Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Dec 2014 S Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not done a full redeploy, how could i do that?

I will check the yellow sccm to car connector again.

I think I have a better idea of the issue. When I do a cold reboot (disconnect battery etc, before the error appears, if I put the car in reverse the reverse camera lines are showing the that the steering wheel is turned to the right even though the wheels are straight. So the steering angle is off centre. I am 100% sure the clock spring was centred as the horn/steering buttons etc still work and I have not snapped the ribbons in the clockspring.

So I think the steering angle sensor needs to be reset. Do you know any way to do that on a Tesla?
Ok problem solved.

I reinstalled my original sccm and all was well. I noticed the steering wheel was straight too when put into reverse. The wheels were physically straight the whole time.

Then I turned the clock spring in the “new” sccm one turn to the left, to counteract the turn to the right that was showing on the screen.

Fitted the new sccm into the car. When put into reverse, all was straight on the screen. Full lock left and full lock right, all seems to be fine.

Lesson learned. Not all sccm are removed when wheels are straight. Also when installing the sccm in the car check the angle on the screen when car is put into reverse. If the wheels are straight and the screen picture is not: stop. Your clockspring may be spun.

Reactions: samppa
I have not done a full redeploy, how could i do that?

I will check the yellow sccm to car connector again.

I think I have a better idea of the issue. When I do a cold reboot (disconnect battery etc, before the error appears, if I put the car in reverse the reverse camera lines are showing the that the steering wheel is turned to the right even though the wheels are straight. So the steering angle is off centre. I am 100% sure the clock spring was centred as the horn/steering buttons etc still work and I have not snapped the ribbons in the clockspring.

So I think the steering angle sensor needs to be reset. Do you know any way to do that on a Tesla?
just put car into service mode (access code "service") and there will be a menu option for software reinstallation.

I’ve added all the parts to my 2017 model x for the heated steering wheel, but can’t find a clear answer to updating the vehicle config. Tesla service won’t change it since it’s not an official retrofit. I’m not even sure the $500 Tesla toolbox would be able to do this. Any ideas on how I can enable this feature?

I’ve added all the parts to my 2017 model x for the heated steering wheel, but can’t find a clear answer to updating the vehicle config. Tesla service won’t change it since it’s not an official retrofit. I’m not even sure the $500 Tesla toolbox would be able to do this. Any ideas on how I can enable this feature?
I can update the config remotely, I'll send you a pm.

Reactions: SigRed12
I actually relocated the green wire to pin 5 since that was unused, this way if I ever wanted/needed I could return this to stock.
Hi Tony
I have successfully retrofitted heated steering wheel with all components and cabling, but now Tesla Norway say they dont want to activate the feature.
Do you know of anyone who has a solution to alter the api directly?

yours

Sebastian, Oslo Norway

Attachments

• 313830590_682026186530666_7068206056744941418_n.jpg
    313830590_682026186530666_7068206056744941418_n.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 92
Hello from Germany 🇩🇪
bought a Model X 5seater at an online auction, birthday Feb 2018.
Unfortunately the auctions description was incomplete and only after I picked the car up, I realized there was no subzero cold weather package onboard
My bad….
The car has MCU1 Tegra.
I may have the possibility to get used parts from a similar Tesla Model X, but I’m unsure if the parts may fit my car.
Have a beautiful evening everyone and thank you

Hello from Germany 🇩🇪
bought a Model X 5seater at an online auction, birthday Feb 2018.
Unfortunately the auctions description was incomplete and only after I picked the car up, I realized there was no subzero cold weather package onboard
My bad….
The car has MCU1 Tegra.
I may have the possibility to get used parts from a similar Tesla Model X, but I’m unsure if the parts may fit my car.
Have a beautiful evening everyone and thank you

If you consider this, I suggest not to update car software. Tesla has blocked my methods at 2022.8.10.8.

If you consider this, I suggest not to update car software. Tesla has blocked my methods at 2022.8.10.8.
Thank you tremendously for your answer!
I’m afraid software is exactly version 2022.8.10.8
It seems software was updated shortly before the auction was finished.
Oh man…. Bit frustrating, but it’s my frustration.
Ok, since I’m never giving up upon a project, which parts am I going to need?
I’d buy out the used parts of the damaged Model X 100D, since it seems to be my cars twin, but with cold weather package and premium audio. I’m hoping to get a positive answer from a SeC outside Germany

Thank you tremendously for your answer!
I’m afraid software is exactly version 2022.8.10.8
It seems software was updated shortly before the auction was finished.
Oh man…. Bit frustrating, but it’s my frustration.
Ok, since I’m never giving up upon a project, which parts am I going to need?
I’d buy out the used parts of the damaged Model X 100D, since it seems to be my cars twin, but with cold weather package and premium audio. I’m hoping to get a positive answer from a SeC outside Germany

You will need heated sccm, heated wheel and heater ecu thats inside the airbag.