Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Conference BBQ, Thurs, 7/17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you'd like, I can bring mine to take pictures of yours taking pictures! Sounds like fun. I have the lowly Phantom 2, and almost no experience, so I wonder how safe I am flying around a bunch of Teslas and people, assuming its a low wind day. We'll see.
While I won't ask to fly it, I have a growing interest in the Phantoms and would be interested in a quick walk through... (I have no experienced in unmanned... helicopters).

- - - Updated - - -

That would be NO.
My personal liability insurance strangely excludes damage that I cause to millions of dollars of cars while flying an unmanned aircraft above them...
unfortunately, while my job is flying unmanned aircraft.... they won't let me take it for a joy ride to take pictures of all of the quadcopters taking pictures of each other taking pictures of the Teslas. Even if it is just right down the road. Count me out on that too.

While I won't ask to fly it, I have a growing interest in the Phantoms and would be interested in a quick walk through... (I have no experienced in unmanned... helicopters).

Hey, Kraken, you can fly it.

Actually, it flies itself. GPS. You tell it where you want it to be, it goes there, stays. If you reach up and move it, it buzzes back to where it was supposed to be. It keeps itself right side up, rotated, exact altitude, and if it loses signal, it flies up, moves to where it started from, and lands itself. Unless someone deliberately flies over cars or people, everything is safe, and I generally fly it several hundred feet away.

If it's not windy, it's simple, and if it is windy, it just buzzes harder staying where it was put.

Unless someone does something thoughtlessly (I can't imagine... ) the cars are safe.

Actually, it flies itself. GPS. You tell it where you want it to be, it goes there, stays. If you reach up and move it, it buzzes back to where it was supposed to be. It keeps itself right side up, rotated, exact altitude, and if it loses signal, it flies up, moves to where it started from, and lands itself. Unless someone deliberately flies over cars or people, everything is safe, and I generally fly it several hundred feet away.

If it's not windy, it's simple, and if it is windy, it just buzzes harder staying where it was put.

Unless someone does something thoughtlessly (I can't imagine... ) the cars are safe.

It's simple until it isn't. I'm sporting a rather garish flesh wound inflicted by my Phantom 2 when it decided to initiate the above-mentioned homing program while sitting at idle on my dining room table. Thoughtless, maybe (who in his right mind would power on a quadcopter in the dining room?), but it was a huge surprise to me nonetheless when it throttled up on its own and took off. The flesh wound came in when I tried to corral the beast after it shattered a hanging lamp and one of its rotors, flipped over and started chasing its tail, upside down, around the table. Wet cleanup in Aisle 6...

So, in deference to auld Murphy, I respectfully decline to participate in launching a gaggle of flying Cuisinarts over Bonnie's barbecue. :eek:

For out of towners like me, quick FYI...
When going from Corning to Roseville, Navigon gets terribly confused by the portions of 65 named Lincoln Bypass and Roseville Bypass. Don't fret (but maybe silence the Navigon lady) and trust the 17" (Google) map.

- Tess @ Roseville

For out of towners like me, quick FYI...
When going from Corning to Roseville, Navigon gets terribly confused by the portions of 65 named Lincoln Bypass and Roseville Bypass. Don't fret (but maybe silence the Navigon lady) and trust the 17" (Google) map.

- Tess @ Roseville

LOL! I know that stretch very well. It really does mess with the Nav, especially when you actually want the Lincoln bypass (I hadn't actually heard those terms.. just old and new 65). In actuality either route would get you there eventually. Basically, the new road goes direct through Roseville and is a highway the whole time. It is faster if you are trying to get to I-80.

I'm not sure where the Bonnies house is, since I haven't mapped it, but the old route goes more towards Loomis, but is slower and stoplight filled. If you are going on the old road, you'll just use the first stop light after the Nav gets confused. Take a left, and you'll meet back up with what used to be the only route.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome!

It's simple until it isn't. I'm sporting a rather garish flesh wound inflicted by my Phantom 2 when it decided to initiate the above-mentioned homing program while sitting at idle on my dining room table. Thoughtless, maybe (who in his right mind would power on a quadcopter in the dining room?), but it was a huge surprise to me nonetheless when it throttled up on its own and took off. The flesh wound came in when I tried to corral the beast after it shattered a hanging lamp and one of its rotors, flipped over and started chasing its tail, upside down, around the table. Wet cleanup in Aisle 6...

So, in deference to auld Murphy, I respectfully decline to participate in launching a gaggle of flying Cuisinarts over Bonnie's barbecue. :eek:

There are rotor shields. They help. And if it causes concern, I won't fly it.

I see lots of open area just north of Bonnie's at the park. That's an option.

drone 2.jpg

Last edited:
A neighbor just to the west of me has offered their very large (and tree-less) field for parking. That might be the right place. It means that you'll have to walk around the creek (but will be able to see your cars from my place, just the same). And he said that if we do this next year, we'll build a footbridge. (Yes, I have great neighbors.)

- - - Updated - - -

Silicon Valley Attendees: LoriH will come - but needs a ride. Anyone here that has room in their car?

I had been staying away from this thread because I knew I would want to join the fun, but then hey, why hold back,right? For the record I will not bring wheel chair, so it will just be me (and either dessert or vegetarian casserole) in your car.

if I do make it to Bonnie's, that would mean I would also need ride to Monterey on Friday, though that is probably easier to arrange since there will be a gaggle (flock? What's our official term for a group TMC caravan?) going from Bonnie's to Monterey.

:)

I had been staying away from this thread because I knew I would want to join the fun, but then hey, why hold back,right? For the record I will not bring wheel chair, so it will just be me (and either dessert or vegetarian casserole) in your car.

if I do make it to Bonnie's, that would mean I would also need ride to Monterey on Friday, though that is probably easier to arrange since there will be a gaggle (flock? What's our official term for a group TMC caravan?) going from Bonnie's to Monterey.

:)

Getting to Monterey from my place will be easy - you can ride with me if you want. But we'll be stopping to do a short charge along the way & it's not nearly as pleasant as in a Model S.

Getting to Monterey from my place will be easy - you can ride with me if you want. But we'll be stopping to do a short charge along the way & it's not nearly as pleasant as in a Model S.
On the other hand, Lori told me after the stockholder's meeting lunch that she's been wanting to get a ride in a Roadster for a long time. A ride with me is pending at TMC Connect as one opportunity.

My car will have both seats occupied to and from the BBQ.

A ride in a Roadster was on my bucket list. A ride with Bonnie is even better! But then no luggage? I would have to take just my bathing suit.

;)

of course, all that awesome (and yes, technical) female energy arriving full speed in Monterey might cause an earthquake.

slcasner: please hold that ride for me at TMC. At the lunch I was assured Roadster drivers like to go fast, and I am looking forward to it.

Last edited: