Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Dec 2014 S Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The old LIN buttons communicates through pin 6. And with heated steering wheel, 12v for heat is in that pin. So it's not possible to have both, you will need newer buttons.

You will only void warranty on the parts that you modify. It will not affect the warranty on the rest of the car.

Reactions: SigRed12
I am also a bit reserved regarding changing parts within the airbag module. Is it possible that the clockspring housing from a car with heated steering wheel fits in my car so I do not need to change the rest of the SCCM?

Technically you maybe could do a mix and match with the SCCM no idea if it would work.
Below are pics of a heated clockspring and a non-heated SCCM. Notice on the SCCM right below the 2 capacitors there is 2 empty holes right next to 3 pins. And see how on the clockspring there is 3 pins and next to it is 2 pins? This 2 pins are the ones that make power go to the heater ECU module by the airbag assembly. Hypothetically if you were to run power and ground to the 2 pins on the clockspring you MIGHT be able to get the thing to work off a switch. But you're better off just getting all the parts and doing the proper assembly. I was nervous f**king around with the airbag but I pulled the fireman's loop and the 12v battery then went to town on pulling it apart.

(NEVER NEVER NEVER pull the fireman's loop and/or the 12v battery while you are plugged in and charging, a fuse for the HV battery somewhere in the system will get fried. Not the main pyro fuse, but some random one and the car will not move or even go into tow mode or neutral).

No issues and it all went together and works fine with no exploding airbag issue :)
However, if you want I'll sell you the SCCM and clockspring in the below pics and you can try to rig it up for your switch idea.

P_20210208_130519.jpg
P_20210208_130503.jpg

Thanks for that suggestion. It seems like a possible solution. However, it now looks more tempting to use original parts and methods.

As i can gather from this thread; if I can get a complete heated steering wheel and SCCM from the same car (for example with a blown airbag) I’ll have everything I need? Replace the blown airbag with the one from my car, move the green wire, get permanent 12V and ground, get help with configuration, and thats it?

1. Are we quite sure I won’t mess up the warranty for other parts of the car than the parts i replace?
  2. Is there a way to test that the airbag signals are still working after i swap it over? Wouldn’t want to crash to figure out it is not connected or something.
  3. If my car has CW01 does it still need to be reconfigured to get the wheel icon on the MCU screen and app?

I can only help with airbag question: no need to test signals since you are not messing with the airbag wires. If you do get a blown airbag assembly, just reuse your airbag and the portion of wiring harness that's specifically for the airbag. The assembly harness is actually two separate wiring bundles tapes together. So there should be no problems separating the two; then mixing and matching as needed. I prefer it this way so I know the new harness has the correct airbag connectors for the airbag I'm using. Newer airbags have a different connector. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that suggestion. It seems like a possible solution. However, it now looks more tempting to use original parts and methods.

As i can gather from this thread; if I can get a complete heated steering wheel and SCCM from the same car (for example with a blown airbag) I’ll have everything I need? Replace the blown airbag with the one from my car, move the green wire, get permanent 12V and ground, get help with configuration, and thats it?

1. Are we quite sure I won’t mess up the warranty for other parts of the car than the parts i replace?
  2. Is there a way to test that the airbag signals are still working after i swap it over? Wouldn’t want to crash to figure out it is not connected or something.
  3. If my car has CW01 does it still need to be reconfigured to get the wheel icon on the MCU screen and app?

3. yes. you have lin buttons, you need to replace with newer can buttons, also steeringheat needs to be added.
My car is 03/2014, I have done the same retrofit.

You can just separate the wires and use your old airbag wire.

Today I installed all the new parts to my June 2014 UK spec. S85:
  • Heated SCCM
  • Heated ECU
  • Steering wheel wiring harness (airbag connectors were different so I used the old airbag harness section)
  • Heated wheel
  • CAN Rev. E buttons
After powering on the IC would not boot up. Lots of errors thrown, including IC_MIA (Missing In Action) and Climate Control faults, CAN 1 bus off etc.

Couldn't reboot using the wheel buttons as they're not deployed yet, so it's still expecting the LIN buttons.

Tried to telnet in to the MCU by using the ethernet from the IC, but it wouldn't let me in. I could ping the MCU, but it refused the telnet access (I'm on V8.1 BTW).

Tried a factory deploy using my T-CAN tool. It rebooted the MCU but still no IC.

Went back to the old parts at that point as was getting worried about the IC. It all came back up working OK. So, now I'm a bit stuck.

I know this thread is about pre 12/14 retrofit but what all is required to add heated steering wheel to a car with December 2014 build date?
Mine is a dec 14 car and you prob need all the same parts listed.
Pull it all apart and look at everything including the yellow plug at the back of the SCCM.
If you have the red wire like mine (look back a few posts for the pic) then you prob don't need to run a 12v line.
Also check the front of the SCCM one side has 4 pins and one side has either 3 or 5, if you have 5 then you don't need a SCCM.
Check the airbag and wiring does it have a heated ECU and wiring or not?
Check the wheel does it have a wire going into it or not? If it has the wire then you prob have all the other stuff and just need it turned on.
Once you know what you have then you can start looking for parts.

Today I installed all the new parts to my June 2014 UK spec. S85:
  • Heated SCCM
  • Heated ECU
  • Steering wheel wiring harness (airbag connectors were different so I used the old airbag harness section)
  • Heated wheel
  • CAN Rev. E buttons
After powering on the IC would not boot up. Lots of errors thrown, including IC_MIA (Missing In Action) and Climate Control faults, CAN 1 bus off etc.

Couldn't reboot using the wheel buttons as they're not deployed yet, so it's still expecting the LIN buttons.

Tried to telnet in to the MCU by using the ethernet from the IC, but it wouldn't let me in. I could ping the MCU, but it refused the telnet access (I'm on V8.1 BTW).

Tried a factory deploy using my T-CAN tool. It rebooted the MCU but still no IC.

Went back to the old parts at that point as was getting worried about the IC. It all came back up working OK. So, now I'm a bit stuck.

I'll pm you.

Mine is a dec 14 car and you prob need all the same parts listed.
Pull it all apart and look at everything including the yellow plug at the back of the SCCM.
If you have the red wire like mine (look back a few posts for the pic) then you prob don't need to run a 12v line.
Also check the front of the SCCM one side has 4 pins and one side has either 3 or 5, if you have 5 then you don't need a SCCM.
Check the airbag and wiring does it have a heated ECU and wiring or not?
Check the wheel does it have a wire going into it or not? If it has the wire then you prob have all the other stuff and just need it turned on.
Once you know what you have then you can start looking for parts.
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I'm installed and configured thanks to @samppa

Just need to add the 12V supply to the SCCM. I have the terminal pins, where do I find the correct 12V supply and ground?

You can ground pretty much anywhere on the chassis, use an existing ground stud in the area. You will likely not have the 12V connection, A constant power is needed to be able to preheat the wheel from app before you get in the car, I got power from the main distribution at battery.

Reactions: red_five
You can ground pretty much anywhere on the chassis, use an existing ground stud in the area. You will likely not have the 12V connection, A constant power is needed to be able to preheat the wheel from app before you get in the car, I got power from the main distribution at battery.

Thanks, I guess there's a convenient grommet somewhere to get the cable through the firewall to the main distribution at the battery?

Nice project, thanks for all the information provided here!
I have installed the heated wheel, heated ECU with the wiring, but one connector (marked yellow in the picture) is left over. Is it superfluous or have I overlooked the appropriate connector somewhere?

0A48D43F-3F9F-4A51-A69C-EAB3F44FB552.jpeg

Last edited: