Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Dec 2014 S Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's worthless to do anything unless you can get the gateway config changed (friend at the service center, basically).

Because people on here refuse to share information about how to access/unlock/change the gateway if you haven't rooted your car, no one can really communally progress things. Some other way to gwxfer, some elevated privileges to the API or just other params? Who knows. Tesla will block things or not at their whim, it's not like they don't know about any holes. People keep it close because they are making money monopolizing the info. Unlike any other hardware hacking community I've ever seen. Just greedy people. I guess that's the eastern european/russian way against others.

Sorry to be blunt, but it's frustrating to deal with such people. Expect to try to figure it out from scratch and sit poking at APIs and wireshark interceptions etc. forever with your dash taken apart. While some dirtbag says they'll give you the info on how to downgrade software for $500.

Your main option it to take your MCU apart to get at the sd card and linux filesystem it all runs on to give yourself root, however, finding the info on how to keep that low-key and still connected to tesla network and able to upgrade software versions, with bootloader scripts and whatnot is part of the guarded info that's very very difficult to find out. But at least then you can change your gateway config and use the heated steering wheel you put in.

Pardon the rant but bloody hell.

It's worthless to do anything unless you can get the gateway config changed (friend at the service center, basically).

Because people on here refuse to share information about how to access/unlock/change the gateway if you haven't rooted your car, no one can really communally progress things. Some other way to gwxfer, some elevated privileges to the API or just other params? Who knows. Tesla will block things or not at their whim, it's not like they don't know about any holes. People keep it close because they are making money monopolizing the info. Unlike any other hardware hacking community I've ever seen. Just greedy people. I guess that's the eastern european/russian way against others.

Sorry to be blunt, but it's frustrating to deal with such people. Expect to try to figure it out from scratch and sit poking at APIs and wireshark interceptions etc. forever with your dash taken apart. While some dirtbag says they'll give you the info on how to downgrade software for $500.

Your main option it to take your MCU apart to get at the sd card and linux filesystem it all runs on to give yourself root, however, finding the info on how to keep that low-key and still connected to tesla network and able to upgrade software versions, with bootloader scripts and whatnot is part of the guarded info that's very very difficult to find out. But at least then you can change your gateway config and use the heated steering wheel you put in.

Thankfully there are people here willing to volunteer their time and knowledge (offline) to get these configs changed remotely for those that ask nicely.

Reactions: henderrj

There was a lot of info for MCU1. Could the same be done for MCU2?

Wiring in an aftermarket wheel do you know what wire goes where when it comes to heat.
Factory wheel has 2 red 2 red with black stripe wires. Those plug into black, peach, grey and brown. Red-black, red-peach , red/black stripe-grey, red/black stripe - brown.

New wheel has 4 wires a positive and negative for each side. Just need to know how to wire factory plug off the factory wheel to the new wheel.

Wiring in an aftermarket wheel do you know what wire goes where when it comes to heat.
Factory wheel has 2 red 2 red with black stripe wires. Those plug into black, peach, grey and brown. Red-black, red-peach , red/black stripe-grey, red/black stripe - brown.

New wheel has 4 wires a positive and negative for each side. Just need to know how to wire factory plug off the factory wheel to the new wheel.
Dang. My aftermarket wheel came with the plug.

QNIHKF5.jpeg

Reactions: Alobalo
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't – you're right,”

here are the options that I investigated before doing the mod:

Free: ask the service tech nicely to enable the config for a few DIY items the car is in for service. It worked for me, the tech was impressed by the DIY mods too - digital radio after MCU2, spoiler, fog lights, heated steering wheel and heated washer nozzles. I was only charged for the cable from MCU2 to Radio module.

Obviously car had the mods fitted before booking the service appointment. My car was in for warranty work for over a week with MCU2 radio/wifi issue- they did not fix so may have helped.

Other options, not tried:
Non free: sign up for DIY Tesla Toolbox 3 access, this costs money (€30/day) and requires a cable (€20?), but Toolbox 3 is what the tech said he used to activate the features. Tech even suugested I could get toolbox myself to access to activate the mods, it took about 5 minutes + testing time for each mod.

Non Free: Ask Tesla to bill you for the Toolbox 3 activation, should be 30-60 mins max.

Non Free: Find someone with an aftermarket tool (search ebay tesla diagnostic)

Free: ask the service tech nicely to enable the config for a few DIY items the car is in for service. It worked for me, the tech was impressed by the DIY mods too - digital radio after MCU2, spoiler, fog lights, heated steering wheel and heated washer nozzles. I was only charged for the cable from MCU2 to Radio module.

Obviously car had the mods fitted before booking the service appointment. My car was in for warranty work for over a week with MCU2 radio/wifi issue- they did not fix so may have helped.

Non free: sign up for DIY Tesla Toolbox 3 access, this costs money (€30/day) and requires a cable (€20?), but Toolbox 3 is what the tech said he used to activate the features. Tech even suugested I could get toolbox myself to access to activate the mods, it took about 5 minutes + testing time for each mod.

Non Free: Ask Tesla to bill you for the Toolbox 3 activation, should be 30-60 mins max.

Customer version of Toolbox 3 has no options for activating these features.

Is the Tesla Toolbox 3 subscription much less in the UK? Here in the US, it is USD$165 for a day, USD$500 for a month, and USD$3,000 for a year. Thank you.

Hello all,
Apologies if this is not the right thread but I was not able to find any other threads.

I want to update the steering wheel stalks to the 2017+ style where the indicator switch is top left (instead of the cruise control) on my pre facelift model S. I have the new clock spring installed and all the switches work but now the steering wheel buttons do not, so no voice commands, volume or temp controls.

I have done both a full software reinstall and reinstalled updates but neither have resolved the non functioning steering wheel buttons.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Hello all,
Apologies if this is not the right thread but I was not able to find any other threads.

I want to update the steering wheel stalks to the 2017+ style where the indicator switch is top left (instead of the cruise control) on my pre facelift model S. I have the new clock spring installed and all the switches work but now the steering wheel buttons do not, so no voice commands, volume or temp controls.

I have done both a full software reinstall and reinstalled updates but neither have resolved the non functioning steering wheel buttons.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?
I think you have to update the buttons to the newer style as well

Reactions: oritomov
bringing this back from the dead as I have a 2013 without the heated wheel and I want to add it. I have a steering wheel/air bag/sccm from a 2015 with the heated wheel...what else is needed?
Access to the gateway config setting to enable the software to control the heated wheel as well as +12V from somewhere in the car to heat the wheel. You will want to study the wiring schematics (available for free after registering at service.tesla.com) to ensure you wire up the sccm correctly.

Access to the gateway config setting to enable the software to control the heated wheel as well as +12V from somewhere in the car to heat the wheel. You will want to study the wiring schematics (available for free after registering at service.tesla.com) to ensure you wire up the sccm correctly.
Ok just wanted to make sure I got what I needed from the donor. Do you know off hand what wiring is different ?

Ok just wanted to make sure I got what I needed from the donor. Do you know off hand what wiring is different ?
There may not be a large enough +12vdc/Gnd wire pair from the fuse box to the car-side SCCM for the heated wheel element. You may also need the thumb wheel/rockers if yours is of the older LIN style vs newer CAN style required for the heated SCCM. That’s just off the top of my head. Be sure to check the service schematics for your particular flavor of vehicle.

Hey all, any idea if there's a way yet to access the gateway config setting on the latest software (MCU2) with CW00, or if befriending someone at the SC is our only option (if this is even possible for them to enable)? I'm strongly considering this retrofit for my 2016.5 MS but would want it reflected on my vehicle's software. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello,

New member here. I am in the process of adding an heated steering wheel to my 2015 P85D. I have purchased the heated steering wheel and correct steering column, but based on the previous posts, it appears that Tesla will not install the required firmware. So I have been looking at trying one of the following 2 options.

Option 1: Connect the positive and negative leads from the heated driver seat directly to the heated steering wheel leads. Therefore, whenever I activate the heated seat, the heated steering wheel is activated.

Option 2: connect positive and negative leads directly to the heated steering wheel, and activate the heated steering wheel with a variable/multiple setting switch (available aftermarket units on eBay for this purpose). Any thought on either option? Thanks, Ken