Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Buyers Remorse??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I seem to have flipped from incredibly excited about getting a new Shiny red, Performance, 21" FSD Model Y in maybe a few weeks ... to questioning if not my whole Tesla purchase ... questioning my options..
Reading about auto-pilot issues - and people's thought on NoA etc - will FSD be realized anytime soon - is it really likely to be even more expensive in the future? Maybe its unlikely that they could sell it for more than the $7000
And... do I need the performance at all...? [that's been covered already...]

If I change from FSD now... is it established if this will effect delivery schedule?

FSD shouldn't effect delivery, but they may be pushing higher paying customers to the front of the line.

FSD price has already increased. I'm sure it will increase again when more features are released, but who knows when that will be. My bet is first half of this year.

What autopilot issues? Falling asleep or not paying attention and crashing? That's a human issue, not autopilot. When used correctly, the system is simply amazing.

FSD price has already increased. I'm sure it will increase again when more features are released, but who knows when that will be. My bet is first half of this year.
^ this. If you buy FSD, you're essentially hedging the cost on the future, which will most likely go up. Personally, I won't be using it much so I'd rather use the $7000 elsewhere (home renovations) and pay more later if I decide I want it down the road.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Personally I am not that interested in FSD until it is legal and not morally condemned to do something else while the car is driving. It is already so effortless to drive with adaptive cruise and lane assist, I only use cruise control on the freeway or when I want to avoid accidentally speeding. otherwise the one pedal driving alone is a huge enough improvement IMO in driving manually.

Sure, it is *possible* that next year or after that whatever FSD full rewrite 2.0 could come out and be perfect, but I think realistically it still has a long way to go. Beyond that we're still a ways out from legally being able to not pay attention. I figure by the time FSD is a real 100% tried and true thing, I'll be ready for a new fusion powered hovercar anyway.

Reactions: mgraff and EVJonP
I got the Performance Upgrade with full FSD myself. While I don't think Tesla will open up its full capability in the near future, I do think they will continue to release little perks surrounding owners with full FSD (i.e. Navigate on AP, smart summon, etc.)

The only "option" I continue to struggle with is whether I want the blue paint or the white paint. I literally switch on this every other day. And I'm supposed to be taking delivery later this month?! AHHHH!!!!

I got the Performance Upgrade with full FSD myself. While I don't think Tesla will open up its full capability in the near future, I do think they will continue to release little perks surrounding owners with full FSD (i.e. Navigate on AP, smart summon, etc.)

The only "option" I continue to struggle with is whether I want the blue paint or the white paint. I literally switch on this every other day. And I'm supposed to be taking delivery later this month?! AHHHH!!!!
What's wrong with Black with the chrome delete that's already been done? With some dark color rims?? Oh the struggles are real. I went from Red to black now to blue. I love the blue with white interior look.

• Funny
Reactions: rylangreg
Personally I am not that interested in FSD until it is legal and not morally condemned to do something else while the car is driving. It is already so effortless to drive with adaptive cruise and lane assist, I only use cruise control on the freeway or when I want to avoid accidentally speeding. otherwise the one pedal driving alone is a huge enough improvement IMO in driving manually.

Sure, it is *possible* that next year or after that whatever FSD full rewrite 2.0 could come out and be perfect, but I think realistically it still has a long way to go. Beyond that we're still a ways out from legally being able to not pay attention. I figure by the time FSD is a real 100% tried and true thing, I'll be ready for a new fusion powered hovercar anyway.

Perhaps stop worrying too much about the future promises of FSD and focus on the current capabilities and imminent improvements.

- Navigate-on-Autopilot is a great feature for road trips.
- Using the indicator to initiate a lane-change never get old.
- Self parallel parking works great when you need it. Especially important in the USA because many of us do it so rarely we have no useful skill in doing it.
- Summon is nice to have.

I'm really looking forward to proper traffic light detection and handling. Stop sign detection will be nice, but for me traffic light detection is more important.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn
Perhaps stop worrying too much about the future promises of FSD and focus on the current capabilities and imminent improvements.

- Navigate-on-Autopilot is a great feature for road trips.
- Using the indicator to initiate a lane-change never get old.
- Self parallel parking works great when you need it. Especially important in the USA because many of us do it so rarely we have no useful skill in doing it.
- Summon is nice to have.

I'm really looking forward to proper traffic light detection and handling. Stop sign detection will be nice, but for me traffic light detection is more important.

Hey, to each their own, for sure. Those things are not worth $7k to me but everyone is different.

Was in the same exact boat as you. Ordered a LR on Jan 20 with FSD. Questioned the whole order for a couple of days (this was my 4th car after all) then just removed FSD after about 1 week.
Delivery was unchanged and even faster than expected. Took delivery on Feb 25th and I couldn’t be happier and this is second best car purchase ever.

Have FSD on Model 3, drove it 42K miles in a year.

I feel AutoPilot is what I used mostly, much less if you don't drive freeways. I can live without AutoLane Change. Rarely used NoAP, Summon/Smart Summon or AutoPark.

Did not get FSD on X. Not getting FSD on Y.
Will put $7K in TSLA instead - if FSD happens, TSLA should go up too. And, as stated above - they usually give warning before raising the price with imminent feature coming online.

If you get FSD now, can't remove it later. But uou can always add it...even next month.

Tesla wants to deliver your Performance Model Y THIS quarter with or without FSD. Just sayin' ;)

Reactions: njxman
I would personally not get FSD. I agree with @RoBoRaT in that the Free AutoPilot is used the most, and other current FSD inclusions are novelty and minor conveniences at the moment. AutoPilot (free) is amazing, and is really what I need for now. If the price doubles when FSD is truly available, I'll be happy to pay it knowing exactly what I'll get for my money. If you lease or sell the car with FSD before the product arrives, that money is sunk. No thanks.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't mean this to be too serious :) definitely first world 'problem'..
Ultimately this is so much more money (for AWD) than I've ever paid for a car before - I may as well go all in...
I already didn't like missing out on better brakes 'for free' that I decided to go for 21" wheels... Because I already wanted the performance ...

I think I'll just go with it and stop second guessing.

As for the FSD sunken price.. the optimist in me hopes that it boosts resale value as it would still be transferable with the car.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Was in the same exact boat as you. Ordered a LR on Jan 20 with FSD. Questioned the whole order for a couple of days (this was my 4th car after all) then just removed FSD after about 1 week.
Delivery was unchanged and even faster than expected. Took delivery on Feb 25th and I couldn’t be happier and this is second best car purchase ever.
Wait, you took delivery on Feb 25th? You're the first whom I've seen in the forum to have received the Model Y. Please give us more detail on your new purchase. Any surprises, pleasant or otherwise?

Btw, what was your first best car purchase?

Ultimately this is so much more money (for AWD) than I've ever paid for a car before -

I agree. I would never spend this much on a car. My wife and I are just working stiffs, we don't have fancy jobs. Seems like a lot of people on this forum are way more high roller than I am. It takes a lot of dedication and watching every cent to raise two kids *and* make sure that all of our retirement accounts and a few brokerage accounts get fully funded every year. There's no room in there to light a bunch of money on fire for an expensive car.

But - I just got back from driving my wife's Model 3. I never want to put it back in the garage. I always want to just turn around and keep driving it. I could drive it to nowhere .. forever. The shiftless acceleration.. the precision of one pedal driving.... A lot of times I drive in silence, just to hear the mild "space car whine" it makes while accelerating. I don't even know what that sound is. Is it the motor or the differential or just the wind? I don't care what it is, its great.

So ....... yeah. I always half planned on getting myself a BMW 5 series or something when I retired. I guess I'll call the Model Y my "retirement car" ten years early. The driving experience is too good to ignore. I'm not a "yolo" guy, but maybe just this once..

For me I did not opt for the performance model because I hate driving and want the car to drive itself. I have no need for the FSD now or in the foreseeable future. Cruise control I use and being able to take your hands off the wheel for a few seconds will be a bonus; Autopilot will be a welcomed addition. I can back it out myself. This will be our first retirement vehicle also and not going to gas stations and service centers for oil changes priceless. Being able to again just go for a drive and not feel guilty burning gas for just enjoyment even better. A decade of not going for those drives has not been so good.

I agree. I would never spend this much on a car. My wife and I are just working stiffs, we don't have fancy jobs. Seems like a lot of people on this forum are way more high roller than I am. It takes a lot of dedication and watching every cent to raise two kids *and* make sure that all of our retirement accounts and a few brokerage accounts get fully funded every year. There's no room in there to light a bunch of money on fire for an expensive car.

I'm in the same boat as you. Before TMY I'd never even consider buying a car that cost more than $35K MSRP. The last two cars my family bought were a Ford Focus and a Honda Fit, both sub $20K when all was said and done. The wife and I had just never cared about having a car that does anything more than to get us from point A to point B. Tesla is really the first car that both of us are actually excited about owning and I tell ya; we made things work on paper but we are definitely trepidatious about that looming auto and insurance payment on our $60K TMY.

Reactions: pt19713
Tesla is really the first car that both of us are actually excited about owning
Same. I usually don't get excited over these things, but the Tesla is just so different that what I've had in the past. Plus, our Tesla solar panels are making a lot of excess electricity, so I want to tap into that. Right now, it's just going back into the grid and collecting excess credits.

Also, the speed performance is hard to beat, especially for a crossover. I'm curious how my Corgi will react to all the extra torque on hard launches :)