TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pre April 2016 Model S recall

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blue heaven, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

Tesla voluntarily recalls 123,000 Model S cars over faulty steering component

Tesla's issue voluntary recall while other car makers fail to act and hope no one will notice.
    To summarise:
    Steering bolts have shown signs of excessive corrosion in colder climates where icey roads may be salted.
    Upon failure the steering will still work but needs more effort to steer.
    Even cars in warm dry climates will be serviced in case they move to a cold climate.

• Informative x 1
  2. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

Hmmm, would that be possibly why I feel a sort of clicking sound when turn the wheels on a 3/4 lock (not fully lock)?

3. dogphlap

dogphlap Member

My 2015 Model S would be one of the affected vehicles but I have not received a notice yet (not that there is any urgency in my case since the car has never been driven on salted roads and likely never will). I'll send service an email and see if I can get this done at the 40,000km service which is now due.

4. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I had something very similar a while back. They placed a shim in the steering mechanism somewhere and retorqued a few bolts. Problem was fixed and remains so.

5. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

Thanks @Dborn , I'll mention it when I am in next at the SC....

6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Apparently more of an issue in cold climates with salty roads.
    One bolt is corroding faster than expected, will be replaced. No effect until it breaks, so plenty of time to replace. Even if it breaks it just removes power steering, which is only an issue at low speed.
    It's a Bosch part, and they are footing the bill for the replacement.

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Nice to know. Tesla has enough cash flow issues without this one!!