ing, have 3 different types of BBQ grills / smokers, and almost enjoy the process, smells etc of cooking the meat more than I enjoy eating it... although I do enjoy eating it cause I am pretty darn good at BBQ ing lol".

I envy those of you who enjoy car detailing a little bit, because I like a clean car, but cant stand the work that goes into it (rofl).

Isn't that the point of the PPF? If you get it, car maintenance is SO EASY. Go to a car wash bay, spray and wash quickly then leave. Don't have to care about the 2 bucket method or causing micro-scratches or waxing / sealant etc...

Isn't that the point of the PPF? If you get it, car maintenance is SO EASY. Go to a car wash bay, spray and wash quickly then leave. Don't have to care about the 2 bucket method or causing micro-scratches or waxing / sealant etc...

I pay for someone to wash my car, so "ease of cleaning" is not a selling point for me. Neither is the lack of rock chips etc. I am not "po pooing" those who that is important to at all. I was just commenting on how most people have something they "zen out" to, and for some, thats car maintenance, and for others its something else.

Everyone has something they are willing to spend money on, and things they arent, regardless of the cost of those things. The same person who says a $10 smartphone app is "too expensive" can be a person who spends $300 on expensive bottles of wine / spirits, and doesnt understand why others dont see the value there.