Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-$5K hike Model S LR reservation, best way to transfer/sell after delivery ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is it in FL?
In FL, tax and registration is handled by the dealer. When you pick up the car from a dealer, you have to pay the tax to the dealer unless you have a dealers license (or if you are financing, the tax and title is included in the financing). You do not visit the DMV and the plate is sent in the mail (unless transferred via trade which also is taken care of by the dealer) for all cars, new or used, from a dealer.

For a private sale, yes...the taxes are paid upon a visit to the DMV for registration but in this case you would have to pick up the car first from the dealer which would necessitate paying the tax at the dealer (at least in FL).

Also a consideration: buyers buying a car from a private party do NOT pay sales tax in AZ.

if anyone needs/wants to unload a pre-price increase MS LR or Plaid reservation car, please let me know as we have an AZ home where this would probably work.

Best spec would be anything withOUT a black interior or exterior color—too darn hot.

Reactions: jebinc
I have not personally tried it but it’s been discussed at length on several forums such as:

Useful links inside

Hi fellows, I have a Model S LR on order back in June, EDD is October with a MSRP of $79,990.
Due to unforeseeable reasons I am planning to cancel it, but before doing so I want to check here if there's any interest in taking over my order.
I know the reservation is not transferable, but wondering if anyone has experience selling it at/after delivery?

Below are the spec:
  • Model S Long Range
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat
  • 19" Tempest Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior with Ebony Décor
  • Yoke Steering
  • Autopilot
I have been looking for one and been discouraged by the long waits. If possible to transfer, I would be willing to take over. Split the price improvement 50-50. Please let me know what you find out.