Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Dec 2014 S Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, my car: Model S 2014. January 16. has 5 heated seats and heated window.
We enabled the steering wheel heater button in the menu, but I'm not sure, what should I replace.
I think the SCCM is ok, but how about button?
What is the 2x6 red cable in the steering wheel?

Attachments

• 20210215_192142.jpg
    20210215_192142.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 20210226_232507.jpg
    20210226_232507.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20210226_232629.jpg
    20210226_232629.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20210226_235508.jpg
    20210226_235508.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 147
You will need the heated steering wheel, updated buttons, and the airbag assembly w/heater ecu built in (airbag itself is optional and you can reuse your current one). Tesla reused quite a bit of Mercedes Benz steering wheel components (as well as other interior parts), so the red wires were left unused in our cars. You will also have to swap out the LIN wire (pin 6) to the ACC rail +12vdc. This can be done at X160 or X158F/X927M as per the wiring diagrams in earlier posts here and here.

Last edited:
I’ve got a weird problem where my steering control buttons stopped working on my newer SCCM. They were working before. I tested with my old SCCM and they work fine. So the problem is inside the SCCM. Besides confirming contacts with a multimeter, which I’m about to do right now, anyone else with any advice?

I’ve got a weird problem where my steering control buttons stopped working on my newer SCCM. They were working before. I tested with my old SCCM and they work fine. So the problem is inside the SCCM. Besides confirming contacts with a multimeter, which I’m about to do right now, anyone else with any advice?
By 'Stopped working', are you saying the buttons had worked with the new SCCM in the past and are all of a sudden not working? Or the buttons never worked with the new SCCM and have only worked with the old SCCM? It is possible the ribbon cable in the clock spring assembly was damaged in the past by being mishandled by previous owner/vendor and the contacts finally broke. I'm also not sure if this can be repaired.

By 'Stopped working', are you saying the buttons had worked with the new SCCM in the past and are all of a sudden not working? Or the buttons never worked with the new SCCM and have only worked with the old SCCM? It is possible the ribbon cable in the clock spring assembly was damaged in the past by being mishandled by previous owner/vendor and the contacts finally broke. I'm also not sure if this can be repaired.

Oh ye of little faith, I’m gonna fix it.
View attachment 641197
Just friendly banter. Not got much to lose.

Last edited:
Hi, my car: Model S 2014. January 16. has 5 heated seats and heated window.
We enabled the steering wheel heater button in the menu, but I'm not sure, what should I replace.
I think the SCCM is ok, but how about button?
What is the 2x6 red cable in the steering wheel?

I am not sure if anyone has this working with old style (pre-ap) SCCM. It sure has 5 pins, but the pin that transfers steeringheat, is used for buttons lin signal there.. so you'll need at least new buttons but you may need to replace the sccm with ap style one. New buttons need to be configured to work (add steeringwheel 1 to gateway config).

Look for a blown airbag with heater ecu.. it's pretty much the only way to find one.

Reactions: SigRed12
If you broke the clock spring assembly i have one lying around i haven't gotten around to posting for sale yet.

If you broke the clock spring assembly i have one lying around i haven't gotten around to posting for sale yet.
Appreciate that... but...

I FIXED IT! Tested and works. Soldering the torn connection was easy. My biggest challenge was getting the ribbon cable back in the proper way and making sure there was enough travel for 2 full turns left and right. Which is how I’m sure that’s how it broke. I remember turning full lock to the right and hearing a snap. Didn’t think it was related. Thought it was a little piece of plastic.

6A0E66C6-3A79-4CCA-BF5D-0EBEBA1C1F48.jpeg

Hello.

Looks like I'm a still a new member and I can't start conversations (private messages)...so I'll post here.

I have a December 2014 Model S with cold weather package, but it didn't include a heated steering wheel. I installed all the parts (airbag with heated steering wheel ECU, heated steering wheel, and SCCM with heater support) a couple months ago and finally got to the service center just to find out they refused to update the config for me! Is there someone who can help me with updating my vehicle config? Thanks so much in advance.

Hello.

Looks like I'm a still a new member and I can't start conversations (private messages)...so I'll post here.

I have a December 2014 Model S with cold weather package, but it didn't include a heated steering wheel. I installed all the parts (airbag with heated steering wheel ECU, heated steering wheel, and SCCM with heater support) a couple months ago and finally got to the service center just to find out they refused to update the config for me! Is there someone who can help me with updating my vehicle config? Thanks so much in advance.
I can help you, I'll send you a pm.

Reactions: Dannietjoh
Yeah the SC will not do that for you as you doing a retrofit isn't official hardware and they wont touch it. Like in my case they turned it on because i had Samppa do it originally but when i did the MCU2 upgrade they removed it and i told them if i have all the heated parts and it was a working heated wheel before the MCU2 upgrade y'all need to turn it back on and they did it OTA in a couple hours.
However, even if I'd not had it turned on before the MCU2 upgrade I'm pretty sure i could convince them it was a glitch and they need to turn it on considering how all the parts were there along with the full sub-zero package anyway.

Yeah the SC will not do that for you as you doing a retrofit isn't official hardware and they wont touch it.
It's interesting because a couple of years ago I put in the tilt/intrusion module myself and took it to another SC closer to my house to do it, and they actually turned the feature on for me. Seems like an inconsistent policy in my point of view (or someone was doing me a solid favor).

Like in my case they turned it on because i had Samppa do it originally but when i did the MCU2 upgrade they removed it and i told them if i have all the heated parts and it was a working heated wheel before the MCU2 upgrade y'all need to turn it back on and they did it OTA in a couple hours.
Yes I'm still on MCU1 here thankfully (I got the eMMC replaced 3rd party...and I like my XM and AM radios :D) so looks like I have a path forward thanks.

Does such a thing exist? The one thing I miss from my old SCCM was that "Disengage Autopilot" button at the end of that stalk.

New SCCM doesn't have it. :/
Yes, I just did the switch to heated steering myself on my 2014. Both old and new SCCMs have this switch. The new part number in my car is 1043892-00-A. Must’ve gotten rid of it around late 2015-16 for cost reasons.

Reactions: KSG-P85DL+
I can help you, I'll send you a pm.
@samppa

I have an issue. I’ve replaced the sccm in preparation for the heated steering retrofit. The part number is the one ending 57 and it has the extra pins. I have added the new steering wheel but the buttons and the airbag are the same.

After every cold boot and full turn to the right the mcu2 has a bunch of errors. The sccm is from a model x that was not in a crash but had very old software (I looks like version 7/8). After powering down the errors disappear, but soon come back.

am I out of luck? Could to be a bad part? All the buttons and stalks work fine. Any advice appreciated.

P.s. the car is downloading an update right now. Might that be related? I’ll wait for it to complete before replacing my old sccm back.

F406038E-809E-4BE8-8027-1C93A44ED9FE.jpeg

@samppa

I have an issue. I’ve replaced the sccm in preparation for the heated steering retrofit. The part number is the one ending 57 and it has the extra pins. I have added the new steering wheel but the buttons and the airbag are the same.

After every cold boot and full turn to the right the mcu2 has a bunch of errors. The sccm is from a model x that was not in a crash but had very old software (I looks like version 7/8). After powering down the errors disappear, but soon come back.

am I out of luck? Could to be a bad part? All the buttons and stalks work fine. Any advice appreciated.

P.s. the car is downloading an update right now. Might that be related? I’ll wait for it to complete before replacing my old sccm back.

View attachment 756255
have you done a full redeploy?

also sounds more like you have a bad connection somewhere, if it happens at full turn. Check the yellow sccm connector that it's seated properly.

I don't know any way to enable steeringheat with mcu2.

have you done a full redeploy?

also sounds more like you have a bad connection somewhere, if it happens at full turn. Check the yellow sccm connector that it's seated properly.

I don't know any way to enable steeringheat with mcu2.
I have not done a full redeploy, how could i do that?

I will check the yellow sccm to car connector again.

I think I have a better idea of the issue. When I do a cold reboot (disconnect battery etc, before the error appears, if I put the car in reverse the reverse camera lines are showing the that the steering wheel is turned to the right even though the wheels are straight. So the steering angle is off centre. I am 100% sure the clock spring was centred as the horn/steering buttons etc still work and I have not snapped the ribbons in the clockspring.

So I think the steering angle sensor needs to be reset. Do you know any way to do that on a Tesla?