Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Cut Tint Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nate704

Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
Where do you guys buy a precut Tint kit? I am not looking for cheap film. I am looking for the good ones, such as 3M, Llumar, Suntek, Xpel, etc.
I am only going to do side windows and have the pros do the windshield and the rear hatch.
Please let me know.

Just an opinion though I don’t know your skills or ability. PPF is a simple DIY and even with minor issues hard to ever notice. Window tint however needs to be near perfect. Any blemish or error will be looked at forever. Not worth the cost to DIY in my opinion. Tint installers are generally pretty competitive in price as there are so many of them. PPF not so much and they apply a Tesla tax.

Please don't be this guy.

1650651089052.png

I bought my XPEL tint from opuspremiumfilms.com after seeing some good references here on TMC. I was really happy with them and Josh was very responsive to my emails. I had never done tint before, but had just finished up doing my PPF, again with no experience.

My tint went REALLY well and I'm quite pleased with it. I did the sides and left the windshield for the professionals. I have not done my hatch yet. This will be my first summer with it, so I'll figure out if I want/need the hatch tinted or not. My primary goal was heat reduction.

Looks like the website is under a refresh or something. It has been that way for several weeks not.

If you send an email to the address on the website they will likely get back to you quickly.

I went with XR+ 35% on the front windows and XR+ 70% on my side windows.

I ordered some random precut tints on amazon, to do my Jeep. Worked pretty well... (I've done tints before myself, since growing up my dad was too cheap to get it done professionally, haha, so I was comfortable doing it)..

If you're going to DIY, my advice, is to use PLENTY of water/soap when applying the tint... I've seen a lot of DIY folks go stingy on the water/soap for fear of getting their door wet, causing the film to stick and form bubbles/wrinkles. Also, buy a squeegie kit. Get one that looks like a plastic butter/cake knife... You'll use that to tuck the film under the door felt.... Any of the other squeegies will work for the rest of the window...

Reactions: JonB65
Just an opinion though I don’t know your skills or ability. PPF is a simple DIY and even with minor issues hard to ever notice. Window tint however needs to be near perfect. Any blemish or error will be looked at forever. Not worth the cost to DIY in my opinion. Tint installers are generally pretty competitive in price as there are so many of them. PPF not so much and they apply a Tesla tax.
First of all, PPF is NOT a simple DIY. I just did the whole car PPF myself, and it takes a lot of patience and precision (if you use very good precise precut kit). I agree that any imperfection on the window is much more visible, but I don't see our frameless windows being really hard to apply the film. (I am not doing either windshield or rear hatch window due to the size and a lot of shrinking involved)

Reactions: DimaCA and JonB65