Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Dec 2014 S Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85D is a Dec 2014 model, i have the cold weather package and i would love to make my car have a heated wheel too. I understand there is a possibility of the car having some of the equipment needed due to the date it was made and maybe only needing to buy a heated wheel to make it complete.

if i pull off my airbag and crap what am i looking for to see what parts i need to acquire? can someone please post a pic of the difference between the heated parts and the non heated parts? i'd hate to go through all the trouble of sourcing parts only to find out they were not necessary.

My P85D is a Dec 2014 model, i have the cold weather package and i would love to make my car have a heated wheel too. I understand there is a possibility of the car having some of the equipment needed due to the date it was made and maybe only needing to buy a heated wheel to make it complete.

if i pull off my airbag and crap what am i looking for to see what parts i need to acquire? can someone please post a pic of the difference between the heated parts and the non heated parts? i'd hate to go through all the trouble of sourcing parts only to find out they were not necessary.

There's pics on the first page of this thread. Try to find:
+12v and gnd in pins 6&7 of yellow sccm connector, car side
see if left sccm connector has 5 pins instead of 3
see if you have heater wire going from sccm to wheel

My 2014 MS doesn't have adaptive cruise, only basic cruise. The only heated SCCM that I can see in the parts catalog has adaptive cruise. Can I still use it for the retrofit?
No, you will have to convert to the adaptive cruise sccm. But since you don't have any of the other hardware for adaptive cruise, the system will still just do regular cruise. the follow distance knob will do nothing, but the rest of it works like normal.

Reactions: red_five
Interesting .. then maybe it's both. I pulled it from Tesla's service manual:

6. Perform a functional inspection of the heating feature.
  1. Use the touchscreen to turn the defrost on HI.
  2. Wait for 1 minute.
  3. Touch the door mirror glass to make sure that it is warmer than the ambient temperature.
But it doesn't mention front or rear defrost .. so that was my presumption.

Last edited:
I’ve been wanting to do this too. I have a 12.2014 build Vin P65***.

Here are the facts:
Have
- Heated Steering Wheel
- New buttons (already installed in the car and working, did I need to have something pushed to the car?)
- Subzero Package CW01

I don’t believe I need any other parts?

When I installed the buttons, I did not see an extra female harness in which to plug the steering wheel in to.

Some updates:
- Ordered and received the Heater ECU.
- Installed the heated steering wheel with the heater ECU and New Buttons all together.
- Notice my brown connector is only 3 pins... not 5. FFFFFFFFFUUUUdgeMe.gif

Now I believe I need the newer SCCM (1057356-00-B) and harness (2498689).
eBay currently doesn’t have any harnesses... sooo can I just make my own? All I need to know is the exact part for the ECU connectors and they’re female pins, and the exact part for pins for the yellow and brown connectors, right? Mouser links appreciated!

I have a service center appointment tomorrow, any danger in asking them to update the config even through I don’t have all the parts installed yet? Any danger to that?

If the only setting you are asking them to change is turn on steering heat, then no. There will be no impact to having that on without any of the components. However, I would be impressed if they enabled it for you, even if you had all the components installed. ymmv.

It's too bad you didn't receive the 2498689 harness with the heater ecu. Maybe ask the seller if they have that harness too. 2498689 is a sub-component harness and part of the larger airbag assembly, both of which are not available through Tesla parts. If you could find a used (even deployed) airbag assembly with the heater ecu, it will come with everything you need.

Yes, the sccm must support the heated feature (ie. 5-pins vs 3), or all your wiring and ecus won't mean a thing. Also, ensure you are buying 57356 and not 57354. Part numbers are similar, but the 54 does not have the heat wiring.

The yellow connector is for the airbag wiring, just reuse that part of the harness if you are using your existing airbag.

Reactions: KSG-P85DL+
Some updates:
- Ordered and received the Heater ECU.
- Installed the heated steering wheel with the heater ECU and New Buttons all together.
- Notice my brown connector is only 3 pins... not 5. FFFFFFFFFUUUUdgeMe.gif

Now I believe I need the newer SCCM (1057356-00-B) and harness (2498689).
eBay currently doesn’t have any harnesses... sooo can I just make my own? All I need to know is the exact part for the ECU connectors and they’re female pins, and the exact part for pins for the yellow and brown connectors, right? Mouser links appreciated!

I have a service center appointment tomorrow, any danger in asking them to update the config even through I don’t have all the parts installed yet? Any danger to that?

You also need to add 2 pins to the yellow connector from SCCM to car, you can reuse one of the pins if you cut the lin wire, however you still need one more and I dont think anyone has located the partnumber and where to get the pins outside of the connector from a car. If possible ask for that from where ever you buy your sccm from.

@TonyT , funny you mention that. I just checked my car's CID A/C controls and the graphics show the option for enabling the heated steering and heated rear seats even though I have rearseatheatersinstalled set to 0. Never even noticed. However, the mobile app only shows the option to turning on the steering wheel and two front seat heaters. Not the rear seats. Things that make you go ummmm.

Thanks! I didn't want to post specific numbers since I didn't have a verified list and they change. Airbag replacement is not necessary and I believe is a restricted part. Best to find a used heated wheel with the heater ecu.

From the post...

STEERING CONTROL SWITCH ASSEMBLY 1HARNESS WITH HEATER (1013242-00-E)
STEERING WHEEL BOLT (1011615-00-A) 1
STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE - 1ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL,
GENERATION 2 STEERING, AND HEATER(1043892-00-A)
STEER. WHEEL ASSY, SLATE THREAD, 1HEATED (1036774-01-B)
DRIVER AIRBAG ASSEMBLY - LEATHER 1WITH HEATER - NORTH AMERICA (1036778-01-A)

I pulled my airbag assembly off today to see if i had any of the parts since I'm a Dec 2014 car... but nothing. Also i followed the manual and pulled the 12v and the fireman's loop beforehand so no power to anything but i was nervous AF dealing with the airbag because while I've worked on cars for like 15 years now I've never had to handle an airbag once and i didn't want to set that thing off while i was pulling stuff apart.But i digress.

Question, is the airbag assembly needed? like cant i just use my current one and just add in the 2 additional wires to the yellow plug and if i do add the wires to the yellow plug where do the other ends of those wires connect to? i don't notice anything in the pics about the other side of that just the addition of the 2 wires in the yellow one at the SCCM.

I pulled my airbag assembly off today to see if i had any of the parts since I'm a Dec 2014 car... but nothing. Also i followed the manual and pulled the 12v and the fireman's loop beforehand so no power to anything but i was nervous AF dealing with the airbag because while I've worked on cars for like 15 years now I've never had to handle an airbag once and i didn't want to set that thing off while i was pulling stuff apart.But i digress.

Question, is the airbag assembly needed? like cant i just use my current one and just add in the 2 additional wires to the yellow plug and if i do add the wires to the yellow plug where do the other ends of those wires connect to? i don't notice anything in the pics about the other side of that just the addition of the 2 wires in the yellow one at the SCCM.

Yes, but you will need to add a heater ecu to the airbag assembly. And you'll need wiring harness for heater ecu.

Yes, but you will need to add a heater ecu to the airbag assembly. And you'll need wiring harness for heater ecu.

Can you be more specific on that part? what is the heater ECU and part number, i can't find a part number on the tesla parts catalog for that, and the exploded diagrams dont show anything useful. Maybe a pic of that part so i know what i'm looking for. I know tesla prob won't sell me much if any of these parts but i need to know what i'm looking for before i start buying crap off ebay and it ends up being the wrong part.
Also i had my airbag swapped out as part of the recall, if i buy an airbag off ebay it may be one of the unrepaired ones, if that's the case how do i remove the parts needed while maintaining my recall fixed airbag?

And you'll need the SCCM which supports the extra 2 wires/pins that go to the heater ecu. You can keep and reuse your existing airbag assembly and wiring (yellow connector of the 2498689 harness).

I am tracking the SCCM and all the other parts listed i am just confused on the adding of the wires and where they go. The first page shows adding 2 wires but doesn't show where they get connected to.