Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre conditioning for other charging networks....

Neilda

Dec 18, 2020
UK
Moderator comment - thread renamed for clarity from "Using other charging networks...."

Just curious - as I haven't seen an answer out there in web land.

I have set up a couple of charging accounts/apps on a 'just-in-case' basis. Let's say I wanted to use a BP charger - how do you warm up/precondition the battery in those circumstances? As far as I can see, my TM3 can only navigate to Tesla chargers and only preconditions the battery if you've navigated to one.

Probably a dumb question - if so, apologies. I'm new to it. I did try to search for the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr H

Jan 6, 2020
Manchester
Tesla have promised to add 3rd party fast chargers to the nav so it will pre condition on the way. Currently it will only do it on the way to a supercharger, but erm, spirited driving is another way

Blokie

2021 M3LR
Nov 7, 2020
UK
..or if you know where you're going, then "pretend" to navigate to the closest SC on the route and hopefully it's close enough to precondition. I suspect it's only really going to be a benefit with the ultra fast chargers - if you're going to a 50Kw charger I suspect it won't really need any preconditioning, but 100+ would definitely see a benefit.

15Peter20

Oct 26, 2020
Norfolk
Just curious - as I haven't seen an answer out there in web land.

I have set up a couple of charging accounts/apps on a 'just-in-case' basis. Let's say I wanted to use a BP charger - how do you warm up/precondition the battery in those circumstances? As far as I can see, my TM3 can only navigate to Tesla chargers and only preconditions the battery if you've navigated to one.

Probably a dumb question - if so, apologies. I'm new to it. I did try to search for the answer.

You can tell it to navigate to the nearest Supercharger and, if you’re within about 30 minutes of it the car should start to condition the battery.

You’ll then need to use your phone to navigate to where you actually want to go of course...

Neilda

Dec 18, 2020
UK
Ha! Thanks... I only do spirited driving - that's why I'm asking. :)

Thanks for the replies - I felt I must have overlooked something, so it's good to know I haven't. I can't see me using chargers outside of the Tesla network - but you never know.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
Elon has promised they’ll be adding the ability to navigate to 3rd party chargers, including preconditioning, however this doesn’t appear to be implemented, yet? Or maybe not in the UK?

NorfolkMustard

Apr 18, 2019
M3P w/FSD
Do you need to do preconditioning for your charge at home as well?

Preconditioning reduces the time you have to sit at the charger, if you don’t precondition then the first few minutes of charging is used for warming the battery too. Preconditioning shifts that heating time to while you’re driving rather than while you’re stationary.

Generally you’re not in such a rush when charging at home.

Preconditioning uses ~13kW on a dual-motor tesla so should be weighed against ~7kW home charger. If you trick it into preconditioning at home you’ll use energy faster than you could add it back again anyway.

If the battery is very cold, the BMS will use some of the home 7kW to warm the battery enough so it can then accept 7kW.

• Informative
Reactions: CD_WE and arg

Drew57

Active ember
Apr 4, 2020
Chester UK
If the battery is very cold, the BMS will use some of the home 7kW to warm the battery enough so it can then accept 7kW.
Yes I've noticed that this week - the app shows greater battery loss overnight than actual. Part of the display is blue & for the first 10-15 minutes on 7kWh the charge is entirely warming the battery with nothing added to % or range.

ringi

Oct 4, 2016
Stockport, UK
Preconditioning reduces the time you have to sit at the charger, if you don’t precondition then the first few minutes of charging is used for warming the battery too

Only when the output from the charger is more then a cold battery can take. Hence preconditioning due to power used can increase charging time on lower powered chargers.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC