Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-2019 HW3 upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the phone as a key and the key cards stayed, bluetooth for the phones were gone as well as radio stations but not streaming favorites, user profiles also gone.

Thanks - as much as I want the newer hardware, I may hold off until there is a more compelling reason to upgrade (or maybe they’ll figure out how to transfer settings over like an iPhone backup and restore)

Reactions: gilscales
how long did the install take?
they had the car for 6 days so...., they had scratched the front bumper while it was in the shop and replaced it with a new one, they originally quoted me a one day service but the car sat for 2 days without moving (TeslaFi), at least they did provide a loaner S, that was really nice of them as they no longer offer this unless they project 48 hours or more for the repairs.

Sigh. I was cancelled late Dec for a HW3 upgrade due to a lack of parts. Rebooked recently for Feb 7th (with other stuff I need done) and was told HW3 upgrades were not available yet. I have a 2017 Model 3.

My guess: this is gonna be done in standard Tesla style, so completely unorganized and chaotic. Sinilar to the spoiler rollout only more people involved.

Yep, not much of a stretch on that one, no limb needed, that seems to be the way they do things.

Yeah, so unnecessary too. It would be easy enough to send out a mass email that says in very general terms how this will play out "group 1 are these people and they will be done in Q1, group 2 are these and they will be Q2. AP2.0 owners, you are in group "bit off more than we could chew" and you will be upgraded on Feb 30. Dont call us, we will call you."

Yeah, so unnecessary too. It would be easy enough to send out a mass email that says in very general terms how this will play out "group 1 are these people and they will be done in Q1, group 2 are these and they will be Q2. AP2 owners, you are in group "bit off more than we could chew" and you will be upgraded on Feb 30. Dont call us, we will call you."
Yes I agree, I am not complaining though as I did get lucky, the fair thing would be to have a queue and when your number comes up you would have a short time to take the reservation (say maybe 7 days?) or it moves to the next and you could be moved back into the queue, apparently these types of reasonable way to order things for fairness are not something Tesla is able or willing to do.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Thanks - as much as I want the newer hardware, I may hold off until there is a more compelling reason to upgrade (or maybe they’ll figure out how to transfer settings over like an iPhone backup and restore)

FWIW when they did my car two months ago the only thing I had to do was re-pair my phone for music, and log back in to Netflix and Hulu. Didn’t lose profiles or trip odometer or settings.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I was told earlier model 3 will need some wiring changed out and that they were starting with later Model 3s first then tackling the older ones later. This was the Cincinnati Ohio service center. I had my car in for an alignment.
I wonder if this is a difference in CAN bus wiring harness?

they had the car for 6 days so...., they had scratched the front bumper while it was in the shop and replaced it with a new one, they originally quoted me a one day service but the car sat for 2 days without moving (TeslaFi), at least they did provide a loaner S, that was really nice of them as they no longer offer this unless they project 48 hours or more for the repairs.
Man I would be pissed. I would want to to pay for re-ppf on the front bumper. It's not cheap!

My Model 3 Performance purchased September 2018 is getting the HW3 put in today.
Tesla Service said they needed it for 3 to 4 hours. Also getting a tire rotation at the same time.
Second time is the charm for me. I tried again and got this message from Tesla..
Good morning,
This is Tesla Mobile Service. I do see that your profile is flagged as eligible for the HW3 retrofit. This is not mobile capable and must be performed at the service center. Please let us know your preferred center and we can schedule you accordingly. Thank you!