Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-conditioning and recognizing driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had a lot of these same questions, and I keep seeing unhelpful/nonsensical replies that amount to, “Don’t worry your pretty head about it.” Saying to just activate climate control or defrost, and the battery will be warmed as a side effect of that, sounds silly to me. It would seem to necessarily require a lot less time to warm the cabin or defrost windows and mirrors than it does to warm a 1,000-lb. M3 battery from sub-freezing temps, unless the heat pump had a lot more capacity devoted to the latter than I realized. Is there a chart or formula somewhere that tells how long it takes to precondition the battery from a given starting temperature? Is there a temp. above which it’s moot and we really shouldn’t bother?

Ideally, I’d be able to just say, “Hey Siri, prepare for departure in 15 min.,” assuming I’d previously charged overnight, and everything would be taken care of optimally, while still on shore power. (For some value of 15 min. I live in Florida, so maybe.)

P.S.: I picked my handle for this forum before my M3LR arrived; now I’m feeling a bit humbled. :) For now, I’m seeing real-world battery usage that’s a lot higher than what I’d expected, so I’m looking for any and all ways to do things better. Just letting the car handle it doesn’t seem to be working.