Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Dec 2014 S Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some circuit diags for your Dec 2014 car:
SteeringCircuit.png

HeaterTrace.png

PowerFuseCircuit.png

F6 is powered from the Accessory power rail, so relay must be closed before metering it. Sitting in the car, maybe have to press the brake pedal, will turn that rail on, check for 12v at the sccm plug (x160). If you have Steering Heat option enabled, then check for 12v at the 2-pin steering wheel heater connector. I do not suggest running a permanent power line to X160, pin 6. If running a new line, be sure to tap from the Acc Rail.

Last edited:
F6 is powered from the Accessory power rail, so relay must be closed before metering it. Sitting in the car, maybe have to press the brake pedal, will turn that rail on, check for 12v at the sccm plug (x160). If you have Steering Heat option enabled, then check for 12v at the 2-pin steering wheel heater connector. I do not suggest running a permanent power line to X160, pin 6. If running a new line, be sure to tap from the Acc Rail.

Why do you think its a bad idea for it to be a constant hot? Samppa said a few posts back that he recommended it being a constant hot lead.
However, i have to pull off the SCCM later today and try to reseat the plug because i'm getting errors. While i have it pulled apart i can check the power at that one. I will have to put the fireman's loop back together and the 12v battery to test that way but i guess it should be ok to do, i can test it then pull the loop again. If that one is hot when i power on the car by pushing the brake pedal should i use it instead? if so why?

I got the heated wheel turned on this morning by samppa so that does work and i felt it getting warm, just gotta figure out why i'm getting these errors, hopefully it's just i didn't plug in the SCCM good enough but it sure felt like it was good and secure in there.
Steering assist reduced, park assist reduced, auto emerg brake disabled, Traction control disabled, stability control disabled

@red_five, Switches will most likely need changing out. The new sccm does not support the LIN signal wire (pin 6). Easiest way to know is to look at the part numbers on your current switches. Let us know which version you have here. It's easy to pull the airbag assembly to find out, disconnect connectors, flip it over, and take a pic of the part number labels of both buttons. For safety, I suggest pulling negative battery post and disconnecting first responder loop, then waiting a couple minutes to ensure car is de-energized before pulling. In the end though, it's a personal decision.

My switch part numbers are FL 4147 229 19 and FR 4147 229 19, also says 1013242-00-C Software V21C2 and I have a white wire in pin 6.

Do I need new switches, if so what part number?

Last edited:
Yes, I think E should work. You want to ensure both sets of buttons have the smaller connectors (4-pin and 3-pin) in addition to the larger 10-pin connector. You will also want the wire harness for them.

Rev-E has the split buttons (4 distinct plastic buttons); while Rev-F and higher have the rocker style buttons (1 plastic button per side). I believe that is the only difference and is a personal taste thing.

Reactions: red_five
Ok I need to put out a PSA for people doing the retrofit.

Story:
I put the wheel in my SCCM in my lap and spun it around a few times in either direction because it seemed like fun (I dono I'm weird sometimes) anyway the clockspring got all screwed up and when I installed it the car said the wheel was at 818 degrees so I had to pull off the clockspring and rotate the internal piece like 9 times to the left and it then read 0 degrees. I installed the clockspring back on making sure it was in the middle of it's max left and right limits and everything worked perfectly... For like a day.
I was backing out of my driveway and turned the wheel and there was a loud tick/snap sound and the steering buttons, horn and wheel heater didn't work because I broke the damn ribbon in there.
Now the car is at the SC for an MCU upgrade I'd already had an appt for and they are gonna tell me the price for a new sccm on Monday prob. Because you can't just buy the clockspring from them.

So TL;DR played with my SCCM and it broke after installing it

Now a new question would the clockspring off a 2019 X be the same part? Like compatibility issues? I came across one but I dono if it's compatible and don't wanna buy it if it won't work.

Ok I need to put out a PSA for people doing the retrofit.

Story:
I put the wheel in my SCCM in my lap and spun it around a few times in either direction because it seemed like fun (I dono I'm weird sometimes) anyway the clockspring got all screwed up and when I installed it the car said the wheel was at 818 degrees so I had to pull off the clockspring and rotate the internal piece like 9 times to the left and it then read 0 degrees. I installed the clockspring back on making sure it was in the middle of it's max left and right limits and everything worked perfectly... For like a day.
I was backing out of my driveway and turned the wheel and there was a loud tick/snap sound and the steering buttons, horn and wheel heater didn't work because I broke the damn ribbon in there.
Now the car is at the SC for an MCU upgrade I'd already had an appt for and they are gonna tell me the price for a new sccm on Monday prob. Because you can't just buy the clockspring from them.

So TL;DR played with my SCCM and it broke after installing it

Now a new question would the clockspring off a 2019 X be the same part? Like compatibility issues? I came across one but I dono if it's compatible and don't wanna buy it if it won't work.

New heated SCCM from Tesla was about 280€. I bought a new one and installed it to a 2017 Model S, retrofitted a heated steering wheel. No problems with it.

Just make sure that you get the heated one. But it's not too expensive.

Hi,

Thank you for a super informative thread.

Since I am a bit overwhelmed by all the different parts and wires to make this work, I would like to ask your opinion on a perhaps somewhat easier (but not as elegant) solution.

The solution I am thinking of is connecting the heating element in the steering wheel directly to permanent 12V and using a manual switch (or a microcontroller) to turn it on and off.

I can get a second-hand “1036774-00-C” steering wheel with heating element from a local car-parts dealer. If I can move the airbag module from my original 03.2014 steering wheel over to the heated one, I just need to run two extra wires through the steering column to the heating element in the steering wheel to get it working.

This way I do not need to concern myself with correct SCCM, Heat ECU, Harness, button versions etc. The car will not know I have installed the heated steering wheel. It is also possible to reverse the procedure before selling etc.

(To make it slightly more sophisticated than a manual switch, I can use an Arduino and a 12V relay and tap into the power (or signal) to the heated driver seat. This way the microcontroller can turn on the heat in the wheel when it senses that the heated seat is turned on. Then this solution should also work with preheating from the Tesla app.)

My main question is this:

I have a 03.2014 P85 sold in Europe. It has subzero package with heated rear seats, mirrors wipers etc.

1. If I buy any TMS steering wheel with heating element, will the “airbag module” (with all the switches, knobs, airbag etc.) from my original 03.2014 steering wheel fit onto the “new” steering wheel?

2. Is it possible to run 12V and ground wires through the steering column to the heat element in the wheel so I can connect a manual switch “car side”?

Looking forward to hear your opinions.

@Grutneskvink the issue with trying to make your own wire to power the heated wheel is how would it rotate with the wheel without getting tangled up? The pic below is of my old SCCM, you can see it has a clockspring ribbon inside of it that allows the wheel to turn without any binding or lose wires.
Check out 057 parts they are an auto recyclers so they get wrecked cars and sell the useable parts. contact them and say you want a heated wheel kit for your tesla model S. They may or may not have all the parts but that's where I was able to get all the stuff I needed and they were very helpful in getting me the right stuff. They are a small outfit so it takes a couple days for them to respond to emails, but they'll get to you.

P_20210203_161302.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Well, I can see now how that will be a problem. I will definitely send 057 parts an email.

I am also a bit reserved regarding changing parts within the airbag module. Is it possible that the clockspring housing from a car with heated steering wheel fits in my car so I do not need to change the rest of the SCCM? (If I still want to heat the wheel with a manual switch/microcontroller.)

Also, my car is still under warranty. Will changing the necessary parts, and configure in the heated steering wheel in the menu, void the warranty of the whole car, or only the pars that I have changed (possibly together with the 12V battery)? Perhaps I should send my service centre this question before I start changing something?