Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Dec 2014 S Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys

New on the forum, and wanted to update my TMS 2014/05 with a heated steering wheel as the wife drives it mostly now. And it's pretty cold here.

I got all the parts needed and swapped over today. Found a fixed 12v under the main screen in a connector that is not used. And hooked that up according to the notes in this thread.

I replaced the

SCCM with the handles for drive/reverse/Cruise/wipers and so on.
Heated Wheel
Heated harnes
And steering wheel button from the new steering wheel.

This came out of a front crashed 2015 mdl with heated steering wheel so the airbag was deployed.

When i plugged everything together, the steering wheel buttons did not work. My horn works and all the handles on the SCCM. But no buttons and i did not get any update in the App for the heated steering wheel.

So 2 questions, @TonyT

1. Any reason for the steering wheel buttons to not work? Could they be bad? Any way to check, they do light up.
2. Do i need to call tesla to get them to enable the heated steering wheel to show up in the app or on the screen?

@samppa what did you use from your 2014 model? You replaced the buttons as well?

Any respons is highly apriciated :)

Thanks
IMG_8160.JPG
IMG_8161.JPG
IMG_8165.JPG
IMG_8166.JPG
IMG_8167.JPG

Jan-Tore

I just saw another post that said that i needed to have the firmware/software reprogramed to accept the new buttons is that correct?

This was what i found.

You need to have the firmware reprogrammed for the car to recognize the new steering wheel switches. Reprogramming is a pretty simple fix if you have the ability to reconfigure your car with someone that has some skills with computers or access to Tesla toolbox. The problem is that the old configuration is expecting a LIN wire input, however with the newer setup up, it is all CAN bus. So the switches are sending signals, but there is nothing on the bus that is programmed to hear it.

Thanks
Jan-Tore

I just saw another post that said that i needed to have the firmware/software reprogramed to accept the new buttons is that correct?

This was what i found.

You need to have the firmware reprogrammed for the car to recognize the new steering wheel switches. Reprogramming is a pretty simple fix if you have the ability to reconfigure your car with someone that has some skills with computers or access to Tesla toolbox. The problem is that the old configuration is expecting a LIN wire input, however with the newer setup up, it is all CAN bus. So the switches are sending signals, but there is nothing on the bus that is programmed to hear it.

Thanks
Jan-Tore

I can help you. I'll pm you.

Reactions: rickyjb and TonyT

This was what i found.

Thanks
Jan-Tore

Correct, good luck, Samppa can help you out.

Trying to find the actual Steering Wheel Buttons. Apparently not all buttons have the data lines to the pins of the 4 pin connecter we connect horn and heat ecu to. It finally dawned on me that when it magically started working for me was after I upgraded from older steering wheel buttons to the newer ones! However I didn't realize and didn't try since I didn't know it was a requirement. I will get some part numbers next time I get the wheel apart. Also We are currently doing this for a customer so I will post their working button part number.

So 3 things of wiring are missing.

Power to SCCM, Power in the harness to buttons from clock spring to buttons, and the data line in the buttons, even though most (maybe all) buttons show 4 pins!

And of course the Heated SCCM which contains wiring, and new wheel, in the previously mentioned list of parts.
Do you know when they started using the new steering wheel buttons? I have a late november 2014 build with cold weather package but they didnt start with the heated steering wheel until a month later.

Do you know when they started using the new steering wheel buttons? I have a late november 2014 build with cold weather package but they didnt start with the heated steering wheel until a month later.

Check the picures of the buttons on the back. The new ones have an extra connector on the right side button when you see it from the top.

The new versions have 2 connector on both steering wheel button parts.

JT

I’ve been wanting to do this too. I have a 12.2014 build Vin P65***.

Here are the facts:
Have
- Heated Steering Wheel
- New buttons (already installed in the car and working, did I need to have something pushed to the car?)
- Subzero Package CW01

I don’t believe I need any other parts?

When I installed the buttons, I did not see an extra female harness in which to plug the steering wheel in to.

the heater ec

Here are the facts:
Have
- Heated Steering Wheel
- New buttons (already installed in the car and working, did I need to have something pushed to the car?)
- Subzero Package CW01

When I installed the buttons, I did not see an extra female harness in which to plug the steering wheel in to.

The heater ecu plugs into the same plug as the horn, the 2 unused spots. You will likely need that harness also. You dont need any updates if everything is working. you need to get the heater ecu, and you will need someone to reconfigure your car for you. You also need to add power to the connector in the sccm, and you need a heated sccm. Your getting close. I believe all the parts are listed on first post with exception to the buttons, which were not known at the time.

Here are the facts:
Have
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Subzero Package CW01

Yes, you need to get a heater ecu. Best source is to try to find a blown airbag that has it. Then probably also heated SCCM, you can check if your SCCM left connector has 3 or 5 pins. If 3, it's not heated, if 5 it has heat.
I can configure your car after you have all the parts, I'll pm you.

I just completed a heated steering wheel retrofit to 2017 P100D that had no winter packaged.
We had to add heater ecu into airbag, then replace SCCM and steering wheel with heated versions, then reconfigure the car for heated wheel. Everything was plug and play. Heater ECU came from a blown airbag, heated wheel from a salvage yard and SCCM new from Tesla, was 280€.

@KSG-P85DL+, what do you mean by already having 'Subzero Package CW01'? The car came with it? You have the following heated items: rear seats, side mirrors, windshield wiper area, and wiper nozzles; but don't have heated steering wheel and want to add it? Or you have all the parts to add CW01?

@KSG-P85DL+, what do you mean by already having 'Subzero Package CW01'? The car came with it? You have the following heated items: rear seats, side mirrors, windshield wiper area, and wiper nozzles; but don't have heated steering wheel and want to add it? Or you have all the parts to add CW01?

Yes, car was ordered with CW01. I’m the second owner. I have all these features of the Subzero Weather Package:

- Heated Wiper Blades
- Rear Heated Seats
- Wiper Nozzles (direct jet rather than wide spray)

My UI looks the same as here:
All I know is that it's showing me all 5 seats with the ability to send heat to them, and an additional icon which appears to maybe be heated wipers symbol? Take a look ...
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/3571909/

How does one confirm heated Side Mirrors? I don’t see anything in the UI for it. Alas, no heated steering wheel for my Dec ‘14 build.

Teslarati Article from July 2014 about Subzero Weather Package: Tesla Model S Subzero Weather Package Review

Last edited: