Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre approval of financing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any bank will pull your credit at any time for purposes of securing an auto loan. There's no dependency there. You tell them how much you want, they run your credit, and let you know your approval/rate.

The reason people wait is that your approval is only good for, typically, 30 days. Once that expires, you have to reapply. The first application may have result in a slightly lower credit score the second time around, so if you're on the border you may end up with a higher rate because of it.

Honestly, if you're pretty sure you'll quality, if it were me, I'd just wait until two weeks or so before delivery. The purchase agreement has an escape clause where your deposit is refunded if you can't secure suitable financing. There's no financial risk to you for waiting, but there is risk to applying early.

The purchase agreement has an escape clause where your deposit is refunded if you can't secure suitable financing. There's no financial risk to you for waiting, but there is risk to applying early.

i did not know that there was an escape clause. but doesnt that depend on what is considered suitable? say i was looking for sub 3%, but i get 5%, wouldnt tesla say thats "suitable"?

Here is the order agreement: https://my.teslamotors.com/order/download-order-agreement?country=US

Special Circumstances. This Agreement is subject to the two “Status of Your Deposit” paragraphs immediately above, however, if you have indicated in your orderthat you intend to finance the Vehicle, and are not able to obtain financing from us or another bank lender despite a bona fide, good faith effort to do so, you maycancel this contract and receive a full refund of your deposit amount.