Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Dec 2014 S Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally I been able to source all the parts, retrofit the heated wheel and get it working fully integrated! To do this you will have to remove the airbag module and modify wiring.

upload_2019-9-6_19-36-58.png

Here is the big challenge. Before Dec 2014 the cars had the old style SCCM with the signal on the bottom and CC lever on the top. Those are LIN communication based, after 2014 the SCCM becomes CAN based. So you will need to modify the wiring harness.

Needed:
Heated SCCM
Heated Steering Wheel
Heat ECU
Updated Steering Wheel Buttons
Wire Harness from Wheel Button to Heated ECU
Wire Harness from SCCM to Heated ECU
2 crimps for SCCM connector
Wire

For the modification you will need to remove the green Pin 6 on the yellow SCCM connector. After you remove that replace it with a new wire connected to constant 12V.

Create a ground wire like above and place it in pin 7 of the SCCM connector.

Then install the sccm, wheel, and upgraded airbag module (same module but with the heater ECU) back into the car.

You will need Tesla to update your config to have heated steering wheel, and heated rear seats. (if you don't config for rear heated seats you will only be able to turn on the wheel from phone app)

This will not give you heated rear seats. You will be able to turn on the wheel without activating the climate from app. This was tested with software 2018.50, so different versions may have different results.

If you do something wrong, you can damage your car. If you wish to do this you will do it with your own responsibility. I'll post pics later.

In some of my other posts some people mentioned they want to get a after market (OE heated wheel) in their car. Is there still interest? I have a idea to make one, also could probably offer kits or install for people if there is interested. However I'm not really interested in looking it into it if no one wants an option. Should be able to enable it to turn on from mcu and phone with the heated driver seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICE collector
In some of my other posts some people mentioned they are want to get a after market (OE heated wheel) Is there still interest? I have a idea to make one, also could probably offer kits or install for people if there is interested. However I'm not really interested in looking it into it if no one wants an option. Should be able to enable it to turn on from mcu and phone with the heated driver seat.
Interest in what? I'm interested in adding a heated steering wheel to my Subzero equipped car but I'm not understanding what you're even offering. Maybe if you explained it more thoroughly you'd have more interest?

Interest in what? I'm interested in adding a heated steering wheel to my Subzero equipped car but I'm not understanding what you're even offering. Maybe if you explained it more thoroughly you'd have more interest?

Sorry, bad typos in that also. Some people in my previous post when I mentioned I was doing this wanted a solution to get a kit to put a heated wheel in their car. Some people have a challenge getting SC to activate features for them. I have a solution that should work, but I already have a full retrofit in my car, so unless someone near me is interested in getting a heated wheel, and paying for all the parts I don't have an interested in buying all the stuff just to try. If they are near me I can help them put it in for free, or if someone wants to do it over email/chat/what ever I can let them know what to get and try it.

If you want to add heated wheel to your subzero car we can do that for sure. PM me and I'll let you know what to get.

Reactions: ICE collector
Sorry, bad typos in that also. Some people in my previous post when I mentioned I was doing this wanted a solution to get a kit to put a heated wheel in their car. Some people have a challenge getting SC to activate features for them. I have a solution that should work, but I already have a full retrofit in my car, so unless someone near me is interested in getting a heated wheel, and paying for all the parts I don't have an interested in buying all the stuff just to try. If they are near me I can help them put it in for free, or if someone wants to do it over email/chat/what ever I can let them know what to get and try it.

If you want to add heated wheel to your subzero car we can do that for sure. PM me and I'll let you know what to get.
Maybe post your location too if you're looking for someone near you.

I'll PM to discuss further.

Sorry not sure what CW00/01 is and cant look up right now. This can be done for any pre heated wheel availability S if that helps you. Oh is that Cold Weather package?? Date listed in diagram is when Tesla included wiring in car and not need custom power.
Not 100% but I believe that CW01 is w/Cold Weather Package (aka Subzero) and CW00 is not Cold weather package.

CW00 is No Cold Weather Package, CW01 is Subzero no Heated Steering Wheel, CW02 is Subzero+Heated Steering Wheel.

@TonyT, thanks for directing my attention to the text in the diagram. This is on my to-do list. For your list of items needed, do you happen to have the part numbers for the Tesla specific items?