Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF [satire]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why stop at the remote or the outside of the car? Full PPF on both S & 3
PXL_20220625_144107855.MP.jpg

It does seem a little nuts and where does it end.... you put PPF on your car to protect the paint, then you put ceramic coat on the PPF to protect the PPF and give it some shine. What's funny (or sad) is I'm planning on doing all of this craziness 🤭 However, I do plan on owning this car for 10 years and 150k miles so that's how I'm justifying the ridiculous cost!

Reactions: outdoors
It does seem a little nuts and where does it end.... you put PPF on your car to protect the paint, then you put ceramic coat on the PPF to protect the PPF and give it some shine. What's funny (or sad) is I'm planning on doing all of this craziness 🤭 However, I do plan on owning this car for 10 years and 150k miles so that's how I'm justifying the ridiculous cost!

Yes, PPF is very expensive and not for everyone. As I have said on other posts on TMC, a $10 bottle of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine is a perfectly good choice for paint protection. However, PPF does offer the absolute highest level of paint protection. And its self-healing properties are mind blowing. I have watched scratches magically disappear in the heat of the sun. No other paint protection product on the market self heals like PPF.

Recently, while I was outside washing my 2018 P3D (which has a whole-car Xpel PPF), someone walking by congratulated me on my "brand new Model 3". He could not believe that my car is 3 1/2 years old and parked outside 24/7. Although I do wash my car regularly (and yes, I put a ceramic sealant on top of the PPF), I think the main reason my car still looks new is because of the PPF.

Oh heck- Live it up...Buy the Full FSD BETA, Tint the windows with the best Crystalline tint, PPL the whole car with best Expel and don't forget to give it a nice Ceramic coating. Now, about the wheels....🤣🤣

Weird how some seem perplexed that others attempt to preserve the factory finish. It seems to me simply a matter of degree - we all fall somewhere between never wash and never care to obsessive regular detailing. I’m nowhere near OCD with car care but we chose to have both full PPF and Pro Ceramic applied immediately after delivery.

We are in latter years of life and tend to buy and hold the cars we want. This will hopefully be one of our last car purchases. So far although initial cost was a bitter pill, the experience overall has met or exceeded expectations. Not least of all is the fact that I can maintain a high degree of finish without living with a a sore shoulder for several days or weeks after. Spray wash on, drag a mitt across with minimal pressure, rinse and blow dry works well for me at this stage of life. Gone are the long weekends, washing, claying, polishing, and waxing - I now have time to kill myself landscaping and gardening 😃

9BA55EC4-86CB-4620-80AC-2CB530CE94D4.jpeg

I think PPF may have begun with the practice or clear plastic covers on household furnishings. I recall visiting homes when I was a kid that had everything in the house except the carpet in transparent plastic covers. I expect this was from the value people placed on their stuff and the hard work it took to earn that money. No effort was spared to preserve it.
So as much as we might find humor in PPF, I respect people’s effort to preserve what they have

PPF is a luxury, not an investment. Like any luxury, buy it if it makes you happy and you can comfortably afford it.

And have you all never been to someone's house where the sofa was wrapped in plastic, and the rug had a plastic cover too?? 😀 It's a thing!