Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Ap MCU 2 Upgrade 2013 Model S 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first hint we had of a price reduction was about a week ago. That was info a Tesla SA told an owner. The owner of that invoice you are referring to. The SA said it had just come from Tesla in a memo. I recommend you tell your SC to look for a recent Tesla memo on the subject.

Just heard back from Van Nuys SC, my car is currently there for the MCU2 infotainment upgrade, they said no deal on the $1900 price, according to their systems the price is still $2500. I also sent a screenshot of the invoice on this thread and he said the price was still $2500 on the invoice and it was not clear why the $600 adjustment was made. He stated it could have been unique circumstance for the OP where a $600 discount was given and not a overall corporate price change.

• Informative
Reactions: ‘Merica
There's been at least one more that got the discount. And at the same SC - Vegas. But he also could not or did not come back and tell us anything about his discount. no why or if there were circumstances that would explain the special deal. Back to the OP. He shared with me is invoice right after he paid. I clearly showed the discounted price. And it led to him starting this thread, because he and I both thought we were seeing a fleet wide discount coming. But alas, it did not occur.

About the thousandth time this has been asked. Who are you asking "any chance"? Us? Then no. Ask Tesla.
Why would they do that? There's not a single report here or on TM that they upgraded for free a MCU1 to MCU2.

But dream on and wait for it. We don't mind. :)

About the thousandth time this has been asked. Who are you asking "any chance"? Us? Then no. Ask Tesla.
Why would they do that? There's not a single report here or on TM that they upgraded for free a MCU1 to MCU2.

But dream on and wait for it. We don't mind. :)
I haven’t been active on here for quite some time. As far as the Telsa warranty is concerned, they have “upgraded” certain things before, for example, door handles, steering wheel controls, and in rare cases “85” to “90” battery packs (when the 85 battery packs were not available for whatever reason).

As the MCU1’s are failing now in high enough numbers that third party providers are offering servicing for them, along with the new MCU2 as it’s “direct” replacement, I would “imagine” that the MCU1 is a lemon, destined for failure, with MCU2 as the solution.

So in short, this really isn’t an upgrade, it’s the replacement of a faulty part with a newly designed non-faulty part. Imagine having to “upgrade” your airbag for failing.

Whatever you say, sir. Hold your breath while you wait for them to install a free MCU2 in your car. Keep us informed, please.
My best to you and makes no difference to me - I hope do get a free one.

Since you've not been here for a while, you may not know yet. They can fix your MCU1, restoring it to "new MCU1 car" performance for less than $400-$500. Using that logic, there's fat chance they are going to give you one that they sell installed for $2500.

I had the daughterboard replacement done in one car (70D) and the MCU2 upgrade in the other (P85+). I think that they are both good options and reasonably priced. The daughterboard with 64gb chip is a retrofit to correct the original flaw and the MCU2 is truly an upgrade, I think.

Reactions: Akikiki
Sounds like you are one of the few people that can help us with your opinion of what you think comparing recent MCU1 daughterboard replacement to MCU2 upgrade. Would enjoy hearing what you see once you have had enough time to absorb the differences.

Reactions: rickyjb
Sounds like you are one of the few people that can help us with your opinion of what you think comparing recent MCU1 daughterboard replacement to MCU2 upgrade. Would enjoy hearing what you see once you have had enough time to absorb the differences.
I am happy to share my opinion but am not sure if it would be useful or helpful to most people because different people might place a different value for certain things. For me, daily, I only use the MCU for climate control, calendar, and FM radio. I don't even touch cruise control (let alone AP, games, web, and videos - although I did test them). In that regard, the MCU2 has 3 negatives and no positives over MCU1. First is the lack of FM radio in MCU2. It turned out to be not as big of an issue as I had feared going in for the upgrade because TuneIn filled in fine. But still inferior to FM radio in that it is interrupted about 3 times on the drive from my house to work each day (due to wifi to LTE switching and spotty cell signals). Second is the low sound quality compared to MCU1 even after adjustments (at least to my ears). And third is the backup camera image rendering. It is usually dark by the time I get home and had to back into my driveway to reach the charge port (wife and son’s cars occupy the garage spots) and the backup camera is completely black on MCU2. I don't need a camera to back up a car, but got used to MCU images and felt that something was missing.
For occasional usage, MCU2 has several advantages over MCU1, which you would expect and gave been pointed out by others, including the speed at which it calculates navigation routes and renders maps, LTE signals appeared to be stronger, and live traffic seemed more current. I am happy with both the MCU2 upgrade and the daughterboard swap, but in terms if the value for the money I would say the daughterboard swap is a better deal ($320), at least for me. But for people who like to use autopilot, I imagine that an MCU2 upgrade is probably the way to go. Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: maximizese
Let me share some info that that has not been mentioned in this thread. Tuner2 - FM Radio for upgraded MCU2 is coming back. EU is getting it first. SC's started telling customers in Netherlands and UK that FM Tuner2 would be available with MCU2 upgrades or separately after MCU2 Upgrades. Cost converted to USD will be about $495-500. SCs were telling customers it would be available about mid Oct - just about now. We've not heard anything yet from those folks, but we are listening. This info was reported on TMC by OPs in Netherlands. Not as easy to recognize the info when reported because had to translate content to read. But clearly reliable posters.

I am happy to share my opinion but am not sure if it would be useful or helpful to most people because different people might place a different value for certain things. For me, daily, I only use the MCU for climate control, calendar, and FM radio. I don't even touch cruise control (let alone AP, games, web, and videos - although I did test them). In that regard, the MCU2 has 3 negatives and no positives over MCU1.

First is the lack of FM radio in MCU2. It turned out to be not as big of an issue as I had feared going in for the upgrade because TuneIn filled in fine. But still inferior to FM radio in that it is interrupted about 3 times on the drive from my house to work each day (due to wifi to LTE switching and spotty cell signals).

Second is the low sound quality compared to MCU1 even after adjustments (at least to my ears).

And third is the backup camera image rendering. It is usually dark by the time I get home and had to back into my driveway to reach the charge port (wife and son’s cars occupy the garage spots) and the backup camera is completely black on MCU2. I don't need a camera to back up a car, but got used to MCU images and felt that something was missing.

For occasional usage, MCU2 has several advantages over MCU1, which you would expect and gave been pointed out by others, including the speed at which it calculates navigation routes and renders maps, LTE signals appeared to be stronger, and live traffic seemed more current. I am happy with both the MCU2 upgrade and the daughterboard swap, but in terms if the value for the money I would say the daughterboard swap is a better deal ($320), at least for me. But for people who like to use autopilot, I imagine that an MCU2 upgrade is probably the way to go. Cheers!

Thank you for the detailed comparison with your use case... very helpful.

I am currently debating the MCU1 swap vs MCU2 upgrade for an early 2015 70D.
I rarely use AP1 and my primary issue is using TeslaWaze on the browser without freezing.
Will the MCU1 daughterboard swap restore the original browser functionality and navigation speed?