TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pre Ap MCU 2 Upgrade 2013 Model S 85

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tj1772, Aug 6, 2020.

1. tj1772

tj1772 Member

Just picked up my car from SC. My MCU 1 went out in May. Wanted MCU 2 and was told it was not available. While waiting for MCU 1 replacement, someone called me on July 3 and offered MCU 2 as an option. He said it's easier to get MCU 2 than MCU 1. So, I opted for MCU 2. The quoted price was $2500 plus tax. When I picked up my car today I was given a $600 discount. I ended up paying $1900 plus tax. He mentioned that this will be the price going forward as far as he knows. My upgrade included a new screen and instrument cluster. My IC is not compatible with MCU 2.

The price they quoted me for MCU 1 was close to $1800 (including tax). Essentially for a couple of hundred dollars more I got MCU 2. Well worth the extra money in my opinion. He said there is still a two to three weeks wait for MCU 2. My brother in-law has MCU 1 in his X under warranty and is scheduled for the end of August for MCU 2 upgrade. He was also quoted the $1900 plus tax. Again, my MCU 1 was out while my brother in-law's MCU 1 is working fine. He just wants the upgrade.

As far as the upgrade, nothing transferred. I think in my case because my MCU was out. I made sure the app works and both keys before leaving the SC.

I want to thank @Akikiki a forum member with all the questions I had with this upgrade.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 2
  2. David.85D

David.85D Active Member

Glad it worked and happy they accommodated you. A good sign!

• Helpful x 1
  3. Fortune

Fortune Member

Awesome! This gives me hope they'll be able to swap mine out, as my MCU is on its way out. (Have had multiple lock ups and a few instances of complete loss of audio and AC function)

4. kpeters000

kpeters000 Member

Can you provide your car details, and a copy of the work order/invoice?

5. Plasmid_Boy

Plasmid_Boy Member

Cool. My p85+ (pre-AP) is scheduled for next week. Quoted $2500, but curious if they will decrease it.

6. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

@Plasmid_Boy, your service ticket via the app should have generated an open text conversation. Ask your SC if price is lower. If they don't know, ask them to contact the Las Vegas SC and ask about the Tesla memo that announced it. Save yourself the hassle of asking and hoping for a refund of $600 by working it out before you take the car in.

• Like x 1
  7. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

@tj1772, Great report on your car. Really good news for everyone here.

Folks, did you notice he said, his SC folks said it was easier to get MCU2 than MCU1? Worth checking with your SC and seeing if you can get in the MCU2 line.

• Like x 1
  8. slainla

slainla Member

Did you have to change the TPMS to gen 2?

9. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Why would that matter? Why would you think that from his post?

10. tj1772

tj1772 Member

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  11. tj1772

tj1772 Member

No

12. slainla

slainla Member

I’ve come across some old threads where an MCU replacement from a bubbly screen or failed unit would require new TPMS sensors so I thought it was a fair question to ask.

13. duybile

duybile Member

Excited! Been waiting for a confirmation thread of a successful AP0 MCU1 > MCU2 upgrade! Any issues? Hows everything working?

14. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

@duybile, LOL Not sure, but I think he's out driving his "new" car. :D

15. ‘Merica

‘Merica 2013 Model S 85

I had a service appointment today in which I also requested the infotainment upgrade. I got a reply stating parts were backlogged 30-60 days and I would be contacted when available. 2013 MS here.

16. Plasmid_Boy

Plasmid_Boy Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Just did and waiting for their response.

• Like x 1
  17. tj1772

tj1772 Member

Everything works fine. I've tested almost everything possible. I had to redo all my settings. Nothing was saved in my case. Under trip, everything is zero.

A couple of notes. If you want FM/AM radio stations in your area, sign up for a free Tune in account. Save the stations you want as your favorite. Then sign in to Tune in in the car. It will populate all those stations you set. So I can still listen to local radio stations. Also, I could not log on to YouTube. Akikiki helped me. You have to log on to Plex.tv in the car's browser with your google account. Then you can log on to YouTube. I will post if anything out of the ordinary comes up.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I just bought a new revision C LCD (bubbles on the old one) for my car, and my damn MCU is about to blow @ 98K miles... maybe I will go this route verses going with the eMMCectomy.... FM in this car is crap anyway...

19. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Thank you for posting the service work order invoice. I will see what my local SC says... :cool:

• Like x 1
  20. Plasmid_Boy

Plasmid_Boy Member

SC texted back and said that they have not heard about changes to the pricing of MCU2. I sent them the invoice posted earlier in this thread showing $1900 and waiting for their next response.

• Like x 1