Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-2019 HW3 upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Second time is the charm for me. I tried again and got this message from Tesla..
Good morning,
This is Tesla Mobile Service. I do see that your profile is flagged as eligible for the HW3 retrofit. This is not mobile capable and must be performed at the service center. Please let us know your preferred center and we can schedule you accordingly. Thank you!
How did you messge them regarding this?

I put in a request and they called 2 days later.

Oct 2018 build.
Columbus, OH.
FSD during 2k sale.

They finished it in 6 hours last week.

Invoice shows wire rework and visor unit.
Screenshot_20200204-195811.png

Why did they replace the visor unit? Which side? So they actually install a new visor?

It's not a sun visor.

According to a Reddit thread it's some type of "shield" that is now backordered to some degree. I don't know if shield means control board like you'd add to a raspberry pi or Arduino, or like heat shield.

They didn't tell me anything about the rewire or shield it was just on the invoice.

That being said, they scheduled for one day then rescheduled for 4 days later because they were waiting on a part.

Other than the reschedule everything went smooth and I got a loaner model S for the 6 hours.

I'm just happy mine is done before the rush, and I can see cones and traffic lights now.

Here's the Reddit thread mentioning the visor:

HW3 Upgrade Failed : teslamotors

My car (an August 2018 delivery), is scheduled for the HW3 update at 8:00am today. I simply made an appointment a couple weeks ago for it and they scheduled it for the new Service Center in Lynnwood, WA. We'll see if they have the parts when I get there I suppose, but for now I have to believe it will be installed as planned. I was not contacted initially - I just made the appointment and requested the upgrade. There was no push-back on the request.

My car (an August 2018 delivery), is scheduled for the HW3 update at 8:00am today. I simply made an appointment a couple weeks ago for it and they scheduled it for the new Service Center in Lynnwood, WA. We'll see if they have the parts when I get there I suppose, but for now I have to believe it will be installed as planned. I was not contacted initially - I just made the appointment and requested the upgrade. There was no push-back on the request.
Same for me Steve.

Im not sure I understand . What “appointment” are u making? The one for the upgrade? Or something else and then you ask for the upgrade? Is it through the app?
As I said, I made an appointment asking for HW 3 upgrade through the Tesla app. Since I was turned down the first time I didn’t expect Tesla to do it this time either but made another appointment asking for HW3 upgrade through the Tesla app. This time they said yes. YMMV.

I took my M3P in for the HW3 upgrade yesterday and it went as planned. I dropped it off at 8:00am and it was ready at 2:00pm, with the HW3 installed. As "hcdavis3" stated in his reply, an appointment requesting the HW3 upgrade was made via the Tesla app, and they confirmed the date and location for the work. No pushback or anything. Keep in mind that a few of your settings will be lost (like my Homelink settings, driver profile, Home location on GPS, etc.) so you'll have a bit of work to do when you get the car back. I'd still do the upgrade though. It's pretty cool having the stoplights showing up on the screen as you pull up to intersections.

As I said, I made an appointment asking for HW 3 upgrade through the Tesla app. Since I was turned down the first time I didn’t expect Tesla to do it this time either but made another appointment asking for HW3 upgrade through the Tesla app. This time they said yes. YMMV.
Sorry, so in the APP you went to the “upgrades” section and free space area you wrote that you want an the H3 upgrade you’ve paid for? How long after the second request did they contact you?

Sorry, so in the APP you went to the “upgrades” section and free space area you wrote that you want an the H3 upgrade you’ve paid for? How long after the second request did they contact you?

I'm not who you directed that to, but yes. I went to schedule appointment, upgrades, and in the text box said, "Checking on the status of HW3 Retrofit", I scheduled it for about 10 days out. They contacted me two days later, and scheduled a closer appointment over the phone.

No I just requested HW3 upgrade via the app. Simple as that. They contacted me after a few days. Just try requesting HW 3 upgrade on the Tesla app. Couldn’t hurt. Come on Tex, this isn’t complicated.

I put in a request and they called 2 days later.

Oct 2018 build.
Columbus, OH.
FSD during 2k sale.

They finished it in 6 hours last week.

Invoice shows wire rework and visor unit.
View attachment 508018

Ooo I'm in Columbus, Ohio as well with a November 2018 build. Might be worth tempting my fate as well, instead of waiting for them to reach out. I just assumed vin 133,XXX would be really far down on the priority list.

Reactions: mrau