Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Conditioning Battery For Supercharging Not Triggering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last two times I’ve mapped to a supercharger, I haven’t gotten the “Pre-conditioning battery for supercharging” notification on my car’s screen.

Is this supposed to happen every time? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

The last two times I’ve mapped to a supercharger, I haven’t gotten the “Pre-conditioning battery for supercharging” notification on my car’s screen.

Is this supposed to happen every time? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

It will happen anytime the battery temperature is lower than what's ideal for maximum Supercharging speed. The ideal temp for fast Supercharging is >40C. So yes, you should get the message anytime you Supercharge unless you're on a long trip and have been driving at highway speeds for extended periods of time. Even then, some preconditioning may be required.

It will happen anytime the battery temperature is lower than what's ideal for maximum Supercharging speed. The ideal temp for fast Supercharging is >40C. So yes, you should get the message anytime you Supercharge unless you're on a long trip and have been driving at highway speeds for extended periods of time. Even then, some preconditioning may be required.

Thank you for responding! I definitely wasn’t driving for a long time.
I wonder if I should just keep an eye on it or consider scheduling a service? Is this a problem other owners have experienced?

So this happened for me one time. I used the in-app feature to look at the list of superchargers nearby and I selected one. Partway through the drive I noticed that the navigation actually put me to the address of the supercharger and not to the actual supercharger. When I tapped on the supercharger and then hit the navigate button then the preconditioning message showed me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
What software version are you on? It only come into play after like 24.4 I think
Well, I’ve seen it several times before. It’s just the last two times I’ve supercharged that I haven’t seen it. Coincidentally this aligns with my car getting serviced for the charging port, so that’s why I was wondering what was normal. But I don’t think work on the charging port should affect the “pre-conditioning” at all...

Last edited:
Next time this happens, take a screenshot of the peak supercharging speed. If you're not seeing up to 100kw of charging on an un-shared charger, then either you're starting from a fairly high state of charge (greater than 80%), or there is something actually wrong with your car.

If you're seeing 100kw or higher peak charging speeds, then your car didn't need battery per-conditioning; the batteries were already at their optimal minimum charging temperature.

Reactions: Big Earl
Next time this happens, take a screenshot of the peak supercharging speed. If you're not seeing up to 100kw of charging on an un-shared charger, then either you're starting from a fairly high state of charge (greater than 80%), or there is something actually wrong with your car.

If you're seeing 100kw or higher peak charging speeds, then your car didn't need battery per-conditioning; the batteries were already at their optimal minimum charging temperature.

There are too many variables and too little info we owners receive to makes blanket statement like that. Most of it is temperature and SoC but those are only two things you’ll have a semi good idea of what’s going on, obviously SoC you’ll know specifically.

To the OP...just treat the car like a dang car and if you feel it should be doing something that it’s not, then submit a ticket through the app. The forums are so polar opposite on how these cars “should” work and what Elon says via Twitter vs the manual vs old school battery knowledge that it can be a sh*t show. Just drive the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
Look at the dotted lines on the regen side (left) of your power output bar. If there are no dots your battery coolant is probably already at the optimal temperature. In my experience, most of my supercharging happens AFTER a long drive, often several hours. And because the car has been driven for so long, the coolant is already hot enough that it won't need any more heat in order to attain max supercharging speeds. I kinda wish Tesla would let us see the pack coolant temp, but you can use the regen lines to get an idea as long as your battery is below about 85%. Above that SoC you lose regen ability just because of low remaining capacity.

Most superchargers are 120 kw. in my experience you get 120 kw till 49 % SOC and then it starts tapering down to 50 KW by 90 % SOC. I too have not got the preconditioning for SC message but i have routinely got full supercharging speeds as described above.

Most superchargers are 120 kw. in my experience you get 120 kw till 49 % SOC and then it starts tapering down to 50 KW by 90 % SOC. I too have not got the preconditioning for SC message but i have routinely got full supercharging speeds as described above.
Almost all of the 120 kW Superchargers were upgraded to 150 kW (actually 144) earlier this year.