Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-$5K hike Model S LR reservation, best way to transfer/sell after delivery ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellows, I have a Model S LR on order back in June, EDD is October with a MSRP of $79,990.
Due to unforeseeable reasons I am planning to cancel it, but before doing so I want to check here if there's any interest in taking over my order.
I know the reservation is not transferable, but wondering if anyone has experience selling it at/after delivery?

Below are the spec:
  • Model S Long Range
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat
  • 19" Tempest Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior with Ebony Décor
  • Yoke Steering
  • Autopilot

The issue I see with selling after delivery is you are still on the hook for taxes and fees, which will be more then 5k. The car market is crazy now so you might get kore than MSRP but it’s a gamble if someone is willing to pay that in October.

The issue I see with selling after delivery is you are still on the hook for taxes and fees, which will be more then 5k. The car market is crazy now so you might get kore than MSRP but it’s a gamble if someone is willing to pay that in October.
How does the delivery usually work? Do you pay the tax and registration on the spot? And when will you get the car title?

It'll be a little hard
Hi fellows, I have a Model S LR on order back in June, EDD is October with a MSRP of $79,990.
Due to unforeseeable reasons I am planning to cancel it, but before doing so I want to check here if there's any interest in taking over my order.
I know the reservation is not transferable, but wondering if anyone has experience selling it at/after delivery?

Below are the spec:
  • Model S Long Range
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat
  • 19" Tempest Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior with Ebony Décor
  • Yoke Steering
  • Autopilot
May be a little hard since any new buyer, cash, and especially finance will want the clean/clear title ready to go. May take you a while in CA to get the title processed? You'll have to pay the sales tax, etc of course and registration fees then as stated, increase the price by at least all that much to break even + your effort. But again, without a clean title (i.e. you paid full cash and get it in mail) from CA, many won't touch it.

I was wondering the same about a plaid. I have the reservation with $10k off the price and FSD for $2k off.

I'm thinking about building it and selling it for my cost plus $8k. That would give someone immediate delivery (once I have it) of a fully loaded, zero-mile plaid for $4k less than if they ordered one themselves.

It just seems like kind of a pain though.

I was wondering the same about a plaid. I have the reservation with $10k off the price and FSD for $2k off.

I'm thinking about building it and selling it for my cost plus $8k. That would give someone immediate delivery (once I have it) of a fully loaded, zero-mile plaid for $4k less than if they ordered one themselves.

It just seems like kind of a pain though.
Where ya at? Depends on the title process too as you won't have the title clean and clear for a while in some cases quite a white (like TX).

Where ya at? Depends on the title process too as you won't have the title clean and clear for a while in some cases quite a white (like TX).
I'm in California. If I pay cash, wouldn't I have the title in hand as soon as I have the car?
I'm not an expert in this arena, but I also wonder if me paying taxes on the car, then someone else paying taxes the next day when they buy it from me, would wipe out any savings.

I'm in California. If I pay cash, wouldn't I have the title in hand as soon as I have the car?
I'm not an expert in this arena, but I also wonder if me paying taxes on the car, then someone else paying taxes the next day when they buy it from me, would wipe out any savings.

The state DMV issues titles regardless of purchase type so you would never get a title the same day for a new car. So to answer your question, you can’t profit unless that car has increased by at least $7k if your sales tax is around 8%. Most cities are around 9-10 so it isn’t worth it.

If you buy a used car from a private seller, you can get the title immediately but you still need to register it. You can’t just flip it with the same title as that would be considered title jumping and is illegal.

You cannot sell a vehicle after delivery without first registering it. At that point you have paid taxes and reg fees you would need to recoup.

You would need a dealer license to do what you are looking to do.

Isn’t their a loophole of some sort to transfer reservation so the original reservation holder doesn’t have to be involved in the title and registration process? Read some members transferred emails or info in the reservation and new buyer could input their info.

Isn’t their a loophole of some sort to transfer reservation so the original reservation holder doesn’t have to be involved in the title and registration process? Read some members transferred emails or info in the reservation and new buyer could input their info.
That was during Tesla 1.0 when customer service was a priority.

Not entirely sure but if the account used to place the order doesn’t have any existing vehicles linked, the potential buyer can technically take over that account just for the purchase and then he/she can switch accounts afterwards.

1628262744671.png