TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pre-conditioning on new update

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by torch0395, Nov 23, 2019.

1. torch0395

torch0395 Member

If we chose to pre condition cabin during weekdays, what happens if we don't use the car that day? Does it turn off the pre conditioning after a set time or it just stays on indefinitely? Couldn't find anything on this.

2. BikerPeaBody

BikerPeaBody Member

what exactly are you preconditioning? just turning on the heat or defroster?

but I don't have an answer for this. of course you can just always turn it off with the phone later

3. justsomeguy

justsomeguy Member

I've read that it just stays on forever.

• Informative x 1
  4. BobAbooey

BobAbooey Member

this why i did not turn it on, if i call out of work my car will be "running" for hours

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah my GF works from home on Wednesdays and we have the same issue. If she doesn’t go out early for something else we need to remember to turn it off then or the night before.

Def hope they add a more detailed calendar for this soon. (Never mind the ‘stops at 0600’ just because California does. smh.)

6. Matsayz

Matsayz Active Member

You can always just open the app and turn off the hvac, you don’t even have to leave your bed

7. boaterva

But you have to remember... :) It would be nice if it had a notification for climate. It’s not so bad the charging is delayed if you don’t have a TOU plan.

8. Matsayz

Matsayz Active Member

Other option is to tweet Elon. I do agree it’s amazing how Tesla can create a “wow” option then totally ignore adjusting it for 6-12 months while we’re banging our collective heads against the wall.

9. boaterva

It always gets me how it seems no one at Tesla uses their own stuff. The suggestions we have to provide seem obvious to anyone that actually drive and use the cars. WTF?

• Like x 2
  10. afadeev

afadeev Member

Makes a little more (just a touch) sense if you recognize that it doesn't get cold, nor rains much in Nor.Cal (Bay area in particular).

Thus the interior pre-heating and rear trunk lid rain flooding use-cases don't get exercised, much.

11. morningstar

morningstar Member

I wondered if I was the only one! Hadn't seen anyone else complain about that yet. How do we make improvement suggestions to Tesla? Is tweeting Elon the only way?

12. boaterva

True but originally they tested cars ‘everywhere’. You’d think they would still do that and take suggestions from beta testers. And they do have employees ‘everywhere’. :D

13. TM3blu

TM3blu Member

The Chevy Volt has a programmable 7 day timer, with provisions for seasonal rates changes. In AZ, TOU has different summer and winter schedules. Program the car once, you're set for life.
    I wish Tesla had a simple time on - time off setting.

14. boaterva

This software has only been out for what a few weeks? I’m sure it will be improved to have a full week’s calendar and time to stop charging, etc. it only took how many years to get ‘charge to leave at X time’, right? :D

15. Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue Member

I find it stops charging long before that time and it’s mostly just maintaining the temperature. To the point that the batteries are not as warm as if the car had just stopped changing.

I’ve gone back to charging the car at a specific time to make sure my batteries are warmest and most efficient again. Hopefully they will update the parameters a bit soon so that the batteries aren’t left cooling.

16. TM3blu

TM3blu Member

When I want to start out with a nearly full battery. I set my charge to 95% the night before, then reset it to 100% the next morning. Battery will be warm and car is good to go.

17. enixneo

enixneo Member

Let's confirm this before jumping to conclusions. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm at work now but I'll try to check myself.

If this really is the case it seems like a big oversight. What would happen to my car lets day... over the Thanksgiving weekend? It would run in-cabin heat until I use the car again on Monday?!

18. torch0395

torch0395 Member

this is why I havent enables it yet. No mention of shut off anywhere.

19. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

I have tested this by accident. It does shut itself off after some time. I’m guessing around the 30 minute mark, but I’m not exactly sure.

I work from home many days and checked my car mid day and it was cold. Then one morning I was going to head into the office and realized the car was warm because I set departure time.

I’m sure someone can do a more exact test

20. RickW

RickW Member

I took another car in today and forgot to turn off the preconditioning. It turned itself off. It did use up 1% of battery doing so. Unfortunately I cannot tell you when it turned itself off though. The software needs to be included in the phone app. I was using Stats before this and may go back to it since it does the same thing.