TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pre approval of financing

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by broncophil, Jan 15, 2015.

1. broncophil

broncophil Member

Does anyone know if any banks in Cali that does pre approval for financing or leasing of a model s?

I've read a couple threads about people who were not approved after their car was built.

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Any bank will pull your credit at any time for purposes of securing an auto loan. There's no dependency there. You tell them how much you want, they run your credit, and let you know your approval/rate.

The reason people wait is that your approval is only good for, typically, 30 days. Once that expires, you have to reapply. The first application may have result in a slightly lower credit score the second time around, so if you're on the border you may end up with a higher rate because of it.

Honestly, if you're pretty sure you'll quality, if it were me, I'd just wait until two weeks or so before delivery. The purchase agreement has an escape clause where your deposit is refunded if you can't secure suitable financing. There's no financial risk to you for waiting, but there is risk to applying early.

3. Thud

Thud Member

Be careful if you apply for Tesla financing.... they will apply to multiple banks and each one will pull your credit, and all those credit queries will drop your credit score.

4. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

I thought pulling credit check for loans did not make you take a hit on your credit score. Normal checks will but from banks i thought not.

5. broncophil

broncophil Member

i did not know that there was an escape clause. but doesnt that depend on what is considered suitable? say i was looking for sub 3%, but i get 5%, wouldnt tesla say thats "suitable"?

6. Txy

Txy Member

Here is the order agreement: https://my.teslamotors.com/order/download-order-agreement?country=US

7. PlanB

PlanB Banned

It's a big hit, it knocked my scare down 10 to 15 points.

8. mynameisjim

mynameisjim Member

Groups of credit checks count as a single event, so shopping banks within one month is no change

9. PlanB

PlanB Banned

I have heard that as well but I wouldn't rely on that. banks will use any excuse they can to charge a higher rate.