Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-2019 HW3 upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As anyone heard anything about those of us who ordered in 2017, configured and took delivery 2018 but have yet to get the FSD computer upgrade? Anyone get the notification from Tesla to make an appointment? Weren't we supposed to get the upgrade in spring/summer of 2019?

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I did the experiment of scheduling a service to upgrade the computer. I was told to **** on a very nice and polite way, I've seen that some people have gotten it upgraded as part of other service visits. We shall wait

As anyone heard anything about those of us who ordered in 2017, configured and took delivery 2018 but have yet to get the FSD computer upgrade? Anyone get the notification from Tesla to make an appointment? Weren't we supposed to get the upgrade in spring/summer of 2019?

They have started with the earliest VINs in California if the few reports out there are to be believed. So those who took delivery in 2017 and early 2018. I was told by mobile service recently that they are doing them and they will contact you when you are up, but that if you contact them and you are on the list they will go ahead and do your car.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I made a mobile appt. to have HW3 installed and the day before the visit I got a call saying they are rolling it out by VIN and that my parts have not arrived yet.... they said to check back in a month or two and that the service would have to be done at the SC and not by mobile.

I wonder how long it will take them to get to 2019 VINs.

I think mine might be among the last to have been built with HW2.5 (which is especially annoying when they were actively saying that all new cars at the time had HW3.)

I would guess that they would really like to get everybody on HW3, so they don't have to develop and test on three different platforms (HW2, HW2.5, and HW3) and there must be some lawyers looking for a chance to file a class action the moment there is a material AP difference between post April 2019 cars sold with HW2.5 and HW3 (the time period in which they were claiming all cars had all FSD hardware)

Fingers crossed that this won't take forever to roll out.

Last edited:
I was told by my service centre that Canadians could expect to see the Model 3 upgrades starting in February 2020.

So the USA must be sooner than that....

There has been a few limited cases of Model 3 upgrades by the service centers and all are early VINs (<10,000) but they're sporadic which means its still being tested as to how to do the upgrade. Tesla as usual does not like to put timelines that they tend to slip but we shall see. I don't expect it to take 6 months from now but that's where I'll put my wallet as to when they'll start doing upgrades en-masse.

Am I the only one that doesn’t care about getting HW3 until they release actual FSD features? What if the computer they are upgrading gets better and better over the next year? If you upgrade early aren’t you getting a crappier computer chip
1) I’d say I’ll talk it sooner than later if available but I’m going to wait until i hear from Tesla when it’s available, i don’t think I’m desperate enough to try to make service appointments. However, i believe there are differences now between the two, not just the cones. Like dodging ducks or barriers. I wonder if these are available with HW3, because my car won’t do that.
2) to change the chip would mean they may have to recode and they have been woking on this chipset for 2 years or more now, so i doubt they will just update the chips over the next few months. I think they are already working on V2 of their own chipset, but that’s probably a long ways a way.

AFAIK nobody has shown any functional difference between HW2.5 and HW3 other than HW3 cars display cones (but BOTH versions react to them)

HW4 (or whatever they call the next version) was said to be 2 years out during autonomy day... that doesn't mean there won't be a HW3a and a HW3b and a HW3c and so on for minor revisions or just reliability improvements- tons of parts on the Model 3 have been revised like that... last I checked the 980 drive unit everyone loves to debate about was on version F or something?

There was no timeframe announced other than HW3 upgrades would be provided when the software requires it. So far, the only known difference in software between HW2.5 and HW3 is the visual representation of traffic cones on the console.

You aren't missing anything yet, so don't stress it.

The problem is that it could literally be tomorrow that there IS a difference between V2.X and V3.0 functionality if Tesla decides to push an update out. I would much rather have the hardware installed and ready than be waiting for it while people who didn't pay for it over a year ago are getting the new functionality today.

There was no timeframe announced other than HW3 upgrades would be provided when the software requires it. So far, the only known difference in software between HW2.5 and HW3 is the visual representation of traffic cones on the console.

You aren't missing anything yet, so don't stress it.
2019.40.50.1 requires it!