Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PR Value of Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's been my experience that the vast majority of people who are not EV owners are completely unaware that the SpC network exists so I would guess that there is little PR value. once people get serious about owning tesla their knowledge goes up a bit. Many tesla owners have never used a SpC.

Reactions: Blueeyedme
I live on the San Francisco peninsula where Teslas are common and in general there is a high awareness of the companyj (in the sense that people know the name and that it makes EVs) and yet my experience is the same: almost everyone I talk to who does not own a Tesla knows nothing about the Supercharger network. It continues to amaze me...

I don't think there's much value from direct observation, as others have said. However, I think there is immense PR value from their existence. Road trips are probably the #1 concern people have when I show them my car. They hear "250 mile range" and think "so much for that trip to Disney World, cool car but not practical." Then they hear "fast charging stops on major highways, free to use" and suddenly the whole equation reverses itself.

Tesla could probably do more to get the word out on that. Of course, they're selling them as fast as they can build them for now....

Edit: one other thing occurs to me: the chargers themselves may not get much attention, but cars charging at them sometimes do. I've had a few people approach me while charging and ask lots of questions. They tend to be in public areas so people go past, and seeing this unusual car (not unusual in CA, but it is in a lot of other places...) with this weird cable plugged into the back of it tends to trigger some curiosity.

Last edited:
All my friends, literally every one of my friends don't know what they are until I explain it to them. There is little current value in them.... now if Tesla made a commercial with them..... then maybe....

Actually, there can be up to 120kW of current value in them, and that is quite a lot! :eek:

Seriously, though, I have noticed here in the Valley that initially there is a lot of curiosity when the installation is new. ICE drivers drive past and stare at the vehicles charging, perhaps even slowing down and asking what we are doing. But that only lasts a month or so. It is unclear whether these individuals have heard of Tesla or not.

I am assuming that the ignorance of the general public far outweighs the publicity angle of the Superchargers. I believe that they are still stuck with ICE mentality of "filling up" at a gas station; ergo, we "fill up" at these Superchargers and have to wait 20-40 minutes, while they are on their way after 10 minutes at a gas station. Being able to charge at home overnight never enters their heads.

I just returned from a 7k mile round trip roadtrip. At almost every supercharger stop outside of CA passer-bys came out of the woodwork to see what was going on. Usually a few mins of conversation about the superchargers ensued. Most people said they'd never seen anyone use them so were curious, and most were blown away by the fact that they were free and across the country, that I'd drove from CA, etc. Extremely positive responses. PR value seems to dramatically increase when people see a car charging and have an owner to talk to.

PR value seems to dramatically increase when people see a car charging and have an owner to talk to.
This is definitely true. I probably get someone asking about Tesla about one in five charger stops. Far more often than just parking which has actually become rare the past year or so. I think when we're charging we appear more available plus they have something to base a question on.

I'd think that, similar to eyeballs on web pages, an eyeball in real life is worth something. They may not think anything of it when they see the superchargers but then when they see a Model S they might subconsciously put the two together — Tesla is a thing.

it's been my experience that the vast majority of people who are not EV owners are completely unaware that the SpC network exists so I would guess that there is little PR value. once people get serious about owning tesla their knowledge goes up a bit. Many tesla owners have never used a SpC.

I second that as the last time I was charging at a SC I witnessed a guy pull up, back in to the slot, pop his trunk and get his mobile connector out and then attempt to try to find out where to plug in the mobile connector to the super charger. He finally figured it out, but it's was the funniest Tesla moment I've witnessed to date since owning my car.

Gotta believe the vast majority of people just charge at home, commute to work, and really don't get out much.

I second that as the last time I was charging at a SC I witnessed a guy pull up, back in to the slot, pop his trunk and get his mobile connector out and then attempt to try to find out where to plug in the mobile connector to the super charger. He finally figured it out, but it's was the funniest Tesla moment I've witnessed to date since owning my car.

Gotta believe the vast majority of people just charge at home, commute to work, and really don't get out much.

That is insanely hilarious. :D

Had to double check that you were saying it really happened.

The general public is totally unaware. Even people that know something about Tesla don't know about the Superchargers. But it's a great selling feature. "You car comes with free charging", is definitely a selling argument. When I talk to people asking me about my car they are all most impressed when I tell them about the free Supercharger network. Getting 'free gas' is such a big deal because having to pay lots of money at the pump every time is very much in people's mind. Everyone hates paying for gas.

So I'd say it isn't a PR thing, but it's selling the car once someone starts to be interested in buying

Reactions: gavine
It is very rare someone comes up to me at a supercharger and knows what they are even in Centralia, which is just south of Seattle.

It is much more common in California. I'd imagine much less often as the distance increases from major cities.

I'm so excited about the Norway 2025 no more ICE sales news and I hope that raises awareness a few ticks

It worked on me. An acquaintance has a roadster and an early S. That's how I first heard of Tesla.

Then a very visible from the road supercharger facility was installed near my house. Driving by it twice a day got my attention.

But, silly as it sounds, the thing that really got me serious about Tesla was our state legislature and their anticompetitive car sales law. That got me so riled up I went to the local service center, asked a few questions. They referred me to a sales person in California and after a day or so I went online and ordered my S.

Take that Utah legislature! :)