Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPSW touch-up paint - is there a better source than Tesla for a more accurate match?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a very small paint chip in my front bumper than I want to fix before getting the PPF on my Pearl White MYLR5.

I went to the Tesla site thinking "Who else would have a better paint match than the actual manufacturer?", but then I saw their disclaimer: "Final results of Pearl White may appear slightly different than the rest of your vehicle depending on the lighting environment and application process used."

Is there a consensus on another repair kit that is a better color match for the PPSW, or is the Tesla kit as good as it gets?

I saw other threads where people liked the kit from Touch-Up Direct, but I think those threads were from a few years ago. Wasn't sure if there was a new go-to company for the best match.

Please and thank you.

tesla uses dr colorchip they a pretty damn close, no company can guarantee a pearl match, there is just no way around it even professionally done its hard. order through tesla or dr colorchip and you will be happy there stuff is awesome

Reactions: squirk
My experience with touching up the paint on my 2020 Model Y is that the factory paint is so thin that it is not possible to apply primer, base coat (color), mid coat (metallic flakes) and top coat (clear) and have the touch up area not be much thicker than the factory paint. Ah for the good ol' days when the factory paint was 3/32 thick.

My experience with touching up the paint on my 2020 Model Y is that the factory paint is so thin that it is not possible to apply primer, base coat (color), mid coat (metallic flakes) and top coat (clear) and have the touch up area not be much thicker than the factory paint. Ah for the good ol' days when the factory paint was 3/32 thick.
I guess my question then is - how thick is touch-up paint, generally? Can I (or do I need to) apply in layers until the chip fill is flush with the original paint?

I guess my question then is - how thick is touch-up paint, generally? Can I (or do I need to) apply in layers until the chip fill is flush with the original paint?
Thick. You can lightly dry sand between coats (use 2000 to 3000 grit sand paper) and then add a coat or move from primer to base color; base color to mid coat, finally to clear coat. The factory paint is thin, like egg shell thin. The color match (PPSW - Tesla Pearl White Multicoat/Shasta Multicoat) was good. The challenge is to not have the repair be too thick. I gave up.

Hey geordi, how did you find this match? Could you share some before and after pics? Thanks
I'd have to find another chip to fix (I'm sure there are a couple I missed) but the way I found it was looking at an Autozone that was particularly well stocked and grabbed three that I thought looked pretty close. The idea was to use the ball point pen tip to put a small dot in the hatch channel where both the original paint was undamaged AND it wouldn't show if it didn't match until I could wipe it off.

I got lucky and the first one I tried was the Toyota color and it looked like a perfect match, which it ended up being. I didn't buy the others.

Automotive Touchup Direct. Exact-Match Car Paint | Premium Automotive Paint for Flawless Results | Easy-to-Use Auto Paint | Truck and Car Touch-Up Paint | AutomotiveTouchup

I only have experience with Touch Up Direct paint for my Pearl White Metallic 2020 Model Y.
Used this kit for a door ding on my MY…matched great - but my touch up paint skills are less than desired…took a couple weeks for the paint to be delivered, but matched up really well. You won’t be disappointed

How close of a match? I looked up Toyota 070 pearl white and it appears a little more eggier than the 2021 Y PPSW color. Was the match on a door or panel? Thanks
The sticker might appear a little off - but if you were looking at it on a computer or under non-outdoor lighting.... You may be getting a bad read on it.

Seriously, the touch bottle is like $12. It matches, grab one and put a tiny spot on one of the hidden sections under the door or trunk lids and let it dry. You will be amazed.

Hi guys, I have a 2021 Tesla Model "Y" - Pearl White and see that the Scratch Happens kit includes a Primer, Paint and a Clear Coat finish and would appreciate clarification that the Paint IS PEARL white and NOT white that needs a pearl finish" to be added?
Thank you
Bob