Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Practical kilometres in a M3 long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI

Thinking of changing my 2019 M3 SR+ for a new M3 long range.
Can anyone give me an idea of the practical freeway range of a 2022 long range M3.
I know there are many variables but it would be good to get some info from people who actually have the LR.

Thanks in advance.
Greg

HI

Can anyone give me an idea of the practical freeway range of a 2022 long range M3.
I know there are many variables but it would be good to get some info from people who actually have the LR.

Thanks in advance.
Greg
It depends. From Geelong to Melbourne I see 123wh/km, or about 510 km range on a full charge to zero. In the Otways I typically see 165wh/km. Different terrain has a huge impact. Wind, temperature and vehicle speed also contribute to variation. In all cases, the car predicts SOC at destination within one or two percent. Plugshare is less accurate, I've found.

HI

Thanks in advance.
Greg

As distance per charge is partly based on your individual driving style and the normal routes you take the best approach is to compare the distance you get from your current usable SR pack and calculate how much a new long range pack will get you. For instance if the current usable pack is 50kwh and it gets you 300kms on a particular route, 75kwh usable from a 2022 LR may get you 450kms on the same route. Warning: this is based on the same wheel and tyre configuration.

Reactions: Ozdw
Different terrain has a huge impact. Wind, temperature and vehicle speed also contribute to variation.

And don’t forget change in elevation. The increase in potential energy of lifting an 1800kg vehicle to a higher elevation is significant. It takes 0.49 kWh of energy to raise a car that heavy 100m. So driving from sea level to 1000m, even if you could do it without covering any distance and perfectly efficiently, would use 4.9 kWh of your battery pack.

Conversely, don’t get freaked out with loss of range driving uphill, if you get to also drive downhill before needing another charge. My record for downhill driving is 19 Wh/km over 50 km!

I have done ~10,000km in my 2022 LR.
I drive 850km round trip every fortnight or so on a fairly typical Aussie trip.
Trip has 450m elevation gain one way.
Average speed on trip is 108km/h.
Max speed is about 117km/h.
Driver only, 1-2 bags.
Air con, seat heating etc all on auto.
Tires at 44psi.
Lifetime energy use is 167wH/km, for a usable total real world range of 467km.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
I have done ~10,000km in my 2022 LR.
I drive 850km round trip every fortnight or so on a fairly typical Aussie trip.
Trip has 450m elevation gain one way.
Average speed on trip is 108km/h.
Max speed is about 117km/h.
Driver only, 1-2 bags.
Air con, seat heating etc all on auto.
Tires at 44psi.
Lifetime energy use is 167wH/km, for a usable total real world range of 467km.
Do you do the one-way trip without a mid way charge?

I have a 9 month old LR and just did 780km from Northern Beaches Sydney (sea level) to Canberra (650 metres) then about 90km around town and return. 3 people. Key figures were:

1. Sydney to Canberra 332.2km 79% battery used (estimated 81%) from 100% start. 58.4kwhrs, strong headwinds. 176wh/km. Climate on all the way and speed limit all +1, mainly 110km/hr.

2. Return COLD (-4deg external, cabin -2deg) start. Climate C. heating all the way. 64% battery used (estimate was 65%). 321.1km 47.7kwhrs, neutral wind. 148.6whrs/km. All at speed limit+1 (=real speed) and one 1500metre length of 40 km/hr roadwork.

So, you can extrapolate your own figures from these. On the return trip, I dropped grandkids at schools and left with 88% charge and was totally confident there was more than enough range to get home as proved to be the case when I drove in at 24%.

Last edited:
I have a 9 month old LR and just did 780km from Northern Beaches Sydney (sea level) to Canberra (650 metres) then about 90km around town and return. 3 people. Key figures were:

1. Sydney to Canberra 332.2km 79% battery used (estimated 81%) from 100% start. 58.4kwhrs, strong headwinds. 176wh/km. Climate on all the way and speed limit all +1, mainly 110km/hr.

Thanks for the figures. That goes to show how high consumption can be when travelling from Sydney to Canberra. It's uphill and a pretty fast road. Looks like the original Model 3 SR with NCA batteries wouldn't make it.

Each to his/her own decision. If I had bought the SR+ then I am sure I would have been happy enough, range wise. NSW incentives and Tesla price drops allowed me to get the LR and I am very happy with it. One of the things I considered was range in 5 to 10yrs after some battery degradation. Of course the equations on this change with the introduction of LFP for the SR+. As a general "rule of thumb" I use 440km as my range out on the highways and in regional Australia and then refine using ABRP and the car nav system. This range really does give quite a lot of flexibility. It can also mean more direct routes. For instance, a few months ago we embarked on a 1,000km trip to regional NSW and we would have needed two 40km detours for a charger if we had been in an SR+. So not a show stopper but a matter of convenience. We sometimes visit a daughter who lives off-grid about 300km away (with a 1,100metre elevation in between). We can drive there, get a top up from their excess solar and drive home again. There is only a solitary NRMA charger on the route so we can leave that for others who need it more.

Reactions: Vostok
Can anyone tell me what the guessometer says on a current model 3 single motor.

Friend is looking to buy a 3 single motor and I think he might have quoted a range of 460 by Tesla. Does this mean the guessometer will show something around 400 when new and fully charged?

My 2020 dual motor says about 450 when full nowadays. Was 500 when new and the BS sticker said 620km.