Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Your Tesla NOW - I Waited Far Too Long

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You forgot either:

"I need to tweet elon about how crappy the paint is on his cars!" or
"I need to make a video on this, and post it on youtube".

I was in a discussion with someone once about car care, and they were surprised that, although I like nice cars, I do not like in the slightest doing any detailing on them, etc. What I said to them was this:

===========================================

"Everyone has something they sort of "Zen out" to, or enjoy doing. For some people, thats washing cars. I know people detail their cars for hours. Thats not me. That IS me for BBQ ing though / Cooking meats, though. I really enjoy BBQ ing, have 3 different types of BBQ grills / smokers, and almost enjoy the process, smells etc of cooking the meat more than I enjoy eating it... although I do enjoy eating it cause I am pretty darn good at BBQ ing lol".

===========================================

I envy those of you who enjoy car detailing a little bit, because I like a clean car, but cant stand the work that goes into it (rofl).

I LOVE car care! Personal decision.

Your quote is AWESOME!

We are ALL different! I enjoy flying, working on cars, understanding them (although the Tesla is a weird thing), doing my own maintenance on our race car and other ones.

There are benefits to lots of things. Case in point, car stuff. I am probably the only person in our neighborhood that literally searches out wrenching on vehicles whether it comes to modifications or making them look "S E X Y"....;)

I just like doing that. Thanks for the response. My "ZEN" is working in the garage doing oil changes, suspension work, upgrades, and detailing. I like it! Most won't go that far but I hope I can offer some opinions that some here have either discounted "or" did not consider.

Respect!

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
I spent thousands on PPF and ceramic coating on my last car. Still got chips and dents from stuff tearing through the PPF (Xpel Ultimate). I have park outside for work. Car ended up being dirty 99% of the time. Wasted so much time and water washing it myself. Not worth the time, effort, or money to keep a daily driver pristine. Now I leave the car dirty and wash when I can. Might have to resort to tunnel washes with the drought now.

Here in Colorado for my wife and I, we have PPF put on as soon as possible to prevent rock chips/touchup/respray. This has worked for us. Personally, I would NEVER take any of our vehicles through a "Car Wash Tunnel" especially with rotating brushes. JUST our opinion.
If you have PPF does it really matter if the car goes through a contact tunnel wash? Genuine question. I've heard many PPF shops use that as a selling point and it was the most appealing to me.

I care about my cars... for the first two years before it starts going through tunnels lol. I only take mine through this particular tunnel where they do a manual pre-soak and it probably has the same amount of micro scratches as when I hand wash and virtually invisible even under the sun. Only if you take a flashlight at an angle do you see a few.

Last edited:
If you have PPF does it really matter if the car goes through a contact tunnel wash? Genuine question. I've heard making PPF shops use that as a selling point and it was the most appealing to me.

I care about my cars... for the first two years before it starts going through tunnels lol. I only take mine through this particular tunnel where they do a manual pre-soak and it probably has the same amount of micro scratches as when I hand wash and virtually invisible even under the sun. Only if you take a flashlight at an angle do you see a few.

I'd be worried about it lifting the PPF. Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Reactions: ColoradoMike
If you have PPF does it really matter if the car goes through a contact tunnel wash? Genuine question. I've heard many PPF shops use that as a selling point and it was the most appealing to me.

As @Apprunner stated some tunnel washes can lift the PPF or Vinyl wraps.