Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre April 2016 Model S recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla voluntarily recalls 123,000 Model S cars over faulty steering component

Tesla's issue voluntary recall while other car makers fail to act and hope no one will notice.
To summarise:
Steering bolts have shown signs of excessive corrosion in colder climates where icey roads may be salted.
Upon failure the steering will still work but needs more effort to steer.
Even cars in warm dry climates will be serviced in case they move to a cold climate.

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
My 2015 Model S would be one of the affected vehicles but I have not received a notice yet (not that there is any urgency in my case since the car has never been driven on salted roads and likely never will). I'll send service an email and see if I can get this done at the 40,000km service which is now due.

Apparently more of an issue in cold climates with salty roads.
One bolt is corroding faster than expected, will be replaced. No effect until it breaks, so plenty of time to replace. Even if it breaks it just removes power steering, which is only an issue at low speed.
It's a Bosch part, and they are footing the bill for the replacement.

Apparently more of an issue in cold climates with salty roads.
One bolt is corroding faster than expected, will be replaced. No effect until it breaks, so plenty of time to replace. Even if it breaks it just removes power steering, which is only an issue at low speed.
It's a Bosch part, and they are footing the bill for the replacement.
Nice to know. Tesla has enough cash flow issues without this one!!